Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > The Woodshed

Old 03-29-2009, 10:08 PM
mscomc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Mamba
You shouldn't feel bad about it, it's science. I had to learn something pretty fast yesterday because my emotions at first, were starting to get to me when I was reading these cadevar's death certificates. That something was this: 1) these people donated their body to science 2) they are in a better place 3) they donated their body to science for a reason. We are not doing anything bad as scientists, all we are trying to do is better the world one step at time.

And as soon as I finish typing up my fly lab report I'll jump into some topics. I'm only in my second year and been exposed to the basics of chemistry and biology. So my knowledge isn't as deep as yours yet.

OOOO dont be soo tough on yourself...I can already tell, your aptitude is quite very high for the life sciences. THE FORCE IS STRONG WITH IN YOU!!! oooo man im such a geek
Old 03-29-2009, 10:24 PM
Black Mamba

Quote:
Originally Posted by mscomc
OOOO dont be soo tough on yourself...I can already tell, your aptitude is quite very high for the life sciences. THE FORCE IS STRONG WITH IN YOU!!! oooo man im such a geek
Awwww thank you. I will use that force to finish my report.
Old 03-30-2009, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Mamba
I'm sure there will be ways to make stem cells less controversial. I was reading in my school's newspaper, this one scientists who was able to make adult stem cells revert back to their embryonic stange. Now that is fascinating.

And I do understand the controversy behind embryonic stem cells, but the way I feel is why waste an aborted baby's life when it can be put to good use? It's a shame that the baby had to be aborted, but it can give so much life in return.
I agree with you Danelle.

I can see you and Malcom are going to have a lot in common to discuss given your fields of study. I've just been reading his thread in The Woodshed on evolution and him and Nathan are quite involved.

I'm trying to follow but my little brain is on overload with all those big scientific words. I did recognize a few: DNA, species, Darwin, ape...

As we used to tell my little nephew, I guess I'll just put my "listening" ears on and quietly observe the higher minds.

Last edited by Bonnie; 03-30-2009 at 07:43 AM.
Old 03-30-2009, 08:18 AM
que

what does the dead body smell like? does it smell like rotten chicken or beef or something else?

or could you not even smell the body because the embalming fluid smell overpowered it?

i use to be completely obsessed and fascinated with all that stuff. i even watched entire autopsy videos online but i'm sure it doesn't compare with actually being there and getting to hold everything and analyze it firsthand
Old 03-30-2009, 06:54 PM
Black Mamba

Quote:
Originally Posted by que
what does the dead body smell like? does it smell like rotten chicken or beef or something else?

or could you not even smell the body because the embalming fluid smell overpowered it?

i use to be completely obsessed and fascinated with all that stuff. i even watched entire autopsy videos online but i'm sure it doesn't compare with actually being there and getting to hold everything and analyze it firsthand
The initial scent is formeldahyde and any other embalming fluids they might use. But after awhile, to me it began to smell like rotten chicken or beef with still the chemical smell. Our body does have the consitency of pulled meat after awhile too.

I've watched some autospy shows on HBO and occasionally watched Dr. G on the discovery health channel. But you're right, it doesn't compare to being there to actually smelling, holding, feeling, and analyzing everything.
Old 03-30-2009, 07:25 PM
Miss Foxy

Quote:
Originally Posted by que

I think it smells like Hot Cheetos. Or at least the morgue does. I have not ate a Hot Cheeto in years!!