Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > MMA

Old 06-16-2009, 09:42 PM
thekevineri

Default Wraps

Sorry if this is a repeat or dumb, but I was thinking the other day...

In sparring and training i dont really use wraps, unless i had a fight comin up or something.

One of my Coaches (Juggs) used to wrap my hands like a boxer, while a differant 'coach' i had wrapped em more like the Thai MT Kick boxers...

So, my question is, which way, or another way does anyone prefer?

I didnt like the boxing way because they'd run up a little on the open palm of my glove, but my complaint with the Thai way is that theres a LOT of wrap stuck inside the glove.

Im getting some mexican wraps that stretch a little bit, and gonna try those out.
Old 06-16-2009, 09:47 PM
Crisco

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekevineri
Sorry if this is a repeat or dumb, but I was thinking the other day...

In sparring and training i dont really use wraps, unless i had a fight comin up or something.

One of my Coaches (Juggs) used to wrap my hands like a boxer, while a differant 'coach' i had wrapped em more like the Thai MT Kick boxers...

So, my question is, which way, or another way does anyone prefer?

I didnt like the boxing way because they'd run up a little on the open palm of my glove, but my complaint with the Thai way is that theres a LOT of wrap stuck inside the glove.

Im getting some mexican wraps that stretch a little bit, and gonna try those out.
I prefer the tie wrap.

Having the extra wrap between the fingers really helps keep the small bones intact.
Old 06-16-2009, 10:23 PM
Miss Foxy

You should try to get in the habit of wrapping your hands often. You mentioned you don't wrap during training/sparring.. Bad habit. I know you don't feel nothing, but you should be good to your hands. Mexican wraps are longer I don't like Mexican wraps when boxing, but I guess we are all different. I only know how to wrap em for boxing so I favor that way I guess
Old 06-17-2009, 12:58 AM
thekevineri

nah dood, the reason i usually dont wrap em is cause when i grapple they get all messed up, and then i have to stop, rewrap, ad get back into it. I dont like breaking flow. haha.

I thought mexican wraps were the ones where they had a certain elasticity to it...? not just the length being differant. I cut mine anyway, i dont like the thumb loop.
Old 06-17-2009, 12:44 PM
County Mike

I use an MMA wrap. It leaves the palms open but still covers the knuckles and gives your hand and wrists the support it needs to punch hard without breaking. I don't really know how to explain it in a written message but it basically comes over the top of the hand, around a finger, then back across the top of the hand - changing directions for the X you need across the back of your hand and repeated for each finger. Wrap once or twice around the wrist between each finger wrapping as well.