Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Sports

Old 09-30-2009, 12:58 AM
I'm kind of a big deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB Rattlesnake View Post
But that is the thing too, how do we know?

I read reports that it was between 350 and 400,000. I am not doubting that UFC 103 could have done more than 500,000, but we really have no idea because the UFC refuses to release it numbers.

Thats why Dana should just stay out of pissing matches and worry about his company and the sport of MMA. He likes to talk a lot of trash, just like everybody else in both businesses, but then when he gets called out on certain things he reverts back into double talk and big promises that he can't elaborate on. Overall, I think Dana is a very smart businessman who has done a lot for the sport of MMA, but sometimes I think his mouth moves quicker than his brain.
LOL, I think a lot of people are like that, but yeah, Dana does that a lot.

I haven't read much, but the only thing I've heard is from Schaefer and Iole about the numbers. Did Nielsen release anything about the fight? I remember Arum talking about 1.6 million for Pac-Hatton and it ended up something like 850,000, which is still great, but only half of the talked-up amount. Was the 1 million verified or is Iole just nut hugging?
Old 09-30-2009, 06:43 AM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockdawg21 View Post
LOL, I think a lot of people are like that, but yeah, Dana does that a lot.

I haven't read much, but the only thing I've heard is from Schaefer and Iole about the numbers. Did Nielsen release anything about the fight? I remember Arum talking about 1.6 million for Pac-Hatton and it ended up something like 850,000, which is still great, but only half of the talked-up amount. Was the 1 million verified or is Iole just nut hugging?
As I stated before, HBO is a PUBLICLY traded company, which not only makes it very hard, but also makes it very risky for them to try and circulate fake numbers. They actually risk big trouble with the SEC if they lied about their earnings.

UFC is a private company, so they don't face the same consequences for faking the numbers. As for Arum greasing the numbers, I cannot comment on that because I never saw those reports. However, I will say that it is well documented that Pac is not nearly as much of draw as Mayweather, so I find that claim of 1.6 million to be a bit crazy, even for a guy on the level of BS that Arum measures up to. Teh interwebz tells us lots of stuff, lol....even stuff I quote from time to time is unreliable, it is what it is.

Also, Iole is FAR from a Mayweather nut-hugger. If anything, Kevin Iole has largely been a part of the problem when it comes to pushing Floyd hate. However, I will give him the credit of being impartial on some stories, even though his bias definitely shines through at times.

That being said, the 1 million number is pretty solid.