Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Sports

View Poll Results: Pacquaio vs. Hatton, who wins and how?
PacMan by KO 6 40.00%
Hatton by KO 0 0%
PacMan by TKO 4 26.67%
Hatton by TKO 3 20.00%
PacMan by Decision 1 6.67%
Hatton by Decision 1 6.67%
Draw 0 0%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-06-2009, 03:47 AM
I'm kind of a big deal

I also agree with this analysis:

http://queensberry-rules.com/2009/05...pacquiao-.html

Quote:
...So afraid of losing is Mayweather that I wouldn't be surprised if he watched Hatton's eyes rolling around in the back of his head after the Pacquiao knockout and is now sharply reconsidering whether he wants to fight him. Mayweather, contrary to his reputation, hasn't always avoided his stiffest challenges. He used to live for them. When Jose Luis Castillo fought Mayweather tooth and nail in their first fight and some thought Castillo deserved the decision win that Mayweather received, Mayweather was EAGER for a rematch. Alas, it was the last time Mayweather took a fight that he had the remotest chance of losing, and that was six years ago. His competition thereafter has been mostly pitiful. I thought the fights with Hatton and De La Hoya were legitimate, but no one thought they presented the stiffest tests. Mayweather can say all he wants that he turned down a multi-million dollar Antonio Margarito bout because he wanted bigger money fights, but he fought the big-hearted but under-talented Carlos Baldomir next for what, according to some accounts, was significantly less cash. I think Mayweather would have thrashed Margarito much as Shane Mosley did. But my impression remains that Mayweather THOUGHT Margarito might beat him. And that's just one instance.

There are plenty other instances that, collectively, add up to Mayweather being scared of losing his undefeated mark. One of them is his choice of Marquez, who has never fought above 135 lbs, and his apparent insistence that Marquez fight him at 147. To a certain degree, I understand it. If you can make millions upon millions beating competition that has very little chance of upsetting you, and you're so one-dimensional that all you talk about is money, wouldn't you do it? Which brings us to another reason Pacquiao-Mayweather may never happen.
It's obviously no secret, I don't like Mayweather's attitude and I hate his fighting style. IMO, 2 counter-punchers, Mayweather vs. Marquez only leads to a boring fight, one that ultimately ends in a decision. However, if he has any balls, he would meet Marquez halfway. At 147, that really doesn't issue a challenge to Mayweather IMO.

Mayweather fought the upper echelon and challenged himself in the past, but anymore, he stacks everything in his favor. He really is a Vegas type. 2 cases in point:
1. No catchweight for Hatton/Mayweather - Hatton moved up another weight class to make the fight happen.
2. As of now, Mayweather's willing to drop a whopping 2 pounds to meet Marquez at 145 when Marquez fights at 135, that's f'ing ridiculous. The fight should be at the weight class between the two fighters - 140, or halfway at the very least.

It's ok, we obviously don't agree, but there's a lot of press bombarding Mayweather and his "talking" instead of "doing" anymore. I side with that, I have for years.

Last edited by rockdawg21; 05-06-2009 at 03:53 AM.
Old 05-06-2009, 04:06 AM
WAR CARDINALS!

Again, you have conveniently ignored every point I have raised and deferred to opinions given by somebody else. Clearly, you are a hater, which is fine, just admit it.

You don't like his style? What can I say to that? I'm sorry. Too bad.

No catch-weight for Hatton? Oh yeah, like Floyd is the only boxer to do that, besides the fact that Floyd was the welterweight champion so Ricky had to come up to fight for the title...

Not coming down for Marquez? Why should he? It's a tune-up fight. Floyd is the big ticket, he is the only reason we are talking about Marquez right now. Coming up in weight is always easier than going down at this stage anyway.

You and all the other haters just can't stand the fact that a little flashy black guy with a big-mouth when it comes to hype has actually dominated the Boxing world for 10 years. I'm NOT saying it's a race thing, but it's definitely a culture thing. Although I do find it funny that at the same time people who hate Floyd will praise Ali in the same breath. Unbelievable.
Old 05-06-2009, 04:38 AM
I'm kind of a big deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB Rattlesnake
Again, you have conveniently ignored every point I have raised and deferred to opinions given by somebody else. Clearly, you are a hater, which is fine, just admit it.

You don't like his style? What can I say to that? I'm sorry. Too bad.

No catch-weight for Hatton? Oh yeah, like Floyd is the only boxer to do that, besides the fact that Floyd was the welterweight champion so Ricky had to come up to fight for the title...

Not coming down for Marquez? Why should he? It's a tune-up fight. Floyd is the big ticket, he is the only reason we are talking about Marquez right now. Coming up in weight is always easier than going down at this stage anyway.

You and all the other haters just can't stand the fact that a little flashy black guy with a big-mouth when it comes to hype has actually dominated the Boxing world for 10 years. I'm NOT saying it's a race thing, but it's definitely a culture thing. Although I do find it funny that at the same time people who hate Floyd will praise Ali in the same breath. Unbelievable.
I already admitted that I'm a hater, but my argument isn't without legitimate points, we just don't agree on those points

I'm just being lazy about writing and I'm not as creative as those writers (ironically, I sell library books for a living ), but the quotes are exactly what I've been saying to my friends. However, they agree with me unlike you

And your last statement is just ridiculous. If the guy was white, hispanic, asian, etc. and acted like that, I wouldn't like him. Mayorga is a Hispanic guy; he has the same attitude, it's why I don't like him either (however, I haven't paid any attention to him since he lost to DLH). Anyways, that's Mayweather's thing, and it works well for him because he sells tickets. I'll admit, I'd imagine in real life, he's an alright guy when he's not putting on a show to sell tickets. Yes, he's the guy to chase so he doesn't really have to drop a weight class to fight Marquez, but if he really wanted to cement a legacy, he'd of stepped up in class after he cleared out his own weight class.
Old 05-06-2009, 05:12 AM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockdawg21
I already admitted that I'm a hater, but my argument isn't without legitimate points, we just don't agree on those points

I'm just being lazy about writing and I'm not as creative as those writers (ironically, I sell library books for a living ), but the quotes are exactly what I've been saying to my friends. However, they agree with me unlike you

And your last statement is just ridiculous. If the guy was white, hispanic, asian, etc. and acted like that, I wouldn't like him. Mayorga is a Hispanic guy; he has the same attitude, it's why I don't like him either (however, I haven't paid any attention to him since he lost to DLH). Anyways, that's Mayweather's thing, and it works well for him because he sells tickets. I'll admit, I'd imagine in real life, he's an alright guy when he's not putting on a show to sell tickets. Yes, he's the guy to chase so he doesn't really have to drop a weight class to fight Marquez, but if he really wanted to cement a legacy, he'd of stepped up in class after he cleared out his own weight class.
I said it's NOT about race, but it is about culture. You don't like Mayweather because how you perceive him, but the flashiness is really just a part of how he hypes the fight. A lot of fighters and athletes do it. Floyd has been over the top in interviews at times, and he is flashy,but aside from that all things point to Mayweather being a very nice and well liked person. Still, I understand that some people just don't like him, and that's fine. That's how it goes! Lord knows I have teams and athletes I just can't stand

Mayweather DID step up in weight. He started at Super Featherweight, then went to lightweight, junior welterweight, and then welterweight. What more do you want? Sure, lots of people are critical of Mayweather, and they always point to the same things, and I will constantly disagree, but there are also a lot of people who DO see Mayweather as already having cemented his legacy as one of the best P4P fighters ever.

I also think that a lot of the writers in most of the mainstream media are VERY fickle when it comes to their reporting on current Boxers. They flow with the flavor of the week and are quick to kick fighters to the curb in an effort to make a story that ends up on the front page with all the other major sports stories. Today they love Manny, and talk about him like he is Ali, next year when somebody else looks hot, the same writers will dump all over the guy they were just praising.