Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > Training/Nutrition

Old 05-20-2009, 09:23 PM
rearnakedchoke

Default Two-a-days ...

So I started doing 60 mins of cardio in the morning and 45 minutes of weights at lunch ... i am not having any issues with the cardio part, i don't mind getting up at 4:30 .. (gotta get back in shape)

but my weight sessions are tough ... i have always been on the muscular side, so i want to reduce my body fat % and keep some size (hence the weight sessions) .... i mean, i could get my bodyfat% real low by just doing cardio, but that look doesn't look good on me ...

any suggestions?
Old 05-20-2009, 09:40 PM
County Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by rearnakedchoke
So I started doing 60 mins of cardio in the morning and 45 minutes of weights at lunch ... i am not having any issues with the cardio part, i don't mind getting up at 4:30 .. (gotta get back in shape)

but my weight sessions are tough ... i have always been on the muscular side, so i want to reduce my body fat % and keep some size (hence the weight sessions) .... i mean, i could get my bodyfat% real low by just doing cardio, but that look doesn't look good on me ...

any suggestions?
What's tough about the weight sessions? Do you just lack the energy to do them? I do my workouts kinda reverse from you. I do about an hour of weights at lunchtime, then the MMA classes (which are a lot of cardio) in the evening. Quite often I feel tired before the class but once I'm in there, they motivate me. I could see it being hard to motivate myself for the second workout of the day though.
Old 05-20-2009, 10:01 PM
rearnakedchoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by County Mike
What's tough about the weight sessions? Do you just lack the energy to do them? I do my workouts kinda reverse from you. I do about an hour of weights at lunchtime, then the MMA classes (which are a lot of cardio) in the evening. Quite often I feel tired before the class but once I'm in there, they motivate me. I could see it being hard to motivate myself for the second workout of the day though.
yeah man, the energy ... i am still eating so the fuel is there i think ... but just pushing the weight feels tougher and i feel i am waiting between sets too long ...
Old 05-21-2009, 04:17 AM
County Mike

That's understandable, but you have to realize it's more mental than physical. Your body is ready to go. It's your mind that's holding you back. Push through the mental tiredness and force your body to go.

If you have to (and can) change the order. For me, it's easier to psych myself up for a cardio workout than for a lifting workout. Cardio isn't physically hard. You just have to gut-check your way to the end. For me, lifting requires more physical energy and strength.
Old 05-21-2009, 04:29 AM
I'm kind of a big deal

Do cardio and weight training on different days. I've always kept them separate to make sure I have optimal energy for either workout. Diet is far more imporatant for losing fat anyways.