Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > Training/Nutrition

Old 11-01-2009, 01:27 AM
Conrad

Default knee pain

I get some immediate knee pain when doing light swuats, but I think it's just breaking up scar tissues. It doesn't linger. Of course, stop when it hurts to prevent perma-damage...which is what I'm working with, perma-damage.

Anyway, anyone wanna characterize scar tissue pain? You experience with knee pain?

Also, I've started more stretching beyond just the exercise times to take care of interfering factors that might be a cause.

thank you
Old 11-02-2009, 04:46 AM
gymcoach97

Are you squatting properly? Are you sitting your hips back and engaging more of the glutes and hamstrings as opposed to buckling your knees forward and overloading the quads - which puts a lot of stress on the knee and the patellar tendon, especially?

You may have some other issues going on. Do your knees buckle inward (knee valgus) in your descent? If so, that might indicate glute medius weakness, but it may also be glute max weakness as some research has shown that in deep flexion, the glute med actually turns into a hip internal rotator versus an external rotator. Therefore, this would shift the emphasis on the glute max. The external rotators of the hip, such as the glute med/max, control the rotation of the femur and this affects what happens at the knee.

You may suffer from a hip internal rotation deficit as I do and this could affect your squat pattern.

My suggestion - find a good trainer/strength coach or even a physical therapist who knows their sh** and have them watch you squat and give you some feedback. Also, have them check your ROM for any asymmetries from side-to-side or other movement dysfunction and you might be able to solve your knee pain.
Old 11-03-2009, 06:07 AM
Conrad

Quote:
Originally Posted by gymcoach97 View Post
Are you squatting properly? Are you sitting your hips back and engaging more of the glutes and hamstrings as opposed to buckling your knees forward and overloading the quads - which puts a lot of stress on the knee and the patellar tendon, especially?

You may have some other issues going on. Do your knees buckle inward (knee valgus) in your descent? If so, that might indicate glute medius weakness, but it may also be glute max weakness as some research has shown that in deep flexion, the glute med actually turns into a hip internal rotator versus an external rotator. Therefore, this would shift the emphasis on the glute max. The external rotators of the hip, such as the glute med/max, control the rotation of the femur and this affects what happens at the knee.

You may suffer from a hip internal rotation deficit as I do and this could affect your squat pattern.

My suggestion - find a good trainer/strength coach or even a physical therapist who knows their sh** and have them watch you squat and give you some feedback. Also, have them check your ROM for any asymmetries from side-to-side or other movement dysfunction and you might be able to solve your knee pain.

1) Proper form, yes.

2) No knee valgus on descent, no buckling inward that's visible, trying to look down with my eyeballs, but I believe there may be a glute medius weakness based on what I feel back there and your other comments. My feet are ducking almost an inch total more than they "should." That might be caused by internal rotation at the hip if I remember by kenise right. Thanks. I'll watch for that more.

3) Finding someone - Thanks. will do. -- Those asymmetries are killers.

Mostly I'm working on getting back into iron, which I did not do enough of immediately after rehab. I'm working with weights just heavy enough for form to find the trouble spots (working around permanent injuries). It's annoyingly slow. The rear squats don't do this. Thanks for the note on glute med. That's useful. I still think much of it is scar tissue, based on location, but I want to be cautious with form/weaknesses. (Doing computer work ruins your body if you let it.)