Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-17-2009, 11:21 PM

Default UFC CEO: Friends/Teammates must fight!

http://mmamania.com/2009/07/16/get-d...een-teammates/

Quote:
As the UFC expands, several major camps have distinguished themselves from the rest, building strong stables of fighters focused on proving themselves as top contenders in their respective divisions.

Camps like Xtreme Couture, Greg Jackson’s MMA, American Kickboxing Academy (AKA) and American Top Team, among others, have developed into MMA powerhouses. In the process, they’ve also developed strong ties between teammates who, more often than not, refuse to fight one another.

Thus far, this hasn’t presented very many problems, except perhaps for Diego Sanchez, who as a welterweight left Greg Jackson’s camp when it started a partnership with welterweight champion Georges St. Pierre. From Sanchez’s perspective, he was gunning for St. Pierre’s belt and felt he couldn’t train with his would-be opponent.

But beyond that, several fighters have openly stated that they refuse to fight teammates; however, it may only be a matter of time before they will have to, according to UFC Co-owner and CEO Lorenzo Fertitta.

Fertitta recently told Sherdog.com that he’s not in the business of trying to make sure teammates won’t fight teammates. “Look, at the end of the day, we’re here to see fighters, we’re here to see fights,” said Fertitta. “If teammates don’t want to fight, then they’re gonna have to go somewhere else. We don’t put up with that stuff.”
I respect loyalty as a virtue; however, as a fan, I think that the fighters should be professionals and fight anyone the UFC puts in front of them. It is a real issue in the welterweight division with Swick, Koscheck and Fitch being from the same team. I think most people would rank those 3 fighters in the top 10 of the UFC welterweight division. I would also love to see an Anderson Silva vs. Machida match-up; I don't care about an Evans vs. Jardine fight, to be honest.