Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Christianity

Old 04-10-2009, 11:28 PM
atomdanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCURamFan
Quick distinction to be made: are you talking about Macro- or Micro-evolution?
Micro.

But, I suppose macro as well. There are examples of animals evolving in just decades.
Old 04-10-2009, 11:33 PM
Allons-y

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomdanger
Micro.

But, I suppose macro as well. There are examples of animals evolving in just decades.
OK, well I 100% agree with Microevolution, as should any intelligent person.

Now, as for Macro: I have yet to hear of a brand new species evolving within a few decades. What are you referencing?
Old 04-10-2009, 11:37 PM
Hughes_GOAT

Quote:

Now, as for Macro: I have yet to hear of a brand new species evolving within a few decades. What are you referencing?
Fedor
Old 04-10-2009, 11:38 PM
Administrator

I've heard the testimony of scientists who started believing in a literal interpretation of the Biblical creation account because of their studies into Evolution. They studied the evidence and it pointed them directly to the Bible.

So, not all proponents of Intelligent Design start out as religious.

In fact, there is a common misconception that ID is just a repackaged form of Creationism, which is simply not true. Creationism starts with the Bible and looks for scientific ways to explain the events of the Bible. Intelligent Design is not married to any particular religion or theology. ID starts with the evidence and doesn't necessarily trace it's path back to the Bible, it just states that random chance is not sufficient to explain the complexity of the universe, thus there must have been some intelligence behind it's creation. Whether that intelligence is GOD or some highly advanced alien race, ID scientists don't necessarily try to draw any conclusions on the source of the intelligence.
Old 04-10-2009, 11:39 PM
atomdanger

Quote:
OK, well I 100% agree with Microevolution, as should any intelligent person.

No no, not evolving into an entirely new species.

I wasn't referencing that in micro evolution either.

I believe in evolution in this sense
"In biology, evolution is change in the genetic material of a population of organisms from one generation to the next."
Old 04-10-2009, 11:40 PM
atomdanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateR
I've heard the testimony of scientists who started believing in a literal interpretation of the Biblical creation account because of their studies into Evolution. They studied the evidence and it pointed them directly to the Bible.

So, not all proponents of Intelligent Design start out as religious.

In fact, there is a common misconception that ID is just a repackaged form of Creationism, which is simply not true. Creationism starts with the Bible and looks for scientific ways to explain the events of the Bible. Intelligent Design is not married to any particular religion or theology. ID starts with the evidence and doesn't necessarily trace it's path back to the Bible, it just states that random chance is not sufficient to explain the complexity of the universe, thus there must have been some intelligence behind it's creation. Whether that intelligence is GOD or some highly advanced alien race, ID scientists don't necessarily try to draw any conclusions on the source of the intelligence.

Good point, in fairness, those wonderful folks we call Scientologists would be ID believers right?

(don't they think Aliens came and gave us DNA?)
Old 04-10-2009, 11:47 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomdanger
Good point, in fairness, those wonderful folks we call Scientologists would be ID believers right?

(don't they think Aliens came and gave us DNA?)
I'm not really aware of the Scientologist teachings. I just know that most of the originators of Intelligent Design tend to be actual, qualified scientists, not science fiction writers.