Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > The Woodshed

Old 03-26-2009, 01:17 PM
Chuck

Default My hard drive can't swim... can you help?

OK you geeky tech types this is your time to shine!!!

I need to recover some data off of a hard drive that got a little wet. And by little I do mean a little... A very small amount of water found it's way to my hard drive and shorted out the green circuit board. According to the folks at the Geek Squad all of my data is still there and the HD is mechanically sound... but due to the shorted out circuit board I just can't get to it. Is there a way to replace that board or bypass it somehow?

Anybody have any ideas???
Old 03-26-2009, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck

I need to recover some data off of a hard drive that got a little wet. And by little I do mean a little... A very small amount of water found it's way to my hard drive and shorted out the green circuit board. According to the folks at the Geek Squad all of my data is still there and the HD is mechanically sound... but due to the shorted out circuit board I just can't get to it. Is there a way to replace that board or bypass it somehow?

Yeah you just have to...ah, who am I kidding
I don't know nuttin'

[
Old 03-26-2009, 01:21 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck

You could take it back to Geek Squad and have them recover the information for you. Or they should be able to take out the hard disk and put it in another drive for you.

How much data are we talking about here?
Old 03-26-2009, 01:29 PM
Chuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateR
You could take it back to Geek Squad and have them recover the information for you. Or they should be able to take out the hard disk and put it in another drive for you.

How much data are we talking about here?
Not a lot... a few Gig maybe? I back up my laptop about 2x a month or so but I got a little lazy with it. It's mostly pictures and video of my son Christians first wrestling season. The rest of the data is either backed up or not that important to me.

The laptop is covered under warranty so I can send it away and have the HD replaced for free but they won't return the old dive. So I need to get the data off of it before I send it in.