Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > The Ultimate Fighter

Old 10-01-2009, 11:59 PM
Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie View Post
Nah, there was something extra there in Herb's "work" to Kimbo. You could almost feel it through the screen. He was desperate for Kimbo to do something/anything. Even at the end when he finally called the fight, when he said, "Alright, this fight is over!" I don't think he wanted to do it, but he knew he HAD too.

I'm talking "headliner" once he's in the UFC (which is a given looks like).
I think Herb was saying that because he knew Ferguson was not being hurt by the punches at all. The reason fights are stopped when a fighter is not defending themselves is for the fighters safety. Dean knew Ferguson was not in any danger of being injured so basically Dean was stopping the fight because Ferguson was stuck under a mound of fat and could not get out.
Old 10-02-2009, 12:01 AM
I'm kind of a big deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max View Post
I think Herb was saying that because he knew Ferguson was not being hurt by the punches at all. The reason fights are stopped when a fighter is not defending themselves is for the fighters safety. Dean knew Ferguson was not in any danger of being injured so basically Dean was stopping the fight because Ferguson was stuck under a mound of fat and could not get out.
Suffocation is much more painful than getting hit by a Playskool hammer.
Old 10-02-2009, 12:09 AM
WAR CARDINALS!

Kimbo is special

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfFRv_1XdDM
Old 10-02-2009, 02:27 AM
Shane Lee 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by logrus View Post
I was more impressed with Kimbo then Nelson. Kimbo actually did alright avoiding the takedown when NElson had him against the cage and it really took the laws of motion and gravity to get Kimbo down. I was impressed with him actually using the cage to roll out of the first takedown and almost had it. The second round he did a rookie mistake and tried to knee a guy looking to take it to the ground.

I don't see many people get out of the crusifix even when the weight is equal or close. I didn't expect Kimbo to do anything in that position either, to much gravity.

Kimbo also looked light on his feet and was circling the cage with good movements. I think him being gun shy was respecting Nelsons ability to take fights to the ground.
I was not real impressed with anyone in this fight and ecspecially the first but since we are talking about this one I'll stay with that. Kimbo looks like a fish out of water when he does anything other than swing them big meat hooks he has. I don't blame Kimbo for that though. He has coaches and a manager to help him make correct choices when it comes to his training.

A simple back door escape or running man manuever would have got him out of Nelson's side mount long before the crusifix was locked on. Why none of his coaches have not taught that to him is beyond me.

I am an instructor under 8th degree BJJ black belt Carlos Machado and in our curriculum, gi or no gi, MMA or straight bjj. Those are one of the first and easiest things to teach.

I think Kimbo needs to learn that his legs and hips are for fighting too. I think he could be a contender in the stand up game he just has to get some wrestling and a ground game if not for anything but to get back to his feet.

He needs to take a training trip to the HIT Squad and Chuck Liddel. They have what he needs.
Old 10-02-2009, 08:25 AM
KENTUCKYREDBONE

Quote:
Originally Posted by County Mike View Post
I agree. I don't like the favoritism either. Once again, I'm in a position to not like Kimbo through no fault of his own. I don't understand why his hype hasn't died down yet. I would like to see him do well, but until then, he's just another fighter trying to make it.
I try not to resent Kimbo for getting everything you can out of the deal! But this favoritism needs to stop! The way Kimbo is being treated you would think he was Matt Hughes or someone who earned a break! Considering they gave a real MMA fighter the boot on the comeback episode for sneaking out with a Girl they shouldn't let Kimbo have all his people their to hold his hand. On a side note when Roy said the King has it his way I think he was trying to make a joke. It may not have been the best joke but to me its better than Rampage making fat jokes!
Old 10-02-2009, 11:14 AM
County Mike

I don't think Kimbo CAN learn to fight on the ground. He's not new to MMA. He's been doing it for at least 3 years and still knows nothing on the ground. At the very least, he could have thrown knees into the side of Roy. His legs barely moved at all.

I would like to see him do well, but I think what he has now is all he'll ever have.

A funny note: On my Comcast schedule they have little info blurbs about each show. For that episode of TUF it read something like "The unteachable Kimbo Slice goes against the uncoachable Roy Nelson". I wonder who writes those things up. They called him "unteachable".
Old 10-02-2009, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie View Post
Nah, there was something extra there in Herb's "work" to Kimbo. You could almost feel it through the screen. He was desperate for Kimbo to do something/anything. Even at the end when he finally called the fight, when he said, "Alright, this fight is over!" I don't think he wanted to do it, but he knew he HAD too.

I'm talking "headliner" once he's in the UFC (which is a given looks like).
I think Kimbo was stuck and it's really hard for a ref to stop a fight when the fighter isn't taking any punichment. that was like chinese water torture drips on his forhead. If I were Roy, I wouldn't be telling people too loud that he hit someone 44 times in the head unanswered and didn't KO them

[
Old 10-02-2009, 02:35 PM
SupaDupaMod

Send a message via Yahoo to Neezar

Quote:
I don't think Kimbo CAN learn to fight on the ground. He's not new to MMA. He's been doing it for at least 3 years and still knows nothing on the ground. At the very least, he could have thrown knees into the side of Roy. His legs barely moved at all.

I would like to see him do well, but I think what he has now is all he'll ever have.

A funny note: On my Comcast schedule they have little info blurbs about each show. For that episode of TUF it read something like "The unteachable Kimbo Slice goes against the uncoachable Roy Nelson". I wonder who writes those things up. They called him "unteachable".
Well Mike there is this thing called Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs. I think Kimbo couldn't formulate a plan to knee or anything else. He was too busy fighting for air under there!
Old 10-02-2009, 06:57 PM
logrus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Lee 2 View Post
I was not real impressed with anyone in this fight and ecspecially the first but since we are talking about this one I'll stay with that. Kimbo looks like a fish out of water when he does anything other than swing them big meat hooks he has. I don't blame Kimbo for that though. He has coaches and a manager to help him make correct choices when it comes to his training.

A simple back door escape or running man manuever would have got him out of Nelson's side mount long before the crusifix was locked on. Why none of his coaches have not taught that to him is beyond me.

I am an instructor under 8th degree BJJ black belt Carlos Machado and in our curriculum, gi or no gi, MMA or straight bjj. Those are one of the first and easiest things to teach.

I think Kimbo needs to learn that his legs and hips are for fighting too. I think he could be a contender in the stand up game he just has to get some wrestling and a ground game if not for anything but to get back to his feet.

He needs to take a training trip to the HIT Squad and Chuck Liddel. They have what he needs.
Quote:

I think Kimbo knows what to do on the ground I think he just lacks the instincts to just do it and the ability to always be thinking 2 moves ahead of the other fighter.