Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > MMA

Old 10-12-2009, 07:55 PM
JA Yount

Default Rosi Sexton Interview

Rosi Sexton Interview
Quote:
On The Spot ~ Rosi Sexton

Mother, PhD, author, musician, and champion, and we havenít even scratched the surface of Rosi Sexton. Those are just a small part of the #1 ranked 125 lbs British female fighter. Sexton, a CWFC champion, is coming off of a submission victory over Valerie Coolbaugh in her Bellator debut and is looking to continue her five-fight win streak. She currently holds a 10-1 record, with her only blemish coming at the hands of Gina Carano.

She is an experienced grappler and submission fighter with nine years of mixed martial arts training, including black belts in both Tae Kwon Do and Brazilian jiu-jitsu to go along with all of her other accolades.

Not content with the physical side of her talents, Rosi also holds a PhD in theoretical computer science, a maths degree from Cambridge, and is currently studying to become an osteopath. Rosi has fought in the USA, UK, Costa Rica, Russia, and Canada. She has wins over Carina Damm, Windy Tomomi, Julia Berezikova, and Debbi Purcell.

Between fighting and studying, this phenomenal woman writes a regular column for Fighters Only, raises her four year-old son, and tries to maintain her status as a concert pianist. Needless to say, this woman, who picked up the sport as a mere hobby, is nothing short of amazing. MMA Spotís J. Andrew Yount recently coaxed Dr. Rosi Sexton into taking a few moments off to talk about her career, hobbies, and how she maintains such a hectic schedule.

----From The Full Interview----

Quote:
It's hard enough for women to find big fights in the sport, do you find it even tougher being over in England as opposed to the U.S.?
I think that it is tougher over here. The hardest thing about getting a fight in the UK is finding opponents. There are some really good up and coming female fighters here at the moment though, and I think in a few years time there will be a lot more female MMA in this country.

Iíve not always been able to fight as often as Iíd like Ė sometimes it can be a long time between fights, but I think Iíve been fortunate to be able to compete on an international stage, which has allowed me to fight some of the top women in my weight class.
Quote:
You are 10-1, with your only loss to Gina Carano. Do you feel that you are one of the top female fighters out there?
Itís difficult for me to say objectively how good I am or how I compare to other fighters Ė I prefer to leave that to other people. I think Iím ranked as the #1 fighter in the 125 lbs division.
Quote:
Did you watch the Carano vs Santos fight on Showtime? What were your thoughts on the bout?
I did. I was disappointed, to be honest, I was expecting it to be a much more competitive fight. I think Santos is going to be hard to beat because of her sheer physicality and athleticism, but from a technical standpoint there are better female fighters out there.
Quote:
You have done lots of incredible things in a short time, can you tell us about your education and hobbies outside of fighting?
I have a mathematics degree from Cambridge University and a PhD in theoretical computer science. I was a bit of a geek growing up; Iíd enjoy solving problems and figuring things out. I play the piano, when I get a chance Ė which isnít as often as Iíd like these days Ė and I read pretty widely. When I want to relax, my vice is watching box sets of TV series, some of my favorites being House and LOST.
Quote:
Many experts and hardcore fans already see the women's divisions as some of the most exciting. What do you see as the biggest obstacle in pushing ALL of women's MMA to the forefront?
I think itís a work in progress. Itís not a challenge that can be ďsolvedĒ with any one quick fix Ė itsí something we all need to work towards. The more good female fights make it to television, the more people can see what the women are capable of, and the more demand there will be for female MMA.

Strikeforce is doing some good things with the heavier weight classes, 135 and 145 lbs. The challenge there will be to keep those fighters busy and make sure they are putting on enough matches to develop the division as a whole rather than just marquee fights here and there. At the same time, there are a lot of very talented, very dedicated female fighters that arenít getting the opportunities and the televised fights. Itís a real shame that people arenít getting to see fighters like Megumi Fujii, Tara LaRosa and Roxanne Modafferi out there.

FULL INTERVIEW
Old 10-14-2009, 04:21 PM
Crisco

Holy busy schedule batman
Old 10-14-2009, 05:05 PM
Chuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisco View Post
Holy busy schedule batman
Oh please!!!

Blah, blah, blah..PhD...blah, blah, blah...math degree... blah, blah, blah....just had a baby.....

Who cares????

How's the rack and can she make a decent samwich?????????