Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > The Woodshed

Old 03-31-2009, 08:59 PM
CAVEMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradwright
hey,sorry about that,i was just about too answer that as you might recall, when someone was at the door,i said i would get back to you but i forgot,sorry about that,
well here go's,
do mutations with in a human gene always cause deformities you ask?
well here is your answer,
oh man,the phone is ringing,i'll have to get back to this later,sorry about that.
Smarta$$!
Old 03-31-2009, 09:09 PM
CAVEMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateR
Well, mscomc did give us an example of a mutation in the DNA that creates a resistance to HIV. However, it's sounded more like taking an existing segment of "unused" DNA, adjusting/mutating it, then relocating it to an active section of the DNA strand. It's more of a relocation/revision of information, but it does add additional base pairs to the strand, thus making the strand more complex. So beneficial information is being added to the DNA.

However, we see in real life that coming up with a cure or treatment for a disease is far from a random, chaotic process. It takes many, many people working towards very specific, clearly-defined goals, for years and years on end. There might be an element of luck to the process, but it's development and application cannot be successfully implemented by accident.

For example, penicillin might have been discovered by accident; but it required the intelligence of Alexander Fleming to understand it's antibiotic properties and to apply that to curing bacterial infections.

So the question is, how do these unthinking globs of molecules come up with a resistance to a disease, through random mixing and matching, when it's taken intelligent scientists years to even understand how HIV/AIDS truly works?

I think this kind of mutation is just more evidence of GOD working behind the scenes.
Thank you, Nate! A few months ago, I started reading the following book, which I need to finish, and remember the author saying that there has never been a mutation within a human gene that actually was for the betterment of the human. He said that mutations usually cause deformity or retardation. Downs syndrome for example. Check out link to book

http://normsplace.homestead.com/Ammunition.html
Old 03-31-2009, 09:20 PM
SupaDupaMod

Send a message via Yahoo to Neezar

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVEMAN
Thank you, Nate! A few months ago, I started reading the following book, which I need to finish, and remember the author saying that there has never been a mutation within a human gene that actually was for the betterment of the human. He said that mutations usually cause deformity or retardation. Downs syndrome for example. Check out link to book

http://normsplace.homestead.com/Ammunition.html
Well, the mutation he was talking about actually is a deformity or defect. The body's cell doesn't have the CCR5 receptor which is the only way that the HIV virus has of entering the cell. So, it is a defect that just happens to have a positive side effect.

I know that some people have been born with that defect but I have never heard of someone having the receptor and then something occuring in the DNA to stop producing it.