Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 09-07-2009, 02:53 AM

Default WHY FANS HATE BROCK REASON #657 Article

I really liked this article and thought I would share:

http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/...asp?articleid=
9516&zoneid=13

Well, UFC 100 has come and gone.

With his dominant victory over Frank Mir, Brock Lesnar not only avenged his only loss in his short MMA career, but further solidified himself as not only a genuine MMAist, but also rightful champion.

Yet, many MMA fans *still* look for (and find) ways to disrespect - or simply not like - Lesnar as an MMA fighter.

Some say that he hasn't beat worthy competition yet, claiming that Heath Herring is now nothing but a journeyman fighter, that Randy Couture was severely outweighed (and that he's too old), and that Mir wasn't even the 'true' champ, but only an interim champ. Personally, I think most of these arguments are stupid, but oh well.

Others don't like Lesnar because they say he's too brash, disrespectful, mean, etc. - that he's not just playing a "heel" type of character, but that he really is a jerk. (These aren't my feelings - I'm just passing on what others seem to feel.) If that's what you think of Brock, then you're more than likely a relatively new(er) fan of MMA. I say this because if you have been watching the UFC since the SEG era, then you'd know that Brock hasn't said or done anything any worse than Tank Abbot ever did, or that Tito Ortiz (back when he was a champ) ever put on a T-shirt.

Yet others dislike Lesnar because of his time spent in professional wrestling. Which I never really understood because many other MMAists have spent time in the wrestling ring/industry including Ken Shamrock, Mark Coleman, Don Frye, Dan Severn, Kazuyuki Fujita, Kazushi Sakuraba, Frank Trigg, Bobby Lashley, Tank Abbot, and many others.

Then there is the tattoo on Brock's chest. No discussion necessary.

While I might not agree with most of the above, I can understand where folks are coming from. I don't share the same view(s), but I "get" it.

However, there is one major criticism of Brock that I just don't get.

I can't tell you how many times I've seen it said (usually in a forum somewhere), that Brock is just - and I'm paraphrasing here - "big, strong, and in shape. He's not really a good martial artist - he's just naturally athletic, and a muscle-bound monster."

I'm sorry, but that is just plain stupid.

First of all, we like to say that professional MMAists are some of the best trained, hardest working athletes in the world. Yet, when a guy who is a natural athlete with a ton of God-given potential enters the sport and has some immediate success, we want to belittle him for it?

Second of all, it's not like getting "big and strong" is easy. If it were, everybody would be big and strong. In fact, if getting as big and strong as Lesnar wasn't out of the ordinary, then Brock would be just that - ordinary.

Let me digress for a second. Have you ever heard of Mark Robinson? Again, unless you're a long-time MMA fan, you likely haven't. Mark Robinson is a South African powerlifter who won several South African powerlifting and professional strongman contests in the late '80s. Robinson won the title of World Powerlifting Champion in 1990, and even had a good martial arts background, winning a South African Judo championship in 1982, several sumo titles, and even won ADCC in 2001. (All info courtesy of http://www.markrobinson.co.za/FrontEnd/Index.aspx)

Why do I bring up Robinson? Because Robinson had a very brief stint in the UFC. In fact, it was so brief that it lasted only one event, UFC 30, where he was beaten handily by Bobby Hoffman.

If being big and strong was such a vital part of succeeding in MMA, then Robinson should have had a long and storied career in the UFC. And he didn't.

Face it people - Brock is a real MMAist, and he's the UFC champion... whether you like it or not.

Is being big and strong a big part of Brock's arsenal? Sure it is. Only a fool would say it's not. Then again, only a fool would say it's the only (or at least the main) reason why he's been so successful right out of the gate.

(Funny - when you hear of guys like Tito Ortiz, Randy Couture, etc., that are known for their super-human conditioning, nobody ever puts these guys down saying that all they do is wear out their opponents and let their conditioning take over. Yet, when Brock uses superior strength to help subdue an opponent, it's almost as if he's cheating).

Methinks that everybody could learn a lesson or two from Brock, and work on getting big and strong. That doesn't mean that you have to be a 265-pound monster like he is, but there's nothing wrong with putting on a few pounds of muscle (replacing a few pounds of fat), and getting as strong as you can for your size, is there? As long as you keep your skills, conditioning, endurance, etc., in check, won't that mean you just have another tool with which you can use to win? Sounds like it to me.

What kind of program should you use to get big and strong? For an MMAist, a simple program is best. Two to three times a week is good - compound exercises, varying intensity. You have to make sure that you leave enough in your gas tank for skills work, drilling, sparring, conditioning, and endurance work (though the last two can be incorporated in with your strength work if you know what you're doing).

A good and simple workout might look like this: Day 1 - OH Press - 3x5, Chins x 50 total reps, Deadlift 3x5. Day 2 - Bench Press - 3x5, Rows - 4x6, Squat - 3x5. Figure out how much weight you could use for 5 reps in each exercise, and subtract 20-30%. Start with that, and add weight each workout. Every fourth week, drop the weights by 50% as a backoff/deload week.

That simple workout could keep you getting as strong as you'd need for quite a while. There are various things you could change/add to the workout, but it would have to be done in conjunction with designing your overall program, to make sure that you're developing a good and complete overall program.

Train Hard, Rest Hard, Play Hard.

Matt "Wiggy" Wiggins is a strength coach and author living in Cameron, N.C. Having trained and designed Workout Plans for 16+ years, Wiggy is a strength moderator at mma.tv, columnist for MMAWeekly.com, and an avid fan of Mixed Martial Arts Training. His site, Working Class Fitness.com, is dedicated to designing low-tech, high-result Workout Programs; earning praise from the likes of UFC commentator and martial artist Joe Rogan, Ultimate Fighter alumnus Jules Bruchez, world famous strength and conditioning coach Charles Staley, UFC veteran Leigh Remedios, and others.
Old 09-07-2009, 03:02 AM
Crowbar

Good article
Old 09-07-2009, 03:19 AM
I'm kind of a big deal

I've posted some of the same things on this forum, just not in quite of great detail.

I was at the bar the other night arguing with some guy over Brock beating Mir and he said it was no skill at all. I said, "Would you agree that Mir is one of the best heavyweights in the world at BJJ?" He said, "Yes." I replied, "So you think it took Brock no skill to completely avoid Mir's submission attempts? Mir didn't even get 1 attempt during that fight. He got his ass handed to him by a guy with 'no skill.'" He didn't have much of a reply, lol

To go 106-5 in NCAA Division I wrestling and to become the UFC champion in 4 professional fights doesn't come from size and strength alone. Definitely don't let your hatred of Brock blind you by stupidity.
Old 09-07-2009, 03:25 AM
que

the author of the article keeps stating that "brock is a real champion whether people accept it or not"

i don't think anyone is claiming he's not a real champion anymore. he beat top HW contender heath herring and then beat two former HW champions randy and mir in a row. brock being a legit champ is old news now.

but it seems the author is pro-lesnar and is trying to defend him without coming out and saying it like he really wants to say it. bottom line is, no one can defend his douchebaggary he displayed at UFC 100. i don't care how long an article you write about how he might be a great guy outside the cage, or how he might be a down to earth guy if you sit down with him at a bar, or if he is a nice guy if you pass him on the street. the fact is, he is a douche in the cage and that is why ESPN listed him as "UFC's new Villian people love to hate" he rightfully deserves that title. actions speak louder than words and he must prove himself that he can act like a professional in defeat or victory before people respect him.
Old 09-07-2009, 04:29 AM
Matt-4; GJJ Black Belts-0

Quote:

http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/...asp?articleid=
9516&zoneid=13

Others don't like Lesnar because they say he's too brash, disrespectful, mean, etc. - that he's not just playing a "heel" type of character, but that he really is a jerk. (These aren't my feelings - I'm just passing on what others seem to feel.) If that's what you think of Brock, then you're more than likely a relatively new(er) fan of MMA. I say this because if you have been watching the UFC since the SEG era, then you'd know that Brock hasn't said or done anything any worse than Tank Abbot ever did, or that Tito Ortiz (back when he was a champ) ever put on a T-shirt.
I never liked Tito either... not the biggest fan of Abbot either... for those same reasons... does that mean I know nothing about MMA cause I don't care for those fighters either??

Quote:
Yet others dislike Lesnar because of his time spent in professional wrestling. Which I never really understood because many other MMAists have spent time in the wrestling ring/industry including Ken Shamrock, Mark Coleman, Don Frye, Dan Severn, Kazuyuki Fujita, Kazushi Sakuraba, Frank Trigg, Bobby Lashley, Tank Abbot, and many others.
ermmmm???Mark Coleman a pro wrestler...news to me.. I can't even find anyinfo... and Don Frye was a pro wresteler AFTER a stint in the UFC...same as Dan Severn, Trigg, Abbot... and many others.. only Lashley and Lesner have made the jump in the same order that I am aware of..so that's a non argument...

Quote:
Then there is the tattoo on Brock's chest. No discussion necessary.
The penis made to look like a combat knife... just a stupid tattoo.. IMO..

Quote:
I can't tell you how many times I've seen it said (usually in a forum somewhere), that Brock is just - and I'm paraphrasing here - "big, strong, and in shape. He's not really a good martial artist - he's just naturally athletic, and a muscle-bound monster."
He isn't a good martial artist... it's pretty obvious... Unless you count wrestling as a martial art.. (which I do)....

Brock winning a UFC fight is like me beating a guy that I outweigh by 50+ pounds.. it makes sense that I would win.. Being as big as Brock is.. it's pretty much an "unfair" advantage... when you put that on top of beginners skill.. there are some "easy" wins. I would like to see Brock fight someone at the same weight..

Quote:
I'm sorry, but that is just plain stupid.

First of all, we like to say that professional MMAists are some of the best trained, hardest working athletes in the world. Yet, when a guy who is a natural athlete with a ton of God-given potential enters the sport and has some immediate success, we want to belittle him for it?
Quote:
(Funny - when you hear of guys like Tito Ortiz, Randy Couture, etc., that are known for their super-human conditioning, nobody ever puts these guys down saying that all they do is wear out their opponents and let their conditioning take over. Yet, when Brock uses superior strength to help subdue an opponent, it's almost as if he's cheating).
Super Human Conditioning is not fighting a guy two weight classes over someone.. and I would like to see Brock go 3,4,5 rounds... bet he gasses like crazy...

But hey... that's just me..
Old 09-07-2009, 05:08 AM
matthughesfan21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiritwalker View Post
I would like to see Brock fight someone at the same weight..
thats what we get to see with carwin
Old 09-07-2009, 06:21 AM
Chuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiritwalker View Post
I never liked Tito either... not the biggest fan of Abbot either... for those same reasons... does that mean I know nothing about MMA cause I don't care for those fighters either??

ermmmm???Mark Coleman a pro wrestler...news to me.. I can't even find anyinfo... and Don Frye was a pro wresteler AFTER a stint in the UFC...same as Dan Severn, Trigg, Abbot... and many others.. only Lashley and Lesner have made the jump in the same order that I am aware of..so that's a non argument...

The penis made to look like a combat knife... just a stupid tattoo.. IMO..

He isn't a good martial artist... it's pretty obvious... Unless you count wrestling as a martial art.. (which I do)....

Brock winning a UFC fight is like me beating a guy that I outweigh by 50+ pounds.. it makes sense that I would win.. Being as big as Brock is.. it's pretty much an "unfair" advantage... when you put that on top of beginners skill.. there are some "easy" wins. I would like to see Brock fight someone at the same weight..

Super Human Conditioning is not fighting a guy two weight classes over someone.. and I would like to see Brock go 3,4,5 rounds... bet he gasses like crazy...

But hey... that's just me..
Brother you just saved me a hell of a lot of typing!!!! Excellent post!
Old 09-08-2009, 07:34 PM
KENTUCKYREDBONE

I'm still convinced that the main reason so many Folk's hate Brock is because of his Previous employment in wwe! Not many will out right admit to it but that was behind alot of it. Folk's were calling him names and accusing him of being on steroids before he even got in the UFC let along flipped the Philly crowd off. To be honest if I was a fighter I think I would rather fight in front of a Japanese crowd than my own country! Especially if that Philly crowd is in any way typical!
Old 09-08-2009, 07:47 PM
matthughesfan21

Quote:
Originally Posted by KENTUCKYREDBONE View Post
I'm still convinced that the main reason so many Folk's hate Brock is because of his Previous employment in wwe! Not many will out right admit to it but that was behind alot of it. Folk's were calling him names and accusing him of being on steroids before he even got in the UFC let along flipped the Philly crowd off. To be honest if I was a fighter I think I would rather fight in front of a Japanese crowd than my own country! Especially if that Philly crowd is in any way typical!
it was the Las Vegas crowd, if it was philly he should have flipped them off