Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > MMA

Old 04-17-2009, 11:18 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xSubmission
Boxers are boxers and ppl who train for MMA are fighters. My point being boxers need to stop calling themselves fighters. Of course a boxer would never want to make that transistion. I dont think i have even heard of any.

That is just plain stupid.

MMA is MMA and Boxing is Boxing, but they are both fighting sports. It is beyond me why so many MMA fans feel the need to bash boxers and boxing in general. Give it rest, it's lame. Anybody who does not respect the sport of Boxing or the skill involved to be a top ranked boxer is just ignorant.
Old 04-18-2009, 01:06 AM
I'm kind of a big deal

I love boxing, but for somebody, let's say BJ Penn, who Freddie Roach says is the best "boxer" in MMA wouldn't stand a chance against Manny Pacquaio in a boxing match. On the flipside, Pacquiao would get murdered by BJ Penn in a MMA match. The sports both require tremendous skill, but for a MMA fighter to think he has the skills to beat a top-level boxer at his own game is just ridiculous.

It's like when Mayweather Jr. was blasting UFC fighters and Dana offered him an open challenge against (don't remember whom exactly) not even one of the champions, of course Mayweather didn't take the offer - he's a jackass, but not stupid.
Old 04-18-2009, 06:00 AM
Jason 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockdawg21
I love boxing, but for somebody, let's say BJ Penn, who Freddie Roach says is the best "boxer" in MMA wouldn't stand a chance against Manny Pacquaio in a boxing match. On the flipside, Pacquiao would get murdered by BJ Penn in a MMA match. The sports both require tremendous skill, but for a MMA fighter to think he has the skills to beat a top-level boxer at his own game is just ridiculous.

It's like when Mayweather Jr. was blasting UFC fighters and Dana offered him an open challenge against (don't remember whom exactly) not even one of the champions, of course Mayweather didn't take the offer - he's a jackass, but not stupid.
it was Sean Sherk and he would have killed mayweather he is biger and has good enough headmovement to get in and get the take down and pound the piss out of him
Old 04-18-2009, 08:28 AM
WAR CARDINALS!

Before everybody jumps on the hate PBF bandwagon, it should be noted that Floyd is one of the most well liked and respected athletes that reside in Las Vegas. He is well known at gyms all over, and loved by both boxers and MMA fighters alike.

That being said, his comments were never made with real ill will towards the sport of MMA. He was on a nationwide tour hyping his fight with De La Hoya and he just went off on a soapbox. Stupid, yes. Intentional, no. In fact, Dana White and Floyd Mayweather had known each other well before that happened and Dana knows how PBF is. If anything, Dana was just using the media attention that Floyd's comments got to help build up more publicity for the UFC.

Oh, and Freddie Roach "says" a lot of things, but I don't agree that BJ Penn is the best pure boxer in MMA. It's not even really fair to try and judge someone's pure boxing ability by watching them fight MMA. Still, if I had to pick one guy, it would not be Penn.