Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 09-17-2009, 01:00 AM

Default Rampage Question

I got a question about Rampage and the fight he was supposed to have with Rashad.

I don't know the logistics of it which is what spawned the question. In the contract itself, is there always a clause that says fighters can back out of a fight for other reasons besides injuries?

Had Rampage not signed a fight contract to fight Rashad? It seemed like it was already set in stone.

I would think the fighters first responsibility would be to fight, so I'm curious how Rampage was able to back out of a fight already set up, due to acting.
Old 09-17-2009, 01:28 AM
logrus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Pride View Post
I got a question about Rampage and the fight he was supposed to have with Rashad.

I don't know the logistics of it which is what spawned the question. In the contract itself, is there always a clause that says fighters can back out of a fight for other reasons besides injuries?

Had Rampage not signed a fight contract to fight Rashad? It seemed like it was already set in stone.

I would think the fighters first responsibility would be to fight, so I'm curious how Rampage was able to back out of a fight already set up, due to acting.
Depends what is stated in the contract. Also some fighters have more pull then other fighters so they could get away with more then others.

From what I heard it was because Rampage is playing Mr T for the A-Team remake, and the shooting he signed for was probably prior to his signing with Evan.

Another thing you have to remember is this is another free market ploy for the UFC. Which is a no brainer if your looking for free press and marketing.
Old 09-17-2009, 04:37 AM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan

What I remember reading about the situation was that Rampage "talked to Dana & Dana let him do it". I dunno how truthful/accurate/helpful that is, but it's what I remember.
Old 09-17-2009, 10:15 PM
atomdanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Pride View Post

well realistically what can they do about it?
Fire him?
Not going to happen.

Sue him? come on....

So basically when you have a high profile fighter,
they sort of do what they want. BJ is a good example, choosing his fight dates and setting demands....
Old 09-18-2009, 04:12 AM
Maldonado136

rashad cant complain too much because he turned down the rampage fight when he had the belt. when rampage fought jardine it was originally going to be against rashad.
Old 09-18-2009, 07:22 AM
que

dana just said in a recent interview concerning rampage, that he can't make a fighter fight when he doesn't want to fight. that leads me to believe that rampage had not signed the contract to fight rashad yet. otherwise he would be able to force rampage to fight.
Old 09-18-2009, 04:54 PM
rearnakedchoke

i don't think the fight was signed yet, it was just agreed that they would shoot the show and fight afterward .. dana will probably sign contracts quicker now as he is screwed in this ... i can see him making rampage fight some jabroni's and work his way back up the ladder ...
Old 09-19-2009, 05:50 PM
TonyCap

Hopefully he doesn't stick with acting and never returns to fighting.