Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Politics

Old 05-18-2009, 11:36 PM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan

All I've gotten from this thread so far is "Blah blah blah blah Ga-day guv-nah blah blah blah right-o chaps blah blah Jens the Budgie".
Old 05-19-2009, 12:18 AM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB Rattlesnake
Our Speaker of the House has been in some hot water lately as well over her knowledge of "enhanced interrogation techniques".

What can the Queen do? Forgive my ignorance, but does she really have any political power besides just her popularity with the people?
Oh yes. The Queen still has many of Her Powers. She just choses not to exercise them in public.

For example. She can disolve Parliament, or Veto important decisions the Prime Minister makes, effectively over-rulling the Government. Case in point. Many Royalists thought she might over-rule Tony Blair when he decided to join your coilition on invading Iraq. She didnt...but the point is, she could have done...I think she would have done if Tony had failed to pass it through parliament, and continued anyway.

He managed to get it through Parliament...and so she permitted the Government to continue.

So She could decide to remove the Speaker. The Queen...I dont think she sees herself as a "political" figure. You wait to Charles sits on the Throne, then you might see Royalty interfere with Parliament...but of course the worry is that if the Royals speak out to much...well...there are plenty of Citizens who wouldnt hesitate to say we should rid England of Royalty all together

Our Speaker is different from yours. Our Speaker is not Affiliated to any party. He is neutral. He represents "The House" The Official in charge of The Commons. So He symbolizes Parliament in a unique way. He isnt the Prime Minister...BUT within the House he is actually...almost more important, because he supervizes the debates in the House. The Mace which sits on the Desk in the Centre of the House...that belongs Officially to Him. He is like the Mayor of Parliament if thats possible.

For many years the Speaker was a Glorious Woman called "Betty"
Old 05-19-2009, 12:48 AM
Hughes_GOAT

wasn't Betty married to Barney? and do you guys still where those sweet white wigs?
Old 05-19-2009, 02:18 AM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyburn
Oh yes. The Queen still has many of Her Powers. She just choses not to exercise them in public.

For example. She can disolve Parliament, or Veto important decisions the Prime Minister makes, effectively over-rulling the Government. Case in point. Many Royalists thought she might over-rule Tony Blair when he decided to join your coilition on invading Iraq. She didnt...but the point is, she could have done...I think she would have done if Tony had failed to pass it through parliament, and continued anyway.

He managed to get it through Parliament...and so she permitted the Government to continue.

So She could decide to remove the Speaker. The Queen...I dont think she sees herself as a "political" figure. You wait to Charles sits on the Throne, then you might see Royalty interfere with Parliament...but of course the worry is that if the Royals speak out to much...well...there are plenty of Citizens who wouldnt hesitate to say we should rid England of Royalty all together

Our Speaker is different from yours. Our Speaker is not Affiliated to any party. He is neutral. He represents "The House" The Official in charge of The Commons. So He symbolizes Parliament in a unique way. He isnt the Prime Minister...BUT within the House he is actually...almost more important, because he supervizes the debates in the House. The Mace which sits on the Desk in the Centre of the House...that belongs Officially to Him. He is like the Mayor of Parliament if thats possible.

For many years the Speaker was a Glorious Woman called "Betty"
That is interesting stuff, I never really knew that about the Queen's power. I almost like the idea of the Speaker not being attached to any political party better than our way. It allows for too much political pandering to one extreme or the other. In all honesty though, I am convinced that ANYBODY would be a better Speaker than Nancy Pelosi. She is so fake she might as well be made of plastic.
Old 05-19-2009, 01:04 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hughes_GOAT
wasn't Betty married to Barney? and do you guys still where those sweet white wigs?
Well The Judicial System still wear Wigs...yes. So Judges, some Lawyers, and many Clerks will wear the White Wigs.

Ministers of Parliament are not required to wear them anymore.

Meet Betty!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHt_vHhYb-o "I HAVE NOT FINISHED!" "we like to keep a sesne of humour going on in this house, yes!" hahahaha She was THE BEST Speaker we've had in Centuries IMHO (notice...Blair is leader of the Opposition,....he is NOT yet come to Power in the Video...and Betty tells the Government to STFU and Listen to the Opposition!!"
Old 05-19-2009, 01:23 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB Rattlesnake
That is interesting stuff, I never really knew that about the Queen's power. I almost like the idea of the Speaker not being attached to any political party better than our way. It allows for too much political pandering to one extreme or the other. In all honesty though, I am convinced that ANYBODY would be a better Speaker than Nancy Pelosi. She is so fake she might as well be made of plastic.
The difference is...if you take away the Government, and the Opposition parties...you are still left with "The House" even if its empty...the House itself is an Office...and its taken up by the Administrator of Parliament basically...that is what the Speaker is. Now with a job like that...they CANT be connected to any of the parties.

As for the Queens powers...you might like to know the most harsh words ever spoken in the House was against the Government after the Royalists lost the civil war and the Monarchy was axed (literally, executed)

There were three stages to the Civil war, the last Stage was after Charles had been executed and the Parliament who had served under Oliver Cromwell, refused to disband. Oliver thought they were as corrupt as the King, even though they had been in opposition to the King. They refused to disband as had been decided

So he burst into Parliament in April 1653 and said the following

"It is high time for me to put an end to your sitting in the place, which you have dishonoured by your contempt of virtue, and defiled by your practise of every vice. Ye are a factious crew, and enemies to all good government, ye are a pack of mercenary wretches and would, like Esau, seel your country for a mess of pottage, and like Judas, betray you GOD for a few piece of money. Is there a single virtue now remaining amoungst you? Is there one vice you do not possess? Ye have no more religion then my horse, Gold is your God which of you have not bartered your conscience for bribes? Is there a man amoungst you that has the least care for the good of the Commonwealth? Ye sordid prostitutes, have you not defiled this sacred place and turned the Lords Temple into a den of theives by your immoral principles and wicked practise? Ye are grown intolerably odious to the whole nation, you were deputed here by the people to get grievances redressed and are yourselves become the greatest grivance. Your country therefore calls upon me to cleanse this augean stable, by putting a final period to your iniquitous proceedings in this House, and which, by GODs help, and the strength he hath given me, I am now come to do. I command ye therefore upon the peril of your lives to depart immediately, out of this place, go, get you out, make haste, ye venal slaves be gone, so, take away that shining bauble there, and lock up the doors. In the Name of GOD...GO"

...and they went
Old 05-19-2009, 03:44 PM
Crisco

He resigned today