Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > MMA

Old 05-29-2009, 01:18 AM
atomdanger

Its weird it doesn't really say what happened to break his neck? O_o
very interesting.

But honestly.. more people die snowboarding, walking, driving, etc.....
Old 05-29-2009, 04:03 AM
SupaDupaMod

Send a message via Yahoo to Neezar

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomdanger
Its weird it doesn't really say what happened to break his neck? O_o
very interesting.

But honestly.. more people die snowboarding, walking, driving, etc.....
Watch the video. The angle of the neck and then hitting the mat along with the pressure of the arm.....Snap!
Old 05-29-2009, 04:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neezar
Watch the video. The angle of the neck and then hitting the mat along with the pressure of the arm.....Snap!
I see where he goes down but I don't actually see him hitting the mat even when I full-sized the video. But, I was thinking like you said when they went down his head hitting and that guy holding on and his head probably snapping back up and that did it.

Do any of you remember several years ago when they showed where grown men were getting paralyzed when they were sliding on their kids' Slip-n-Slides? The doctors explained that for kids when they ran and threw themselves down and slid their bones are still "soft", I guess, plus their weight is lighter; but, with a grown man when he would run and belly-flop down the force of his body (with his weight) hitting the ground would cause his neck/head to whip back breaking his neck paralyzing him.

I figured maybe some of the same "mechanics" were at work here.
Old 05-29-2009, 06:12 PM
cheachea

This really sucks. I prayed for this guy as soon as a read this. I pray he will recover.
Old 05-30-2009, 07:44 PM
gymcoach97

I'm seen a couple of instances in the UFC where guys have been virtually slammed on their heads in such a scenario. The one that comes to mind is the Gray Maynard - Rob Emerson no-contest fight when Maynard knocked himself out with a slam while also hurting Emerson.

Also, if any of you have ever seen the Fedor v. Kevin Randleman fight, Fedor gets slammed on his head. Of course, he gets back up and eventually submits Randleman because he's Fedor.

Unfortunately, it's a very real possibility. With that said, freakish things can happen in virtually any physical and/or contact sport. I guarantee that there are more neck injuries in football than MMA. Even in baseball or basketball, I've seen neck injuries...guys colliding at home or running into the outfield wall (baseball) or guys getting undercut and landing on their neck (basketball).