Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Politics

Old 04-05-2009, 08:11 PM
SupaDupaMod

Send a message via Yahoo to Neezar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyburn
Ask yourself how it is in a country hit worse then any other western country in terms of financial hardship

how in two days the readers of a single national newspaper were able to give 77 Thousand in stirling to help some Soldier go to Normandy

AGAIN, this is a test of priorities...IF charities and the church giving is going down...dont blame Obama...blame the citizens who havent got their priorities right. IF Anything Barack has uncovered a problem with the citizens of America...that they are not willing to give when they dont get tax breaks...im sorry but you shouldnt just be giving what you might legitamately owe the state...to a church once in a while. SHAME on those who have not got their giving as a priority. Dont blame Obama because he's showing your nation to be greedy and not able to give without him giving you the money to do so!! tut, tut!
No. Before if you had an honorable intention and gave to charity then the government rewarded you with a tax break. NOW the government says they don't care even if you do the right thing, you are still paying them their cut.

AND...let's say you were going to give $10,000 to a charity. You could give the lump sum and move on. Now, you have to only give & $7,000 to charity and save the other $3,000* to pay taxes on it. So technically the government is now taking monies from the charities instead of giving. So Obama is not showing our nation to be greedy but our government.

*The taxes on charity money is probaly more than 30%. I just used that as an example.
Old 04-05-2009, 08:17 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neezar
You act like greedy people don't know any better. You can educate them all you want but that doesn't mean they won't still be greedy.

Lunacy.
Exactly.

I actually do agree with Dave on the credit card issue. In fact, the whole credit market is really just a modern form of slavery. Especially when people don't seem to know what their limits are. For those people who can handle credit responsibly, then there isn't a problem. However, those people who abuse credit and then just live the rest of their lives only being able to pay the minimum monthly payments, those people are essentially slaves to the banks and credit card companies.

I've stated this before, Dave just has a short memory.

However, when you combine this with raising taxes for ALL Americans (the "cap and trade" energy bill will be the biggest tax increase in American history and it will affect EVERYONE, not just those Obama defines as "rich"), then people are going to be so burdened with new taxes that they simply won't be able to give.

Finally, I highly doubt this will affect the tithing habits of loyal Christians. GOD has proven to many of us that, when we can't afford to give but give anyway, that's when GOD blesses our lives the most.

So, I don't believe this is going to shut down churches in America. However, it will severely hurt the secular charities like the Red Cross, Goodwill, etc.
Old 04-05-2009, 09:02 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
You act like greedy people don't know any better. You can educate them all you want but that doesn't mean they won't still be greedy.

Lunacy.
I think Greedy people have a lot of persuasion from banks and credit cards, and a lot of temptation presented to them. I think they lack the self control to avoid the latter and decline the former.

Are you saying Greedy people cant be educated into living within their needs
Old 04-05-2009, 09:02 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateR

I've stated this before, Dave just has a short memory.
more like Selective
Old 04-05-2009, 09:05 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
No. Before if you had an honorable intention and gave to charity then the government rewarded you with a tax break. NOW the government says they don't care even if you do the right thing, you are still paying them their cut.

AND...let's say you were going to give $10,000 to a charity. You could give the lump sum and move on. Now, you have to only give & $7,000 to charity and save the other $3,000* to pay taxes on it. So technically the government is now taking monies from the charities instead of giving. So Obama is not showing our nation to be greedy but our government.

*The taxes on charity money is probaly more than 30%. I just used that as an example.
he gave you tax breaks IF you gave money to charity...specifically...
Old 04-05-2009, 11:33 PM
SupaDupaMod

Send a message via Yahoo to Neezar

Quote:
Ask yourself how it is in a country hit worse then any other western country in terms of financial hardship

how in two days the readers of a single national newspaper were able to give 77 Thousand in stirling to help some Soldier go to Normandy

AGAIN, this is a test of priorities...IF charities and the church giving is going down...dont blame Obama...blame the citizens who havent got their priorities right. IF Anything Barack has uncovered a problem with the citizens of America...that they are not willing to give when they dont get tax breaks...im sorry but you shouldnt just be giving what you might legitamately owe the state...to a church once in a while. SHAME on those who have not got their giving as a priority. Dont blame Obama because he's showing your nation to be greedy and not able to give without him giving you the money to do so!! tut, tut!
:previous:

Quote:
he gave you tax breaks IF you gave money to charity...specifically...
Old 04-06-2009, 12:14 AM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
:previous:

No...I thought it was a case of when he gives you a tax break...for whatever reason...that you give the money you would have given to him, if not for the break...to a Charity.

I didnt realize he was giving you a tax break AFTER you give other monies to charity as a reward.

I've never heard of a Government that rewards its people for giving...I assumed you just gave what you saved when a tax cut came along
Old 04-06-2009, 12:23 AM
Administrator

Quote:
No...I thought it was a case of when he gives you a tax break...for whatever reason...that you give the money you would have given to him, if not for the break...to a Charity.

I didnt realize he was giving you a tax break AFTER you give other monies to charity as a reward.

I've never heard of a Government that rewards its people for giving...I assumed you just gave what you saved when a tax cut came along
No, if you donate $100 a month to a charity (religious or secular), then that would add up to $1200 over the course of the year. Meaning that, when they add up your wages at the end of the year and determine how much tax you owe on those wages, they will subtract $1200 from the taxes that you owe. So, if you owed $3000 in taxes that year, then you would only owe $1800. Hence, a "tax deduction."
Old 04-06-2009, 12:53 AM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateR
No, if you donate $100 a month to a charity (religious or secular), then that would add up to $1200 over the course of the year. Meaning that, when they add up your wages at the end of the year and determine how much tax you owe on those wages, they will subtract $1200 from the taxes that you owe. So, if you owed $3000 in taxes that year, then you would only owe $1800. Hence, a "tax deduction."
seriously

I've never heard anything like it before in my entire life.