Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 06-16-2009, 02:16 AM
TexasRN's Avatar
TexasRN TexasRN is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Texan living in NC
Posts: 4,707
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisco
Yea it's around 205-210 pounds he walks around at. It was just in FIGHT! magazine I believe.

That is some serious weight cut especially since the kid is shredded.
Fight magazine says "low 200's" and that is the issue that just came out so I'm going with 205-210 range. He's freakin' huge and the cutting will take a lot out of him even if he does it right. He'll be cutting last minute for sure and he'll gas against GSP if it goes into the later rounds.


~Amy
__________________
__________________________________________

My son made this for me:
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 06-16-2009, 04:20 AM
que
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

i think he will

he may be stupid but i don't think he's THAT stupid to not make weight for his long awaited title shot.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 06-16-2009, 06:11 AM
atomdanger
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Hmm... its always a risk with this guy.
He was caught using drugs to cut weight once,
and he didn't make weight another time.

Honestly, if you're having so much trouble making weight,
just fight at MW.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 06-16-2009, 06:37 AM
MMeh
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomdanger
Hmm... its always a risk with this guy.
He was caught using drugs to cut weight once,
and he didn't make weight another time.

Honestly, if you're having so much trouble making weight,
just fight at MW.
Agreed. ATT seems to have a lot of guys who are gigantic for their division, but with Alves it's getting to a point where he might not be able to physically hit 170 without using diet drugs. My guess is this is his last fight at 170.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 06-16-2009, 06:42 AM
KENTUCKYREDBONE
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Sounds like he definitely needs to go up a weight class!
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 06-16-2009, 07:39 AM
NateR's Avatar
NateR NateR is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 6,299
Default

Personally, I don't believe that he should even be given a title shot until he proves he can make weight consistently. If it was up to me, he'd have to win two preliminary welterweight bouts, making weight both times, before getting a chance at the belt.

If he can't make weight for this fight, then I think he should be forced to move up in weight or be cut from the UFC.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 06-16-2009, 08:03 AM
Buc Nasty
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

I think he will. You guys seem to be basing your opinion on his fight with Matt but he made weight for the Koscheck fight without gassing like Travis Lutter. Alves is still young and I'm sure still learning about how his body reacts and what works best for him with regards to training and cutting weight.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 06-16-2009, 01:31 PM
rearnakedchoke
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

he should be able to make weight ... if he doesn't, travis lutter will feel a lot better about his worthless a$$
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 06-16-2009, 05:10 PM
que
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rearnakedchoke
he should be able to make weight ... if he doesn't, travis lutter will feel a lot better about his worthless a$$
lol
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 06-16-2009, 05:26 PM
Max
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buc Nasty
I think he will. You guys seem to be basing your opinion on his fight with Matt but he made weight for the Koscheck fight without gassing like Travis Lutter. Alves is still young and I'm sure still learning about how his body reacts and what works best for him with regards to training and cutting weight.
very true, Alves also made weight in the 3 fights before his fight with Matt. I dont see Alves missing weight for this fight.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 06:12 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.