Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > Training/Nutrition

Old 04-23-2009, 05:42 PM
xSubmission

Default Catabolic Foods

I found the paragraph Mr.Hughes wrote about catabolic foods very interesting. Also i had a look at the links he posted. I got alot of useful information from it. It's going to help me because i need to shed a few pounds for an upcomming tournament myself
Old 04-23-2009, 06:05 PM
I'm kind of a big deal

The point is to eat fibrous carbs. Fiber is a carbohydrate that isn't digested by the body, so when the body tries to break it down, it does spend extra energy trying to digest it, especially versus simple carbs which break down very easily. They're not "negative calories" as some sites like to say it, but they are definitely beneficial. 25g of fiber a day minimum helps clean the digestive system as well as decrease "bad" cholesterol, and even prevent many digestive diseases and disorders.

FYI, most Americans get only 10g of fiber a day. 1 cup of most beans will give you that
Old 04-23-2009, 06:20 PM
Crisco

Anyone have any good fiber tips? Beens trying to up my dossage but it's tough.
Old 04-23-2009, 06:29 PM
xSubmission

I have cut weight before but always the wrong way. Doing it all at the last minute and having it effect preformance. Im gonna try to do it gradually the right way this time.
Old 04-23-2009, 06:44 PM
I'm kind of a big deal

To be brief:

Most fresh fruits (apples, raspberries, apricot, etc.)
Most fresh vegetables (broccoli, artichoke, etc.)
Beans (any)
Grains (corn, brown rice, oats, etc.)
Nuts & seeds (peanuts, almonds, sunflower seeds, etc.)

This has some good variety:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/hig...-foods/NU00582
http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art49479.asp

As for breads, Mrs. Baird's makes some nice high-fiber breads. She has one bread called "Fiber Plus" that contains 6g of fiber per slice. Just 2 slices of toast with breakfast and 1 sandwich, you've easily gotten 24g of fiber

You'll see, it's very easy to get 25g of fiber each day. Just make sure each meal contains a nice, fibrous carb, and one of the healthy fats listed above.
Old 04-23-2009, 06:46 PM
I'm kind of a big deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by xSubmission
I have cut weight before but always the wrong way. Doing it all at the last minute and having it effect preformance. Im gonna try to do it gradually the right way this time.
You'll also find that doing it gradually helps keep it off. So many people want to drop 20 pounds in 3 weeks, yet, the put it back on immediately. Longer the cut, longer the weight stays off.

Ricky Hatton and Rampage Jackson are perfect examples of this - they balloon up after a fight because they have to drop so much weight so rapidly. If they would just stay in shape, or even, relatively good shape, all year-round, they wouldn't have the significant weight fluctuations.
Old 04-23-2009, 07:12 PM
xSubmission

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockdawg21
You'll also find that doing it gradually helps keep it off. So many people want to drop 20 pounds in 3 weeks, yet, the put it back on immediately. Longer the cut, longer the weight stays off.

Ricky Hatton and Rampage Jackson are perfect examples of this - they balloon up after a fight because they have to drop so much weight so rapidly. If they would just stay in shape, or even, relatively good shape, all year-round, they wouldn't have the significant weight fluctuations.
Thank you this is going to help so much...too bad i dont do my own grocery shopping
Old 04-23-2009, 07:17 PM
Crisco

Quote:
Originally Posted by xSubmission
Thank you this is going to help so much...too bad i dont do my own grocery shopping
You really are still a fetus huh?

Go with your mom dude. Shop with her.