Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 04-27-2009, 10:24 AM

Default Liddell, Coutore and Hughes, the last actions of the old guard

I have been pondering on what Liddell should do after another loss and the whole issue for me has raised many points of interest for me.

No1) seeing how Liddell went out, and how it would be better for him to retire on a win, got me thinking that whilst he can do anything he wants, Matt Hughes has the perfect scenario awaiting him.

Imagine Hughes beats Matt Serra at UFC 98 in Las Vegas, two months before UFC 100, and after coming put truimphant, says its time to hang up the mitts. To me, it would be an ideal ending not that i wouldnt mind seeing Matt in the cage again.

No2) i agree with Mir and others that ultimately the decision for Liddells retirement is his own. If he is healthy he can fight. And when you put it into perspective it actually isnt all that bad.

He lost a decision to Jardine, the awkward plucky guy who held Rampage for 3 Rounds as well, a Rampage who is surely Top 3 at the moment, in my opinion the champion in waiting. We know Chuck lost to his kryptonnite Rampage, a top level opponent.

He then beat Wanderlei in one the greatest fights ever, to then lose to Rashad and Shogun. Rashad is now champion and has proved that losing to him was no bad thing, the guy is a seriously good fighter and Shogun has recaptured perhaps what was his greatest form.

In summary,Chuck has lost to top level fighters, absolute top level. Ok its been bad but upto the Ko i thought chuck was ok. In fact watchign Chuck scramble up was a fine display of the master at work. The thing is is put chuck in with Coleman and watch the result, put him in with some lesser guys if he stills wants to fight. Give him a chance like other fighters are given to rebuild himself. He can still hang in there and deserves that chance to fight some lesser guys then decide on whether to retire.

No3) Randy Coutore! I was thinking that with an excellent gameplan Randy can beat Brock, however the problem is Brock seemingly needs one pucnh. There is heavyweight and then there is Brock! Whilst i feel Randy can still beta most people in the division, i still think Mir would beat him and the whole task just looks too hard.

So why not with Randy's nemesis gone from the LHW does Randy drop down again! I mean who would bet against Randy beating Rashad or Machida. Or schooling Forrest or taking out Jardine. I would only fear what Rampage might do but Randy could clean up. One more belt and then retire!

All in all i know these fighters, fighters that i love are in the twilight of their careers but my earnest wish is that they go out with class and style but also satisfied that they retire they done all they could do.

Just my thoughts!
Old 04-27-2009, 03:41 PM
ufcfan2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonlion
I have been pondering on what Liddell should do after another loss and the whole issue for me has raised many points of interest for me.

No1) seeing how Liddell went out, and how it would be better for him to retire on a win, got me thinking that whilst he can do anything he wants, Matt Hughes has the perfect scenario awaiting him.

Imagine Hughes beats Matt Serra at UFC 98 in Las Vegas, two months before UFC 100, and after coming put truimphant, says its time to hang up the mitts. To me, it would be an ideal ending not that i wouldnt mind seeing Matt in the cage again.

No2) i agree with Mir and others that ultimately the decision for Liddells retirement is his own. If he is healthy he can fight. And when you put it into perspective it actually isnt all that bad.

He lost a decision to Jardine, the awkward plucky guy who held Rampage for 3 Rounds as well, a Rampage who is surely Top 3 at the moment, in my opinion the champion in waiting. We know Chuck lost to his kryptonnite Rampage, a top level opponent.

He then beat Wanderlei in one the greatest fights ever, to then lose to Rashad and Shogun. Rashad is now champion and has proved that losing to him was no bad thing, the guy is a seriously good fighter and Shogun has recaptured perhaps what was his greatest form.

In summary,Chuck has lost to top level fighters, absolute top level. Ok its been bad but upto the Ko i thought chuck was ok. In fact watchign Chuck scramble up was a fine display of the master at work. The thing is is put chuck in with Coleman and watch the result, put him in with some lesser guys if he stills wants to fight. Give him a chance like other fighters are given to rebuild himself. He can still hang in there and deserves that chance to fight some lesser guys then decide on whether to retire.

No3) Randy Coutore! I was thinking that with an excellent gameplan Randy can beat Brock, however the problem is Brock seemingly needs one pucnh. There is heavyweight and then there is Brock! Whilst i feel Randy can still beta most people in the division, i still think Mir would beat him and the whole task just looks too hard.

So why not with Randy's nemesis gone from the LHW does Randy drop down again! I mean who would bet against Randy beating Rashad or Machida. Or schooling Forrest or taking out Jardine. I would only fear what Rampage might do but Randy could clean up. One more belt and then retire!

All in all i know these fighters, fighters that i love are in the twilight of their careers but my earnest wish is that they go out with class and style but also satisfied that they retire they done all they could do.

Just my thoughts!
Sooner or later all the greats have to hang'em up for good. Each person is different on how they come to that decision whether it be voluntary or forcefully. Every athelete has the competitive drive to compete as long as they can and believe they can do so.
I think most athletes know when their time is up,but that competitive edge keeps them going. Some bow out gracefully,some don't and I think ppl tend to respect more the ones who let it go and walk away.
Fighting is all these guys know and dont wanna let that glory or the roar of the crowd slip away into past memories,but noone can beat 'Father Time'.
Has Chuck earned the right to keep fighting,sure he has. Should he keep fighting,that remains to be seen. There are factors to this than just 'he's earned it' and hopefully they are the right factors.
If Chuck had beaten Shogun we would'nt be talking about his retirement or as much. If Dana truely is Chucks friend then I don't blame him not wanting Chuck to keep fighting,do u want to continue to see ur best friend get KO'd?
Matt is possibly in the same position as Chuck,though I have'nt heard Dana mention Matt needs to win or else talk. Matts lost 3/4 or something like that and if Chuck is supposedly Dana's best friend then he won't hesitate to axe Matt. We will see if that talk pops up if Matt loses,but seeings Matt has talked about retiring Dana is'nt gonna push that topic right now.
Randy was an interesting situation and the end results was'nt what Randy probably thought was gonna happen. It was a messy scenerio for all involved,but more so for Randy.
I know Dana has a hard job sometimes and sometimes his decision isn't the ideal choice that we would like it too be. Sometimes those choices are'nt what the fighters want or need to be. I think 'retiring' a friend is a hard thing to do even for Dana(well maybe),but a necessary thing sometimes.
I would like to see Dana/UFC treat the longterm fighters better and not hold some of these vicious grudges.Hopefully when Matt retires he will get the respect from Dana that he deserves. Matt,chuck,Randy,Pulver have been long term employees of the UFC/Zuffa and been for the most part very loyal to them. I hope that they treat them in kind for all their years of 'Blood,Sweat & Tears in the Octagon.
Old 04-27-2009, 04:15 PM
Crisco

It would be kind of Awesome if Matt retires after beating Serra

and Dana inducts Matt and Chuck into the HOF at UFC 100.

(I don't want Matt to retire but its gonna happen sooner or later... I know it's gay)
Old 04-27-2009, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisco
It would be kind of Awesome if Matt retires after beating Serra

and Dana inducts Matt and Chuck into the HOF at UFC 100.

(I don't want Matt to retire but its gonna happen sooner or later... I know it's gay)

That would be a nice touch at UFC to induct them.
Old 04-27-2009, 06:14 PM
Matt-4; GJJ Black Belts-0

I say required!
Old 04-27-2009, 07:52 PM
Allons-y

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiritwalker
I say required!
Agreed.
Old 04-27-2009, 09:53 PM
xSubmission

YES!...Hang it up in style please.
However its hard to retire from UFC with a belt around your waist.