Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > MMA

Old 09-18-2009, 02:41 AM
Stump Rules!

Default Le steps down

LE STEPS DOWN; SHIELDS VS. LAWLER FOR 185 BELT
Thursday, September 17, 2009 - by Steven Marrocco - MMAWeekly.com

Strikeforce CEO Scott Coker Thursday confirmed to MMAWeekly that his middleweight champion, Cung Le, has booked another major motion picture role and will relinquish his belt.

Jake Shields and Jason “Mayhem” Miller will now vie for the undisputed title under the eye of CBS when the two meet at the promotion’s network debut Nov. 7 at location to be announced early next week. A report on ESPN.com says the Sears Center Arena in Chicago is under close consideration, citing sources close to the situation. The telecast will air live from 9 p.m. to 11 p.m. E.S.T. Coker was unaware whether the broadcast would be tape delayed to other parts of the country.

“I had a conversation with Cung and he has a lot of respect for Jake and Jason, and he’s got another movie coming up, so he’s asked me if he could step down, which we’re going to honor his request,” said Coker. “By no means does that mean he’s going to be retired, but he’s going to be unavailable for the next two months.”

Coker said he hoped to book the newly minted movie star again after his filming obligations completed, though nothing was confirmed.

“With Cung, every six weeks we’ll be checking back with him,” he continued. “Now that he’s not going to be our title holder, we’ll put him in some big super fights and continue his MMA career, but not have the pressure of defending his belt when he has movie opportunities.”

Miller and Shields were expected to face off in October, but the bout, and event, never materialized. Both pointed the finger at one another for the delay. Miller on Thursday afternoon confirmed the fight via his official Twitter account, stating, “I duck NO ONE.”

Shields was unavailable for comment, but his manager/father, Jack Shields, said “we’re just pleased it’s happening. We’re happy to be back with CBS. With both of them doing show, I’m sure it will create a lot of interest, and we’re really happy to be on the card with Fedor.”

Miller (29-6-1) hosts the MTV reality show “Bully Beatdown,” on which Shields has made multiple appearances. He last fought in late May, where an inadvertent knee he threw in a middleweight title bid against Ronaldo “Jacare” Souza forced a no contest stoppage.

Shields (28-4), a former EliteXC welterweight champion, defeated former EliteXC middleweight champion Robbie Lawler in early June, stepping up from welterweight to a contested limit of 182 lbs. in Strikeforce’s second major card televised by Showtime Networks.

http://stumpdotcom.com/
Old 09-18-2009, 03:57 AM
SupaDupaMod

Send a message via Yahoo to Neezar

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattHughesRocks View Post
LE STEPS DOWN; SHIELDS VS. LAWLER FOR 185 BELT
Thursday, September 17, 2009 - by Steven Marrocco - MMAWeekly.com
Boy did I get excited for a minute.
Old 09-18-2009, 03:58 AM
SupaDupaMod

Send a message via Yahoo to Neezar

I got Shields. Didn't even have to think about it.
Old 09-18-2009, 08:56 AM
KENTUCKYREDBONE

I hope he makes some big bucks off Hollywood then go's back to MMA!
Old 09-18-2009, 02:04 PM

Robbie should get the winner. Or at least fight Radach for contendership.

[
Old 09-18-2009, 02:42 PM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llamafighter View Post
Robbie should get the winner. Or at least fight Radach for contendership.
I don't think that Radach should be in the contention picture since he just lost to Smith.
Old 09-18-2009, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCURamFan View Post
I don't think that Radach should be in the contention picture since he just lost to Smith.
Who is then? does Strikefore have Villansenor? Robbie needs to be in the UFC where he will always have worthy opponents.

[
Old 09-18-2009, 03:00 PM
Hughes fanboy

Cung Le is nothing...he is not in the UFC. The worst fighter in the UFC could beat the best fighter in Strikeforce....

er somethin...

Please consider England in your prayers!

http://www.intercessuk.org/iuk3/
Old 09-18-2009, 03:54 PM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llamafighter View Post
Who is then? does Strikefore have Villansenor? Robbie needs to be in the UFC where he will always have worthy opponents.
You'll never hear me dipute that, bro. Here's the MWs that Strikeforce has on their payroll:
  • Zak Cummings
    • Record: 10-0
    • Streak: 10 wins
    • Notable Opponents: Terry Martin (W)
  • Cory Devala
    • Record: 9-4
    • Streak: 2 losses
    • Notable Opponents: Matt Horwich (L), Ed Herman (L), Joe Riggs (W), Terry Martin (L)
  • Nick Diaz
    • Record: 20-7, 1 NC
    • Streak: 5 wins
    • Notable Opponents: Chris Lytle (W), Jeremy Jackson (Wx2&L), Robbie Lawler (W), Karo Parisyan (L), Diego Sanchez (L), Joe Riggs (L), Sean Sherk (L), Takanori Gomi (NC), Frank Shamrock (W), Scott Smith (W)
  • Tim Kennedy
    • Record: 10-2
    • Streak: 2 wins
    • Notable Opponents: Scott Smith (L), Mayhem (W&L), Ryan McGivern (W), Nick Thompson (W)
  • Eric Lawson
    • Record: 9-2
    • Streak: 5 wins
    • Notable Opponents: None
  • Terry Martin
    • Record: 18-8
    • Streak: 3 losses
    • Notable Opponents: Chael Sonnen (W), Jason Lambert (L), Chris Leben (L), Vitor Belfort (L), Scott Smith (L)
  • Jason "Mayhem" Miller
    • Record: 22-6
    • Streak: 1 win, 1 NC
    • Notable Opponents: Chael Sonnen (L), Dennis Kang (W), Tim Kennedy (W&L), GSP (L), Robbie Lawler (W), Frank Trigg (L), Ronaldo "Jacare" Souza (L&NC)
  • Kazuo Misaki
    • Record: 22-9-2, 1 NC
    • Streak: 1 win
    • Notable Opponents: Chris Lytle (L), Nate Marquardt (Lx2), Jake Shields (Draw), Ed Herman (W), Dan Henderson (W&L), Phil Baroni (W), Paulo Filho (L), Denis Kang (W), Frank Trigg (L), Joe Riggs (W)
  • Trevor Prangley
    • Record: 21-5
    • Streak: 4 wins
    • Notable Opponents: Chael Sonnen (W&L), Renato "Babalu" Sobral (L), Matt Horwhich (W), Travis Lutter (W), Jeremy Horn (L)
  • Joe Riggs
    • Record: 30-10
    • Streak: 2 wins
    • Notable Opponents: Herb "The Ref" Dean (W), Kendall Grove (W), Joe Doerkson (W), Chris Lytle (W), Matt Hughes (L), Nick Diaz (W), Mike Swick (L), Diego Sanchez (L), Phil Baroni (W)
  • Luke Rockhold
    • Record: 5-1
    • Streak: 4 wins
    • Notable Opponents: None
  • Evangelisto Santos
    • Record: 16-13
    • Notable Opponents: Jose "Pele" Landi-Jons (L), Mauricio Rua (L), Yuki Kondo (L), Gegard Mousasi (L), Joey Villasenor (L)
  • Frank Shamrock
    • Record: 23-10-2
    • Notable Opponents: Bas Rutten (W&Lx2), Yuki Kondo (L), Jeremy Horn (W), Tito Ortiz (W), Cesar Gracie (W), Renzo Gracie (L), Phil Baroni (W), Cung Le (L), Nick Diaz (L)
  • Scott Smith
    • Record: 16-6
    • Streak: 1 loss
    • Notable Opponents: Tim Kennedy (W), Pete Sell (W), Patrick Cote (L), Ed Herman (L), Robbie Lawler (NC&L), Terry Martin (W), Benji Radach (W), Nick Diaz (L)
  • Ronaldo "Jacare" Souza
    • Record: 10-2, 1 NC
    • Streak: 1 loss, 1 NC
    • Notable Opponents: Jason "Mayhem" Miller (W&NC), Gegard Mousasi (L)
Looking simply at streak-length (for who's in line to get a title shot) & "strength of schedule", I'd have to say that the only fight that makes sense right now is Nick Diaz.
Old 09-18-2009, 06:12 PM

Yeah that sounds good to me. I'd love to see Robbie get that loss back. That was an awesome fight in the UFC

[