Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > Announcements > Introductions

Old 01-22-2009, 01:47 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via Yahoo to Boomer
Default Forum members ... SOUND OFF!!

It was nice for new members to be able to go back and read about who it is they are posting with. Often I saw a new member have some nice dialog with one of the vets and the very next moment they were searching the "intro" section to learn a little bit about the person. Since they won't have that now .. all the vets tell a little bit about yourself in here!! SOUND OFF!!!

I'll start ... <clears throut>

Hi ... I'm Boomer. I was born in Illinois, raised in Texas and now live in Virginia. I'm 33 and have had a few careers in my short life. From 18 to 23 I worked in a church, then at 23 I joined the Marine Corps. I did one tour with the Corps, got out at 28 and landed a job working for the Federal Government. I've been to about 16 coutries in my life and love to travel and love watching both ametuer and professional MMA. As a matter of fact MMA is the only sport I have ever loved.

I saw UFC 52 live and became an instant Matt fan .... the more I found out about him, the more I liked the the guy and over the course of the past few years he's become a pretty good buddy. Actually I got a few good buddies from this site. ;)

Last edited by Boomer; 03-29-2009 at 09:42 AM.
Old 01-22-2009, 02:33 AM
Max

Hi Im Max and Im the biggest BJ Penn fan on the site (next to Dave of corse ) ummmmmm what else.......I live in Virginia and go to ODU. Before going to ODU I worked at a bank for 3 years. I can be kind of an @$$ at times, mostly when arguing with Dave. Did I mention Im a huge BJ Penn fan.

Oh and Im also the 16 time defending Matt-Hughes.com forum champion
Old 01-22-2009, 02:35 AM
mikthehick

I'll try to make this short....I actually joined the old MH forums over a year ago...anyway, my name is Kim, mik is my name backwards, and I was born in North Carolina, where apparently redneck jokes were born...yea ya get the idea...anyway....

Grew up on Marine Corp bases, which makes me 100% USDA-grade military brat, I love to shoot my BB Gun, ride and train horses, read, hang out on the beaches of my home state, bake, and watch MMA. My friend got me into MMA a few years ago, with, you guessed it, Matt Hughes, and now I'm training at a gym in Charlottesville, VA.

How did I end up there?

Well, went to UVA, hated it, then I got saved, joined a church, and ended up staying. And 3 jobs, 3 years, and a hop and a skip later, I'm still here, now pursuing a Master's degree in counseling, working full time, training MMA, walking my doggies, and riding horses when I can. I also plan to travel a ton this year. Msge me if ya wanna know anything else, but that covers it all. I look forward to meeting the newbies
Old 01-22-2009, 02:51 AM
chum567

hello....my name is stephanie and i go to troy university here in alabama.....i played sports my whole life and i enjoy doing outdoors type things...i also love music and movies and just having a good time....i love auburn football and braves baseball and of course matt hughes
Old 01-22-2009, 03:00 AM
Matt-4; GJJ Black Belts-0

Spiritwalker here..

41 years old.. been an active poster for well over a year.. looking at 18 months?? something like that..

I watched UFC 2 in my home town of Charlotte. I was able to see Royce Gracie/Kimo.. it was awesome..Kimo had his top knot torn out.. people were booing like crazy cause the vast number of people didn't know anything about a ground game.. It was a mix of people wanting to see a pro wrestling match or a Wire Foo fight.

I am currently a brown belt in Karate.
Areas of indepth study and training -Kata and Bunkai, Kyusho Jutsu, Qigong

Blue Belt in ShuriTe JiuJutsu, and a lever 4 Balintawak sitck fighter... I play around in BJJ and am not bad.. but it's not "fun"..

Matt is nothing but a great person, fantastic fighter.. and one of the few people that I wouldn't mind my son looking up to.

While I don't always have the religious aspect that some of the more staunch Christians here have, I do view myself as a Christian. Matt Hughes.. says what he thinks and practice what he says.

How can you not admire that.
Old 01-22-2009, 03:09 AM

Hi, My name is Mark and I'm not quite a vet and not quite a newbie. I am a HUGE MMA fan, and a big Matt Hughes fan. This forum has only strenghtened my fandom for the Mr. Hughes. I've gotten to meet several forum members and let me tell you that you won't find a stronger, more supportive group. We fight like family and we lift eachother up like family.
I was born and raised on a grain farm in Indiana and now live in Queens New York with my wife of 5 years.
WELCOME, NEW FRIENDS
Old 01-22-2009, 03:33 AM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan

I'm Ben. I'm 22 & go to Virginia Commonwealth University here in beautiful Richmond, VA. I've been a fan of Matt's sinec TUF 2 & been on the forums since July 6th, 2006.
Old 01-22-2009, 03:35 AM
SupaDupaMod

Send a message via Yahoo to Neezar

I'm Neezar and I'm a Matt-a-holic.
Old 01-22-2009, 03:50 AM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neezar
I'm Neezar and I'm a Matt-a-holic.
Hi Neezar
Old 01-22-2009, 05:42 AM
gymcoach97

Hey folks, I'm Chris, 30 (soon-to-be 31), and I presently reside in Indiana. However, I was born in Illinois and spent all of my life there until the age of 18. Since then I think that my forwarding addresses have started to get close to equaling my age - ha ha. I've spent some time in Texas, Ohio, Wisconsin, Missouri, Pennsylvania, and now Indiana and of course, Illinois.

I studied physical education (kinesiology) at Illinois State University and ended up going back for a master's in the same area. Presently, I'm at Ball State University working on a second master's in biomechanics, specifically. Kinesiology is an "umbrella" term for "movement science" and a more specialized field like biomechanics would fall under the umbrella as a sub-discipline if anyone is curious.

In and around school, I've spent the past 11+ years coaching competitive gymnastics. While not a gymnast myself, I got interested and learned the sport. That's sort of how my interest grew in biomechanics - I needed to better understand how to apply physics to the human body. While I have the knowledge in how to teach flips and such, my interest has shifted more towards training and understanding functional anatomy and how the muscles and nervous system interact. So, basically, I spend A LOT of time studying strength and conditioning aspects and trying to develop a sound philosophy of how to train for optimal performance.

I watched my first UFC event way back in 1997 - UFC 9 on video. I thought the sport was brutal and barbaric. Little guys vs. Big guys. No rules. So, I never watched it again. Then, in 2005, I was away at a competition hanging out in the hotel bar with some fellow coaches and there were some UFC fights on the Best Damn Sports Show. They caught my interest at that moment, but after that I really didn't pay anymore attention. Then, in early 2006, I was flipping through channels and caught them on Spike and just started watching from that point on. I really love the strategy of the fights. I don't like watching two people hurt each other. I enjoy watching striker v. grappler...who's going to neutralize whom? What are the gameplans?

I really got interested in Matt Hughes when the hype began for the Royce Gracie fight. Prior to that, I really had no clue who Matt Hughes was. Once I found out that he was from Illinois, I was an instant fan. Then, I went on the internet and found this site and saw pictures and video from the mission trip. It was truly Matt's humble demeanor that won me over. Despite all he's accomplished and/or has, he remains a regular guy who can still put in an honest day's work. That's what I respect most.

I lurked the forums for quite a while and finally joined the night of the GSP loss (1st fight). Like many, I was crushed. So, I joined and sent my well wishes like so many others that night.

I first met a few folks at UFC 77 last fall and then met many more at the grand opening of the HIT Squad. I can say nothing but good things about everyone that I've met thus far. Everyone is so embracing and it's just like being with around people that you've known for years even if you've just met them.

Well, that's me.