Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > MMA

Old 11-02-2009, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyburn View Post
Define "holding out"

I was trying to get my artical published in a real magazine

I have knowledge of his future plans outside of active competition, I know about his mental health issues. I know more then whats in that artical anyway, alot of stuff is contained in a fifteen moment dialogue that he gave to me

But you have to remember Jens Pulver is also a bit like the atmosphere of a gas giant, there are windspeeds of extreme velocity, one moment absolutely nothing, the next moment a very strong wind. He changes mood rapidly. Within the hour and a half I saw him he'd been several different people almost, like a lot of fast flowing streams though you can say something, and the whole watercourse changes direction.

When he first arrived at the table he was happy, but seconds after he started talking to Mr Mckinnon, he became quite muted, a bit sullan, and then he became protected when they started talking about the spiritual happenings that were going on in his life. Its as if he had clarity in his mind and dared not let what they were saying influence his conceptions or else he'd find himself lost again, Then he cheered up some when he talked about his future plans and his ideals, and by the time he was talking about his medical issues, he was positively hyper, I mean, hyper. Then we started talking and he became angry, and he started saying...things...I discovered I could switch conversations with a few words, so I'd let him go and then I'd change his course everyso often, if I felt he needed regning in, See he would be set off and it would be like wind to a set of smoulders, they would spark and catch alight again, sometimes that was good...and sometimes I just had to snap him out of that cyclical mode before it was all he could think about...do you understand?
Yes, it is called "flight of ideas". I can guess a diagnosis by your description. I didn't want you to break a confidence . . . just drop a hint . . . like: "I have a feeling Jens isn't done fighting!"
Old 11-02-2009, 07:45 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Play The Man View Post
Yes, it is called "flight of ideas". I can guess a diagnosis by your description. I didn't want you to break a confidence . . . just drop a hint . . . like: "I have a feeling Jens isn't done fighting!"
Well I've ALWAYS said that I thought Jens wasnt done fighting...or rather then we didnt know.

I Didnt know he had come back...what I knew was that he had been shelved, and had since told the UFC that his circumstances had changed and he believed he could go again...his words were "I'm prepared to risk it all" BUT he just said he felt they needed a bit of..."convincing" obviously in the last month he's given them whatever they felt they needed

The thing is the UFC have just cottoned onto the fact that they can market fighters on a personality basis. They kinda just discovered what ive been rattling on about since 2006, that sometimes the person can matter more. They tried this between Jens Pulver and Urijah Faber...and it worked so well, that everyone whose fought him sinse, has expressed almost repentance at gaining victory, and whilst their stock has stayed the same...have you seen Josh Grispi since Jens Pulver?? Leonard, bless his golden heart is out of contention for the time being, Urijah Faber has flat-lined so dramatically...and Urijah made a point of being as Gracious in the run up to both fights as Jens was to him, Leonard expressed his thoughts to me, and Josh Grispi nearly burst into tears during his post fight interview. the Insitution cant MAKE that happen, and now it has, they see that win or lose, for at least a while Jens Pulver is still a social phenomina that they could use.

You wait til his opponent is known. They will ask him some honnest questions, and he'll tell you all about his most recent overcoming, and once again the people will wish against all probability for Jens to win...if he does, then suddenly he'll be hoisted, and if he doesnt...well pity the guy whose just beaten him...because the public will have the same reaction I bet as before.

Just like with Randy Couture...who cares what the outcome of his fight against Brandon Vera is...Can Couture lose ANYTHING in the eyes of the public...these two are the FIRST to have developed a fan base souly on who they are. Neither have the best record...neither are classed orthodox as pound for pound, neither have had such a good run of it in the past year.

..and finally, Everyone is discovering, it actually doesnt matter, because who they are and what they have been through and the ikons they have become have been noticed by even Penn fans...like Max
Old 11-02-2009, 08:01 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Also he does what I do sometimes. Like in my weekly blog, I'm talking about something that ive thought a lot about, so I am actually able to think about other things as I talk to the camara, and Suddenly I'm talking about the Budgie making a racket, as if you are hearing a thought going through my mind, and then, im suddenly back on the first topic again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhKYfmyFSM8 Happens at 3.53 mark

Well when Jens first sat down he was talking to Tim McKinnon, and every few moments, he would stop and talk to me, as if it was off the record, like a side thought. So he sat down and started talking, and said a cuss word, and he turned to me, without taking a breath and says "oh I cuss alot, even in church" then he was back talking to McKinnon again...as if he was watching himself, and giving a narration to me on the conversation he was having...do you follow?

I love him to bits, can you tell
Old 11-03-2009, 03:21 AM
Stump Rules!

Thanks for that Dave!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyburn View Post

http://stumpdotcom.com/
Old 11-03-2009, 11:47 AM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattHughesRocks View Post
Thanks for that Dave!
well...I didnt want you watching the whole thing
Old 11-03-2009, 12:09 PM
Hughes fanboy

I like Jens...but he is awfully full of himself. I've never heard anyone who is more "self aware" than Jens.

Fact is he's lost 6 of 7 of his last fights. I thought it bogus that after he had returned to the UFC and lost to Joe Lauzon, then to BJ Penn, THEN gets into the WEC and wins ONE FIGHT and gets a title shot, which he lost, THEN gets PWNED again, THEN gets another TITLE SHOT??? Then loses to a noob. And he's supposed to be a legend? What next, Dancing with the Stars

All because he's, well, his name sounds pretty cool eh? Seriously, I could probably beat his arse in a fight. He's washed up. A lot of heart, but his time is come and gone.

Let the attacks on my post begin

Please consider England in your prayers!

http://www.intercessuk.org/iuk3/
Old 11-03-2009, 12:15 PM
Hughes fanboy

Loss Josh Grispi Submission (Guillotine Choke)
Loss Urijah Faber Submission (Guillotine Choke)
Loss Leonard Garcia TKO (Punches)
Loss Urijah Faber Decision (Unanimous)
Win Cub Swanson Submission (Guillotine Choke)
Loss B.J. Penn Submission (Rear Naked Choke)
Loss Joe Lauzon KO (Punch)

Woooww...with a record so undeniably IMPRESSIVE I think Jens should get a title shot against Brown next, obbbbviously (he does have a big heart, and all...)

I wish him the best if he is really going to return to fighting, but I also heard that DWTS is casting for the next season as well.

Last edited by Vizion; 11-03-2009 at 01:11 PM.
Old 11-03-2009, 03:26 PM
Krupp

Maybe he doesn't deserve a title shot until he wins two or three fights in a row, but you acting like a prick sure makes me want him to get one immediately anyway...
Old 11-03-2009, 03:37 PM
Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizion View Post
Loss Josh Grispi Submission (Guillotine Choke)
Loss Urijah Faber Submission (Guillotine Choke)
Loss Leonard Garcia TKO (Punches)
Loss Urijah Faber Decision (Unanimous)
Win Cub Swanson Submission (Guillotine Choke)
Loss B.J. Penn Submission (Rear Naked Choke)
Loss Joe Lauzon KO (Punch)

Woooww...with a record so undeniably IMPRESSIVE I think Jens should get a title shot against Brown next, obbbbviously (he does have a big heart, and all...)

I wish him the best if he is really going to return to fighting, but I also heard that DWTS is casting for the next season as well.
First off he only got 1 title shot in WEC, his second fight with Faber was after Faber lost the title. The reason the WEC set that fight up was because the first Faber v Pulver fight was a good one. Now I dont think Jens should get a title shot for only winning one fight (and I agree he should not have gotten a title shot after the Cub fight but the fact remains that his first fight with Faber was a good one). No one is talking about giving him a title shot after one win anyway. If Jens wins 3 or 4 in a row against top fighters I dont see why he shouldn't get a title shot though.
Old 11-03-2009, 03:45 PM
Hughes fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krupp View Post
Maybe he doesn't deserve a title shot until he wins two or three fights in a row, but you acting like a prick sure makes me want him to get one immediately anyway...
Oh ok, I'm sure the WEC will take your considerations and arrange such a fight, for you Bah, I'm just venting. I rooted for Jens in every single fight, I really wanted to see him comeback strong, but he didn't, and he probably never will. Just getting sick of all the hype around him is all, or am I false to say he's washed up?