Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > MMA

Old 05-31-2009, 02:11 AM
Stump Rules!

Default ROGERS WANTS RESPECT AGAINST ARLOVSKI

I think Arlovski is going to kill fatboy

Saturday, May 30, 2009 - by Steven Marrocco - MMAWeekly.com

Brett Rogers has taken the short, sure way to gain respect in the MMA world: take on opponent widely perceived to be on a higher level.

Andrei Arlovski, his charge on June 6, is a bona fide Top 10 heavyweight. The former UFC heavyweight champion fell short in his chance to knock off the number one guy, Fedor Emelianenko, but he’s still a talented and dangerous fighter.

Never mind that, Rogers says.

“Now, it’s about building respect,” he told reporters Wednesday on a Strikeforce teleconference promoting his June 6 fight with “The Pitbull.” “I’m just at that point where I have a great gym now, we have top coaches, and I’m doing everything I need to do to take on top fighters.”

Rogers was originally scheduled to take on Alistair Overeem on the main card of the St. Louis fight, but Overeem injured his hand in a barroom brawl in Holland and was forced to withdraw. Arlovski stepped in, still under a non-exclusive contract with Affliction, and suddenly, Rogers had the biggest challenge of his career.

The undefeated heavyweight bristles at Overeem’s recent fortune, but thinks everything worked out for the best.

“He’s a pro fighter and he’s going to act the fool a couple weeks beforehand, regardless of the family situation,” said Rogers. “But I’m moving on to bigger and better (things), I get the fight with Arlovski, knock him out, hopefully move on to someone better. This isn’t going to be forever, so I (need) to make my move like right now while I’m healthy, nothing’s wrong.”

Rogers, who grew up in the Cabrini-Green Projects in Chicago’s North Side, has quit his day job at Sam’s Club in St. Paul, Minn., for good, he says. In the next year, he wants to make a serious run at the Strikeforce heavyweight title and beyond. He’s training at Ambition MMA in Eagan, Minn., alongside his Team Bison teammates and the pro football players, bodybuilders, and other athletes who come to get a serious workout. He feels the switch to full-time has helped him turn a corner.

After a yearlong layoff, a lot was riding on his April return. Bills needed to get paid, and as he put it, opponent Ron “Abongo” Humphries was going to pay them.

“You call anybody from the street and tell them that you gonna get X amount of money, you’re definitely going through that pressure,” said Rogers. “Because you’ve got to get out there and do whatever. So I went into that fight with that kind of mindset. I knew about Abongo’s background, and I really wasn’t trying to give him no chance at all of doing anything.”

Thankfully, Rogers dispatched Humphries with vicious knees and punches at “Shamrock vs. Diaz,” and the pressure let up a bit. A month and a half later, it’s back.

“I still feel like I’m in the same situation with Arlovski,” he said. “If I move forward, it’s great, but if I don’t, it’s just going to be promises. I’ve gotta get in there and do work with him too.”

He was a fan of Arlovski’s when he got into the game, but those feelings have to be put aside.

“He’s just another man,” said Rogers. “You know, he walks around with vampire teeth and all that. If we don’t go out with and bang, then I’m gonna want the tooth. That’s the way I see it. I want to go in there and just hurt... that’s all I’m thinking. I just want to hurt. None of that soft, tappy stuff, I just want to hurt.”

At the gym, he’s been working on countering Arlovski’s technical skills, especially his footwork and boxing, without running out of energy.

“I’ve been more concerned about speed, working with guys with a lot of speed ever since I heard about the fight,” said Rogers. “Arlovski, he’s going to want to move around a lot. I definitely want control of this fight. Arlovski’s a lighter heavyweight, and he’s real light on his toes, so definitely more conditioning and more control.”

He’ll get plenty of respect if he can control The Pitbull.

“I’m still undefeated, and I plan on being that way after the 6th,” said Rogers.

http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/...=8849&zoneid=2

http://stumpdotcom.com/
Old 05-31-2009, 03:17 AM
I'm kind of a big deal

I like Rogers. I agree he's outclassed, but he's a big hitter, anything can happen. Gotta admire his confidence and ambition.
Old 05-31-2009, 04:03 AM
atomdanger

Ugh...

I respect Brett Rogers for taking the fight with AA, but damn...
What a huge step up in competition for one, and for two... its AA
Old 05-31-2009, 05:39 AM
Jason 16

And if he wins ..............
Old 05-31-2009, 06:10 AM
atomdanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason 16
And if he wins ..............
Yeah.. wow what a statement that will be.
AA is just as dangerous as he has ever been, maybe even more so now than before.
If Rogers can manage to find a way to win.. He is on the map, big time.
Old 05-31-2009, 02:32 PM
Josh

At that level of the sport I have a hard time respecting someone who is not in good shape. I mean it shows that they don't respect the sport enough to come in prepared. AA will ruin him.
Old 05-31-2009, 05:45 PM
atomdanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh
At that level of the sport I have a hard time respecting someone who is not in good shape. I mean it shows that they don't respect the sport enough to come in prepared. AA will ruin him.
Eh, with Rogers I don't think he is at that level yet.

The guy still works at a tire factory, and isn't even a full time fighter
Old 05-31-2009, 06:07 PM
I'm kind of a big deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomdanger
Eh, with Rogers I don't think he is at that level yet.

The guy still works at a tire factory, and isn't even a full time fighter
According to the article posted in the first thread, he used to work at Sam's Club, but recently quit to train full-time and make a serious run at the Stikeforce heavyweight championship. We might see an emergence in his conditioning thanks to this. I don't give him much of a shot against AA, but a big puncher always has a chance.