Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > The Woodshed

Old 03-19-2009, 06:44 PM
Miss Foxy

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyburn
Barack Obama has agreed to personally attend the D-Day Celebrations.

Barack Obama is set to shame Gordon Brown by attending the 65th anniversary of the Normandy landings, it has been revealed.

Expectation was high in France today that the American President has accepted an invitation to be in Normandy to mark the crucially important anniversary - a date the British government has chosen to ignore.
Kudos to President Obama... Ok guys come on no need to make faces at me hahah!!
Old 03-19-2009, 06:45 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Elysee Palace sources confirmed they were ‘very confident’ of seeing the American head of state in France, along with senior politicians including President Nicolas Sarkozy.
Even representatives of Germany will be making the trip from Berlin.
However, as revealed by the Daily Mail, the British Government has shamefully decided to ignore the event, with no plans for ministers or the Royal Family to attend.
Now a huge wave of support is gathering for D-Day veterans desperate to attend the 65th anniversary of the Normandy landings.

So...the Germans are marking it and NOT the British
Old 03-19-2009, 06:50 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

The Ministry of Defence has rejected requests for financial aid to survivors and says there will be no further official commemoration of D-Day until its centenary - when all those involved will be dead.
To compound the farce, the American and Canadian governments are sending top-level delegations to mark the momentous date.
Even the Germans will join the commemorations and remember the fallen on both sides.
Today, the Mail launches a campaign to honour and support the 500 remaining veterans' cause. A lunchtime reception to mark the 60th anniversary of the Battle of Normandy takes place in the Guildhall, London, in October 2004. It followed a service held inside St Paul's Cathedral
We are inviting readers to help pay the costs of those who want to make one last pilgrimage to the battlefields where they helped change the course of history, and where so many of their friends died for the cause of freedom.
Every pound donated will help increase the chances of the veterans and their carers being there on June 6.
During the 60th anniversary events in 2004, the Queen and Prime Minister were among world leaders who gathered in Normandy and 1,200 British veterans marched proudly at the main commemorative event.
Many had received lottery grants of several hundred pounds as part of the Heroes' Return programme to help them visit battlefields all over the world. But this time there is no such support.
The Normandy Veterans' Association - which is to disband this year because its remaining members are mostly too frail to support events - approached the MoD for help last year, but was told no money was available.
Officials have even blocked the pensioners' plans for an official service of remembrance and thanksgiving at Westminster Abbey this summer. (I'm going to write to Canon Winkett at Saint Paul's about this, because it makes me VERY angry indeed )

This is on the bureaucratic grounds that the MoD supports official events only for 25th, 50th, 60th and 100th anniversaries.

The total cost of all the British veterans and their carers - the youngest are well into their 80s - travelling to the event is expected to be around £500,000, some of which has already been raised by members of the association rattling tins outside supermarkets.
Iraq war hero Col Tim Collins, who led the 1st Battalion Royal Irish Regiment during the 2003 invasion and became famous for his stirring eve-of-battle speech, said: 'If it was a minority religious or ethnic group I imagine they would have had Government support long ago.
‘But British servicemen and women don't really appeal to Labour ministers.'
Tory defence spokesman Dr Liam Fox said: 'It is a strange set of priorities for a government that it can spend £16billion on a VAT cut, but is unwilling to help and honour its veterans.'
Conservative MP Patrick Mercer, a former Army commander, said: 'I'm very glad that we didn't choose to stay away from Normandy in 1944, like the Government is doing now. If we had chosen to not invade Normandy, we would have a Fuhrer now rather than a Queen.' Major General Patrick Cordingley, who led Allied troops into Iraq during the First Gulf War, said: 'It's completely disgusting that ministers are ignoring this anniversary.
'This year is important as it's the last official trip that will be taken by the Normandy Veterans' Association. The Government should be pumping in money and effort.'
Military historian Correlli Barnett said: 'This is absolutely disgraceful and I hope that David Cameron and Nick Clegg turn up to the event to promote Britain and show up the Government.'
Falklands hero Simon Weston said: 'The government have committed billions saving the banks, so why can't they help the few remaining veterans travel to Normandy?'
Old 03-20-2009, 01:53 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Default Thank You for your help!

Major News People.

Gordon Brown led a remarkable Labour U-turn yesterday over the 65th anniversary of the D-Day landings this summer.
The Prime Minister indicated he would be happy to attend a commemoration ceremony in Normandy on June 6.
At the same time, the Ministry of Defence, which has consistently refused to give any assistance to veterans who want to travel to France, agreed to hold new talks with their leaders.

Mr Brown's move came hours after reports that President Barack Obama will represent the U.S. at the major international gathering.

The Prime Minister's spokesman said: 'If it were decided by the organisers that heads of government should be there, then the Prime Minister would be very pleased to be there.
'From our point of view, there is no question about the British Government's commitment to veterans and participation in this event.'

Downing Street had come under mounting pressure during a triumphant first day for the Daily Mail's D-Day 65 campaign.

It sparked an astonishing response from readers, celebrities, politicians and senior military figures.
They backed our calls for support for the dwindling number of British veterans who want to join one last commemoration.

Within hours, readers had donated thousands of pounds to the Normandy Veterans Association, which is attempting to raise £500,000 for the 500 veterans who are still fit enough to travel.

The Ministry of Defence also went into retreat. Veterans minister Kevan Jones told the Mail he would meet leaders of the association next week to 'see what help and support we can offer'.
Until now, the MoD has taken refuge behind its policy of giving official backing only to the 25th, 50th, 60th and 100th anniversaries of major military events.
It insisted the 65th anniversary of the historic D-Day landings was not sufficiently important for ministers to attend and had rejected approaches to help the veterans since the association's first attempt last October.

Yesterday, Mr Jones also promised to look sympathetically at requests for other imminent 65th anniversaries - including Arnhem, VE Day and VJ Day.
At Buckingham Palace, senior officials expressed 'surprise' that no member of the Royal Family had been invited to the D-Day commemoration.

Insiders indicated that senior Royals would be 'very interested' in attending, but protocol rules meant this would depend on receiving an invitation from the British government

After one day of this campaign it appears the British Government is about to crumble to public opinion

As one guy wrote, if Grimsby Town Football Club can shuttle 500 fans around the country for free...how come the Government cant get 500 soldiers to the French Coast

They are Cracking

In my mind it doesnt matter if the make a full reversal...their TRUE feelings on the matter have been made clear, and they wont be fooling the Officers if they change their mind due to shame of their populas.

The government will provide support for veterans who want to mark the 65th anniversary of the D-Day landings in Normandy this year, the Ministry of Defence said today.

The MoD said it would make sure there was "appropriate British attendance" and "provide support so that veterans can participate", but it did not say what form this support it would take.

Last year, Kevan Jones, the veterans minister, said it was a "long-standing policy" to use public money only for landmark anniversaries 25, 50, 60 and 100 years after major events.

Today, a MoD spokesman said: "There is no question of the government's commitment to veterans and to full participation in an international commemoration of D-Day."

It is understood that Jones will meet members of the Normandy Veterans Association next week to discuss the issue.

The Normandy landings on 6 June 1944 saw thousands of Allied troops pour onto the beaches of occupied France and marked a strategic turning point in the war against Hitler's Germany.

The MoD spokesman added: "The government will make sure that there is appropriate British attendance, including ministerial representation, and will provide support so that veterans can participate.

"There is a significant British armed forces presence in Normandy every June and there will be again this year, including current members of units which fought on D-Day who will stand alongside veterans at wreath-laying ceremonies."

But in a Commons written answer last November to former shadow home secretary David Davis, Jones said: "I recognise the understandable desire of Normandy veterans to return to the beachheads each year.

"However the Ministry of Defence regularly receives requests from various different veterans' organisations seeking financial or other support for pilgrimages and events to commemorate the campaigns in which they took part.

"The vast majority are similarly worthy and could make an equally compelling case as the Normandy veterans, but it would be inappropriate to provide official support for one and not the others.

"This long-standing policy of successive governments was established after very careful consideration and its consistent application over the years has ensured a fairness and equality of treatment for everyone concerned.

"Consequently, there are no plans for the department to assist veterans returning to Normandy for the 65th anniversary of the landings in 2009."

Earlier this month, more than 300 people signed a petition on the Downing Street website which urged Gordon Brown "to give funding to those war veterans wishing to attend the 65th D-Day anniversary in Normandy".
Old 03-20-2009, 02:08 PM
Crisco

I use to think the UK was great but the more I learn about them and hear about their government dealings it makes me sick...

No wonder there is no patriotism there... Anarchists by the 1000's...

Your government is weak and cow-tows to muslim and minority groups but to hell with your veterans.

Really... It makes me sick just listening to it.

I'll pray for them because that's the only thing that can stop me from hate.

War Dave for moving to the States and becoming an American.
Old 03-20-2009, 02:11 PM
Crisco

Also on a side note...

War Israel for solidifying its place as my second favorite country.

I love wearing my I.D.F shirt around.
Old 03-20-2009, 02:46 PM
I'm kind of a big deal

I'm surprised we haven't heard Obama coming out to praise the decision.

That's just a horrible way to treat those people.
Old 03-20-2009, 07:50 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockdawg21
I'm surprised we haven't heard Obama coming out to praise the decision.

That's just a horrible way to treat those people.
Why would he praise the Decision?

I dont think anyone is fooled by the Governmental U-Tern. English people shouldnt need to Go International to get support for its own Military to visit another country on the eve of a War Memorial.

They might have caved to pressure, but that doesnt mean they have suddenly started to care...Far from it. They are going because Barack Obama is going...! The U.S President will know this. He's not that stupid...why would he be impressed by fickle minded allies who need him to go, in order to make an appearence themselves??

No...We havent asked the Government to do anything they shouldnt have been doing without question in the first place. They might change their position, but thats not good enough...the fact they werent going to do it as rote, will be enough for me to not just cast my usual Lib Dem vote...but I will Vote Torry in the next ellection probably now. This country needs to be free of the Labour Government for a good long time...we can now see clearly how far they have slipped...you cant make that up to an 80 year old soldier who lost all his comrades in a war that has led to these politicians being able to take power, a direct consequence...you cant make that up by changing your mind because the public dissagree with you, and because the Americans are horrified and want to shame you.

The damage is done, and it sticks...its time for a General Ellection. Its High time that Gordon Brown, New Labour, and Tony Blairs Legacy were permanently removed from Office.

The Normandy Veterans should not be thanking the Government, because the Government has dont nothing of its own free voilition. Niether love, nor duty. Its motivation is two fold.

First, trying to raise its own profile, by trying to be successful by association with the new American President (what he does, we copy, where he goes, we visit, when they love him, they see us also, it rubs off....its vulgar, and its disgusting) Firstly, we are not a State, there is something vastly wrong with a Government that tries to use a foreign power to boost morale and its own perception. Secondly, we are English, we are well capable of managing ourselves, we should not be bowing before a foreign power, or clamouring to its every whim, neither should we be overtly dependant on it for support. Thirdly, you dont win the respect of Americans that way. In a culture that values confidence, they wont be impressed by a show of weak mindedness, or a fickle persona. They dont need someone to try and buy their friendship, they dont want someone to "use" them, for their own political hopes and morale. They strongly dislike people who have no substantial opinion, or people who just go along with the crowd...and most of all they dispise those who have no sense of patriotism...They would expect Britian to take pride in herself, not to play buttbarnical with them....and the most meaningful way for an American to show that he is patriotic is to praise the armed forces.

The British Government has managed to do everything to make an American cringe...They have neglected their troops, they have ignored the wishes of their people, they are unellected party, they refuse to attend a memorial for a key point in their History, they dont fly their flag, they are "useing" the Americans to try and be nationally popular, they are weak....its enough to make a Conservative American puke
Old 03-20-2009, 07:51 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisco

War Dave for moving to the States and becoming an American.

We have no real sense of national identity
Old 03-20-2009, 10:23 PM
I'm kind of a big deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyburn
Why would he praise the Decision?
Because Obama is a hippie.