Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > MMA

Old 11-04-2009, 04:18 AM
atomdanger

Default m-1 and Fedor sue Affliction

Quote:
http://www.cagepotato.com/hey-afflic...are-suing-yall
http://mmapayout.com/2009/11/emelian...by-affliction/

The cancellation of Affliction: Trilogy and the circumstances surrounding it are at the heart of the allegations. According to the complaint:

Plaintiff is informed, believes, and based thereon alleges Affliction intended to sign Brett Rogers to fight in Affliction: Trilogy and intended to go forward with the event if the UFC deal failed, but intended to cancel [the event] if the UFC deal closed. Brett Rogers was ready, willing, and able to fight Emelianenko in [the event], but instead of honoring its promises to Emelianenko and M-1 by signing Rogers, Affliction elected to serve its own financial interests at the expense of its partners.
Any legal experts?
Old 11-04-2009, 05:24 AM
WAR CARDINALS!

I'm a certified attorney at LOL

They might have a case if they can prove that Affliction was in breach of a contract they already had. They also may be entitled to some damages if they can actually prove that Affliction acted dishonestly and it ended up causing M-1 Global some sort of damage. I still think it's a long-shot that anything comes of this LOLsuit.
Old 11-04-2009, 01:50 PM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan

All this just seems a little desperate to me. Trilogy got tanked 3 months ago, & they're just now bringing the suit? Just take your network co-deal-thingy & be happy!
Old 11-04-2009, 03:09 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCURamFan View Post
All this just seems a little desperate to me. Trilogy got tanked 3 months ago, & they're just now bringing the suit? Just take your network co-deal-thingy & be happy!
Yeah, but not every case can be filed with LegalZoom.com

Sometimes it takes time to build your case and go over all the paperwork involved. I honestly doubt that Affliction would be so stupid as to breach any sort of written agreement of that magnitude so it seems like it would be cut and dry. Still, if M-1 can prove that they did, then Affliction could be in trouble.
Old 11-04-2009, 03:22 PM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB Rattlesnake View Post
Yeah, but not every case can be filed with LegalZoom.com

Sometimes it takes time to build your case and go over all the paperwork involved. I honestly doubt that Affliction would be so stupid as to breach any sort of written agreement of that magnitude so it seems like it would be cut and dry. Still, if M-1 can prove that they did, then Affliction could be in trouble.
Gonna have to sell a lot of t-shirts to pay that off!
Old 11-04-2009, 03:36 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Gonna have to sell a lot of t-shirts to pay that off!
Well, their shirts are expensive enough so they should have no problem, lol
Old 11-04-2009, 03:46 PM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB Rattlesnake View Post
Well, their shirts are expensive enough so they should have no problem, lol
I'm not so sure. When the Russian Mob gets their hooks in, they're not going to settle on any sort of easily-attainable amount. They wanna have you in debt to them for a looooong while.
Old 11-04-2009, 07:02 PM
atomdanger

Quote:
I'm not so sure. When the Russian Mob gets their hooks in, they're not going to settle on any sort of easily-attainable amount. They wanna have you in debt to them for a looooong while.
I certainly would not want to have those guys on my bad side.
Old 11-04-2009, 07:19 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Yeah, but this ain't Russia, and it's not the 70's. The judge will likely decide what they get, if they get anything at all.

I don't really see any reason at this point that Affliction would actually settle with them, because if this is actually a lawsuit over breach of contact then the details are probably pretty cut and dry. They either breached the contract or they didn't. You would think that if Affliction actually DID breach a contract that they would have already tried to settle the case, which is also something else I not have read in the media either.

Sometimes there is lack of clarity in the wording of contracts, and lawyers try to use that to make their case, but we don't really know what the contract said. If that is the case, or if both parties are trying to use a loophole to make their argument, then it becomes the judge's sole discretion as to how he rules the case, and it can be a toss up.

Really, there is just not enough information right now to comment very much on this case. Until the facts of what was in the contracts come out, it is all just speculation.
Old 11-05-2009, 04:09 AM
I'm kind of a big deal

Good, I hope they win, then Affliction will not be able to afford to make those stupid t-shirts anymore. I get sick of seeing those all the time. Only about 5% of the people who wear them even know what Affliction is. It's stupid IMO.