Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Christianity

Old 04-29-2009, 04:59 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Default Why Does GOD split up the family of servants?

I dont understand.

It says that the Jews were allowed to buy Slaves, and that they then owned the slave for 6 years, freeing the slave on the seventh (obviously a Sabath Mirror) It says Singles are to leave after 6 years, and stop working for their masters. The same shall be the case with a Slave IF he is married.

BUT

If the Slave Marries and has children during the 6 years, when the seventh comes around, the Male Slave must leave...but the Wife and the Children are NOT freed

The Wife and the Children become the Masters Property...and the Husband of the Wife must go.

IF he refuses to Go...

"and if the servant shall plainly say "I love my wife and my Children, I will not go out free" Then his master shall bring him unto the Judges, he shall also bring him to the door, or unto the door post, and his master shall bore his ear through with an awl and he shall serve him forever."

As I understand, whilst being a servant the Master pays for his Servants wellbeing. I suppose when there are children, you could say its good of the Master to continue to pay for the upkeep of the Wife and Child...because presumably the Servant would have a year unpaid...how would he manage to afford to keep his family alive?

And yet...why does he have to leave...If he wants to stay with his Wife and Family, he has to serve his Master forever...and have a hole put into his ear with a tool you would use to make holes in wood...I guess thats a brand to show a male servant is owned for life with Wife and Family.

Interestingly, Women must be treated MUCH better as Servants. It seems that if they become Servants they are owned for life unless the Master treat her wrong. If she Marries her Master and displeases Him...its frankly His fault. If She marries into the family of the Master she is to be treated as a family member and no longer a servant, and if she is partaking in any multiple-Marriages and feels she is not being treated as a proper Wife. Any three are grounds for release, in the first instance He may sell her on to someone else, provided that person is not local.

Looks like Married Male Servants are fine so long as they have no Children, and Masters should avoid Female servants marrying them, or into their family.
Old 04-29-2009, 05:06 PM
Crisco

I'd love to contribute something to this but it doesn't make sense to me.

Chalk it up to God recognizing that certain debts and such can only be paid with service and perhaps trying to be fair to the owner of the slaves?

Not really sure man. God has his reasons I suppose. I still thoroughly oppose slavery though.
Old 04-29-2009, 05:27 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisco
I'd love to contribute something to this but it doesn't make sense to me.

Chalk it up to God recognizing that certain debts and such can only be paid with service and perhaps trying to be fair to the owner of the slaves?

Not really sure man. God has his reasons I suppose. I still thoroughly oppose slavery though.
These arent slaves.

They are servants.

They are in paid employment basically.

I discovered other ways Servants can be freed,

Damage done to eyes and teeth by the Master, (or by an attack on the servant) can result in them being freed due to injury basically.

In the event of an animal attack, the Master is clear so long as he kills the offending animal, and doesnt use the meat of hide. The Master does get it in the head if the same animal has been involved in attacks that resulted in minor injuries, to which the Master didnt respond by doing something...then both the offending animal and the Master have to be killed...I assume that means the Servant would have been freed...if He'd lived

In the event of an attack causeing injury, the Master must pay compensation of whatever the Servant asks for. Again if the servant is killed and the Master knew the animal was aggressive, he can pay a ransom to avoid being killed himself.

The story with this is that when an accident occurs, the Servant should infact buy the animal from the master and then kill it....so I guess when that doesnt happen for whatever reason, thats when Bad animals get away with naughtiness and eventually kill, and its known, and not been sorted before hand