Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 10-22-2009, 03:00 PM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan

Maynard-Diaz to Headline UFC Fight Night 20

http://www.sherdog.com/news/news/may...night-20-20425
Quote:
“The Ultimate Fighter” Season 5 lightweight winner Nate Diaz will square off with the unbeaten Gray Maynard in the UFC Fight Night 20 headliner on Jan. 11 at the Patriot Center in Fairfax, Va. The Diaz camp announced the matchup Tuesday on Graciefighter.com.

The two lightweights know one another well. They met in the semi-finals on “The Ultimate Fighter” in 2007, as a bloodied Diaz tapped out Maynard with a guillotine choke.

A Brazilian jiu-jitsu brown belt under Cesar Gracie, Diaz halted a two-fight losing streak when he submitted Melvin Guillard with a modified guillotine choke at UFC Fight Night 19 last month. The 24-year-old has not been finished in more than three years and holds notable victories against Josh Neer and Kurt Pellegrino. Eight of his 11 career victories have come by submission.

Believed to be on the precipice of title contention, Maynard last appeared in September, when he outpointed Roger Huerta in Oklahoma City. The 30-year-old, anchored at Xtreme Couture Mixed Martial Arts in Las Vegas, has won his last five fights by decision. A three-time All-American wrestler at Michigan State University, Maynard already owns wins against the world-ranked Frankie Edgar and the highly regarded Jim Miller.
Old 10-22-2009, 03:10 PM
Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCURamFan View Post
Maynard-Diaz to Headline UFC Fight Night 20

http://www.sherdog.com/news/news/may...night-20-20425
not bad not bad, although I think holding the event at ODU's Ted Constant Convocation Center would have been a better idea (mostly because I would not have to travel to get there), add this fight to the others that are supposed to be on the card and it is looking like a good card.
Old 10-22-2009, 03:27 PM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max View Post
not bad not bad, although I think holding the event at VCU's Verizon Wireless Center would have been a better idea (mostly because I would not have to travel to get there), add this fight to the others that are supposed to be on the card and it is looking like a good card.
Fixed.
Old 10-22-2009, 03:35 PM
Super Moderator

I already know where the Patriot Center is!!! I just need to remember what hotel I stayed in last time. It was pretty nice even though it was a little bit of a drive to get there. The fighters all stayed there.

~Amy

My son made this for me:
Old 10-22-2009, 03:44 PM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRN View Post
I already know where the Patriot Center is!!! I just need to remember what hotel I stayed in last time. It was pretty nice even though it was a little bit of a drive to get there. The fighters all stayed there.

~Amy
My guess would be that it was the Omni.

I wonder if I could use the "Fighter" pass Matt gave me to still get backstage access!!!!
Old 10-22-2009, 03:58 PM
Max

Quote:
Fixed.
um no VCU's Verizon Wireless Center only seats 7,500 (can expand to 8,000) where The Ted seats 8,639 (for basketball and 9,520 for other events) which means that more people could fit into The Ted which makes it better for the UFC. The Ted is also bigger over all, 219,330 square feet compared to 190,000-square feet, as well as newer (The Ted was opened in 2002 yours was opened in 1999)

Also ODU has a football team, that really has nothing to do with why the UFC should come to ODU it just shows that ODU is better than VCU. And before you say anything yes you beat us in basketball last year but we still have football.
Old 10-22-2009, 04:00 PM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Quote:
um no VCU's Verizon Wireless Center only seats 7,500 (can expand to 8,000) where The Ted seats 8,639 (for basketball and 9,520 for other events) which means that more people could fit into The Ted which makes it better for the UFC. The Ted is also bigger over all, 219,330 square feet compared to 190,000-square feet, as well as newer (The Ted was opened in 2002 yours was opened in 1999)
Yeah, but the UFC's trying to get aware from the whole "uneducated knuckle-dragger" persona, so setting up the fights on a campus full of neaderthals would be a mistake.
Old 10-22-2009, 04:07 PM
Max

Quote:
Yeah, but the UFC's trying to get aware from the whole "uneducated knuckle-dragger" persona, so setting up the fights on a campus full of neaderthals would be a mistake.
um according to www.washingtonmonthly.com ODU is ranked 145 nationally and VCU is ranked 221. so kiss my butt

and once again we have a football team.
Old 10-22-2009, 04:21 PM
Matt-4; GJJ Black Belts-0

Quote:
um according to www.washingtonmonthly.com ODU is ranked 145 nationally and VCU is ranked 221. so kiss my butt

and once again we have a football team.

And we all KNOW... that football is the main reason for college.

Just picking a bit...
Old 10-22-2009, 04:23 PM
Matt-4; GJJ Black Belts-0

Quote:
My guess would be that it was the Omni.

I wonder if I could use the "Fighter" pass Matt gave me to still get backstage access!!!!

color me VERY jealous STILL!!!

Tags
ufc, virginia