Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > MMA

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-18-2009, 05:44 PM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan
Default David Whitley does not like Women's MMA

Hahaha, this is a pretty funny article I found on www.WatchKalibRun.com. As you can probably tell from the title, they know their MMA & aren't afraid to be a little tongue-in-cheek about it. Anyway, read on:

Quote:
David Whitley of AOL Fanhouse is not a fan of women's MMA. Well the feeling is mutual I am sure.
WKR thought about sending this to the Fire Joe Morgan boys but maybe WKR can handle it.

We've just witnessed the greatest advancement for female sports since Brandi Chastain ripped off her shirt at the end of the World Cup.
Do you have a poster of it because I do!

So why does it feel more like a punch to the stomach?
Maybe its because you were you punched in your stomach last night. Just saying.

I'm talking about last weekend's MMA bout between Gina Carano and Cristiane "Cyborg" Santos. It supposedly is the breakthrough battle that will make female fighting mainstream.
I don't think anyone thinks male's MMA is mainstream. Carano's claim to fame was being on American Gladiators, Red Alert 3 and Maxim. If that is the ceiling of mainstream appeal for an MMA star then we are in trouble. Thank god we have Chuck Liddell on Dancing with the Stars.
It came days after the International Olympic Committee approved female boxing for the 2012 Olympics. The ancient Greeks who started the Olympics treated women like property. Now we're letting women treat themselves like animals.

You know what two professions women could become in ancient Greece? PROSTITUTE OR SEAMSTRESS!
This, of course, is seen as progress. Maybe it's the thought of a female Chuck Wepner, but I don't see much enlightenment.

What the hell does the guy who was the inspiration for Rocky have to do with this....oh....wait a second. You're a boxing fan aren't you? Now I get it.
I can't rationally argue women shouldn't be allowed to beat themselves bloody. It's more an emotional repulsion that makes me hope these breakthroughs are overblown.
Wait, you can't rationally argue against women's MMA so why are you writing this? That's right, you need to feel good about your bias and there is nothing as cathartic as mind dumping your thoughts on AOL Fanhouse. Jay Marrioti does it too.

On a practical level, I doubt the Carano vs. Cyborg was the fighting equivalent of the 19th Amendment. When it comes to female fighters, the MMA still has less depth than Paris Hilton. Carano was its Danica Patrick, and now she's been beaten by Ivan Drago.

We all enjoy making fun of Paris Hilton so I can't fault you for that, oh wait I can! Here's some of that depth: Sarah Kaufman, Megumi Fuji, Tara LaRossa, Kelly Kobold, Miku Matsumoto, Marloes Coenen, Yuka Tsuji, Shayna Baszler and many more.
We all know that looks matter, which is why the WWE long ago replaced the Fabulous Moolah with pole dancers. If female combat is going to ever make it big, it will need competitors who look like strippers and fight like bouncers.

Yeah, looks in female sponsors manner
That concludes the Male Chauvinist Pig portion of this column. Honestly, I don't think a woman's place is on the sideline waving a pom-pom. I'm all for equal pay, a female president and my daughters growing up in a misogyny-free world.
Its so refreshing to see someone admit their sexist and discriminatory opinions. Now if we can just get those damn birthers to admit that they are mad about a black men being elected President.

I just don't care to see them in a boxing ring, even if they're beating up some Russian for a gold medal.

Clearly you never saw Million Dollar Baby.