Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 10-26-2009, 09:52 PM
wavetar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Play The Man View Post
They should not only give them a financial penalty, but make them continue to cut weight until they make the mark, even if it takes until late into Friday night or early Saturday morning.
I understand where you're coming from, but the athletic commissions would never allow it, because it's simply too dangerous for a fighter's health to be given less time to rehydrate & recuperate. I'm sure at least a few would be dumb enough to try it though, so they need to be protected.

Quote:
I would also add another penalty by making the fighter ineligible to compete in a championship fight for 1 year.
I like that idea, although it's not generally the guys on the cusp of a title shot who have trouble with the weight cut. Maybe a year isn't long enough?

I wouldn't have agreed to the fight if I were Yoshida...I mean the last 5-6 pounds is what really takes it out of you! He had to know Rumble was going to be a monster by comparison.
Old 10-26-2009, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavetar View Post
I understand where you're coming from, but the athletic commissions would never allow it, because it's simply too dangerous for a fighter's health to be given less time to rehydrate & recuperate. I'm sure at least a few would be dumb enough to try it though, so they need to be protected.

I like that idea, although it's not generally the guys on the cusp of a title shot who have trouble with the weight cut. Maybe a year isn't long enough?

I wouldn't have agreed to the fight if I were Yoshida...I mean the last 5-6 pounds is what really takes it out of you! He had to know Rumble was going to be a monster by comparison.
Good points. The continued weight cut would likely need to be under medical supervision.

The past few examples I can recall involved fighters on the cusp of a title shot. Travis Lutter failed to make weight in his title shot against Anderson Silva. Alves failed to make weight against Matt Hughes. He fought GSP for the title just over one year later. I would bet that Anthony Johnson gets a title shot in the next 1-2 years if he keeps winning.

Yoshida was in a no-win situation. If he turned the fight down, he would be in the doghouse with Dana White. He probably wouldn't be re-signed to continue in the UFC
Old 10-27-2009, 11:02 PM
wavetar

Quote:

Yoshida was in a no-win situation. If he turned the fight down, he would be in the doghouse with Dana White. He probably wouldn't be re-signed to continue in the UFC
True enough. And points taken on your weight cut examples, although Alves & Johnson claim injuries either affected the training (Alves), or caused higher than normal prior weight gain (Johnson). If they're truly about fighter safety, perhaps the commissions shouldn't allow fights to proceed if a fighter misses the cut, period. Then Dana White can't blackmail the fighter who actually made the cut.
Old 10-28-2009, 12:15 AM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
True enough. And points taken on your weight cut examples, although Alves & Johnson claim injuries either affected the training (Alves), or caused higher than normal prior weight gain (Johnson). If they're truly about fighter safety, perhaps the commissions shouldn't allow fights to proceed if a fighter misses the cut, period. Then Dana White can't blackmail the fighter who actually made the cut.
If these people were serious about fighter safety, they would penalize low blows and "accidents" like eye pokes for example.
Old 10-28-2009, 04:30 AM
Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyburn View Post
If these people were serious about fighter safety, they would penalize low blows and "accidents" like eye pokes for example.
it is happens more than once they usually do Dave
Old 10-28-2009, 06:33 PM

Quote:
If it was a fight on the undercard, that might work; however, if it was on the televised card, the fans would be angry. It would be almost impossible to come up with a good replacement fight in a day.
Old 10-28-2009, 06:50 PM
Allons-y

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan

Quote:
If it was a fight on the undercard, that might work; however, if it was on the televised card, the fans would be angry. It would be almost impossible to come up with a good replacement fight in a day.
Yeah, but that's the price they pay for effing up & not makign weight. Instead of getting at least 80% of their money (Rumble got 90% of his), they get 0% because they didn't do their job properly. Also, how long are they going to keep fans if they make a habit out of missing weight (Alves) & keep getting tossed off cards. It'd piss people off, but it'd show that the UFC is serious about not allow these "professionals" to half-@$$ a weight cut just so they can have an advantage.
Old 10-28-2009, 10:35 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max View Post
it is happens more than once they usually do Dave
No they dont. You please name the last time a UFC fighter was docked round points for low blows or eye pokes? Cheick Kongo went back and forth knee groining with someone like it was tit for tat recently, and Dan Henderson, cant help but headbutt AND eye poke in the same match.

No. When they start saying a point is docked each time a low blow occurs, you'll soon discover fighters taking a lot more care. One day it will happen that a career will end with some low blow, and it will be too late to pretend they cared enough about fighter safety then.

These Fighters should be paid more, but they should also be far more sanctioned. Its inexcusable for a fighter not to make weight, its inexcusable for a fighter to cheat, and its inexcusable for a fighter to produce "an accident" in whats usually only 15 mins maximum of Octagon time every 4 months.

You start deducting points, and you start giving their money to the other person and you'll suddenly see them change their tune...but of course, like everything, the Inisutution either only does the bear minimum, or only employs the notion when it will be an advantage to themselves

Also the UFC should simply only put UFNs in California until the whole CSAC has undergone a Regieme change. Flush Armando Garcia and all his minions down the bloody bogg, for the sake of Nick Diaz, Sean Sherk...and now Mauricio Rua.