Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 09-17-2009, 05:53 PM
I'm kind of a big deal

Default De La Hoya on UFC 103 vs. Mayweather-Marquez

I've always liked De La Hoya. Nice to see that he's enjoying the competition for PPV buys. Like he says, it will make the fights better. However, Mayweather's a marathon runner, not a fighter

http://punch.freedomblogging.com/200...z-vs-ufc/6845/
Quote:
De La Hoya weighs in on Mayweather-Marquez vs. UFC 103
September 13th, 2009, 6:51 pm Post a Comment posted by CARLOS ARIAS

UFC president Dana White has been in the news trashing the Floyd Mayweather Jr.-Juan Manuel Marquez fight on Sept. 19 at the MGM Grand Garden in Las Vegas on HBO pay-per-view.

That happens to be the same night the UFC has a pay-per-view event of its own with UFC 103 at the American Airlines Center in Dallas, Tex.

Top Rank chairman Bob Arum has been in the news all week trashing mixed martial arts, calling MMA fans "skinheads" and calling MMA fighters "skinheads" and "homosexuals."

So how does Golden Boy Promotions president Oscar De La Hoya, who is promoting the Mayweather-Marquez card, feel about going head-to-head with the UFC?

"We have no problem with that," De La Hoya said after a rally for Marquez on Sunday afternoon on Olvera Street. "Look, we have different audiences. We have our own marketing plan. They have their own marketing plan. We're almost sold out. I don't know about them, but ... look, we have the 24/7 thing (on HBO) and tremendous sponsors behind us. They have great sponsors behind them. We're in our own worlds. Let them do great, we're gonna do great and everybody wins."

De La Hoya said he isn't worried about the UFC putting on events, the same nights he is promoting his boxing events in the future.

"If they want to choose to do something like that to us, it's OK," De La Hoya said. "What am I gonna do? I'm not gonna cry about it. All it's going to do is make us put out better fights. It's going to make us better. It's gonna make us stay on our toes. I'm glad the UFC has been doing such a great wonderful job, because it keeps us aware of the potential that boxing has."

The UFC's influence is one of the reasons De La Hoya said he loaded up the Mayweather-Marquez undercard with two world title fights. Vicente Escobedo and Michael Katsidis will fight for the interim WBO lightweight title and Chris John defends his WBA featherweight title in a rematch with Rocky Juarez on the Mayweather-Marquez undercard.

"The reason why we put the great undercard is because I told everybody at Golden Boy we have to put on the best fights and start the tradition again the way Don King had his fights loaded up back in the (Julio Cesar) Chavez days," De La Hoya said. "That's how we can be the premier promoter in the world by far. From now on, every single event is going to be loaded with the best fights possible."

So what about the Mayweather-Marquez fight? How does De La Hoya see it playing out?

"Look, styles make fights," De La Hoya said. "Marquez has the best style to beat Mayweather, because he's smart. He's a counter-puncher, but he can also attack, and he hits hard. He's big. Look at the guy. I saw him in Mexico and he hits hard, and he's fast. So it's going to be a tough fight. Mayweather is going to be a tough fight, but styles make fights. That's my opinion."

De La Hoya believes Marquez will be the toughest test in Mayweather's career.

"I believe so," De La Hoya said. "Tougher than anybody, even me, anybody. Believe me."
Old 09-17-2009, 05:56 PM

Oscar is paying it right. don't get in a trash-talking war with DW. He's too good at it.

[
Old 09-17-2009, 06:07 PM
Krupp

I wish there more more boxers like De La Hoya that treat mma with respect.
Old 09-17-2009, 08:37 PM

Good on De La Hoya, comes out with dignity.
Old 09-17-2009, 09:14 PM
atomdanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llamafighter View Post
Oscar is paying it right. don't get in a trash-talking war with DW. He's too good at it.

+1
Old 09-18-2009, 02:50 PM
Miss Foxy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krupp View Post
I wish there more more boxers like De La Hoya that treat mma with respect.
Which ones don't treat mma with respect? Just curious..
Old 09-18-2009, 02:51 PM
Miss Foxy

Really good article.
Just because you like boxing does not mean you hate MMA or vice versa. Its immature or just plain idiots that have to compare the two...
Old 09-18-2009, 03:40 PM
Buc Nasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Foxy View Post
Which ones don't treat mma with respect? Just curious..
Floyd Mayweather and Bob Arum. They've talked a ton of **** about MMA recently.
Old 09-18-2009, 11:42 PM
Miss Foxy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buc Nasty View Post
Floyd Mayweather and Bob Arum. They've talked a ton of **** about MMA recently.
Consider the sources!! Anyone that pays Floyd any attention really needs to ask themselves...

Tags
mma ufc boxing