Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > The Woodshed

Old 07-05-2014, 02:31 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Default Le Tour De France...In England.....

Le Tour De France is the largest Cycling championship in the world...but each year its first few stages begin in a different country...this year the Le Grande Depart begins in Leeds!!!

They cycle out to Harewood House (half way twix Leeds and Harrogate) where the race begins...then they travel West, below Harrogate, through Skipton and Otley, before turning north and crossing the Dales...then they go south and sweep to the finishing line of the first stage....which is at the Cenotaph in Harrogate

Yep....in about thirty mins those cyclists will pass up Ripon road....right next to the Estate I live on!!!!

Then tomorrow they start in York, and go to sheffield via Harrogate again! they pass through Knaresborough come into the centre of town, then go down Skipton road, and along the other side of my Estate

There are billions of people....soooo im watching it on TV...with plenty of munchies
Old 07-06-2014, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyburn View Post
Le Tour De France is the largest Cycling championship in the world...but each year its first few stages begin in a different country...this year the Le Grande Depart begins in Leeds!!!

They cycle out to Harewood House (half way twix Leeds and Harrogate) where the race begins...then they travel West, below Harrogate, through Skipton and Otley, before turning north and crossing the Dales...then they go south and sweep to the finishing line of the first stage....which is at the Cenotaph in Harrogate

Yep....in about thirty mins those cyclists will pass up Ripon road....right next to the Estate I live on!!!!

Then tomorrow they start in York, and go to sheffield via Harrogate again! they pass through Knaresborough come into the centre of town, then go down Skipton road, and along the other side of my Estate

There are billions of people....soooo im watching it on TV...with plenty of munchies
How exciting, Dave!
Old 07-06-2014, 12:14 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie View Post
How exciting, Dave!
I watched in Yesterday, the Bikers left Leeds, Cycled to Harewood, then did a trip round the dales before arriving in Harrogate...they passed Ripon Road, and journeyed to the centre of town, near Bettys cafe and the cenotaph...Ripon road boarders my Estate to the East.

Our main rider, Mark Cavendish was favourite to win the race...He crashed...Outside Debenhams within sight of the finish line He's hurt himself in the fall so badly, he is out of the entire 21 day tour! The collective gasp of the towns inhabitants on the stray was so loud you could hear the cry a mile away in Jennyfields

Today they came into Knaresborough, then through starbeck and turned down Skipton road, and down new park hill...this is the one mile route I take to get from Jennyfields to Work every single day on foot.

Want to know something ghastly?

Once the cyclists reached the new park roundabout they continued along the north side of my estate, within sight of Markenfield on the hill....The coverage on ITV decided to go for a comercial break right when the cyclists hit New park.

I never saw them pass within sight distance of my house on TV...I had to run to the private parking outside the back of my house...and stare through the ginnel to see the heads of the cyclists wizz by

Last edited by Tyburn; 07-06-2014 at 12:20 PM.
Old 07-06-2014, 12:19 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Now they head off to the North Yorkshire Moors...they go to blubberhouses...but not dacre banks or pately bridge coz they head to the outskirts of manchester which is not in yorkshire, but in Lancashire...they are doing that of course because of the war of the roses....Yorkshires White Rose and Lancashires Red Rose...the Tudors (whilst Lancastrian) combined the red and white roses to create the Tudor Rose...but technically speaking, whilst Yorkshire became the most powerful...The Patriarchal line of the Tudors...is Lancastrian...soooo Le Tour of Yorkshire wouldnt be right without skirting a major centre in Lancashire!

After passing manchester they re-enter Yorkshire and end in Sheffield where my best friend Martin Brown lives.

Then tomorrow, Le Tour starts in cambridge and ends in London for Stage Three...after that it goes back to France (where arguably, it should always have been )
Old 07-06-2014, 04:24 PM

Quote:
I watched in Yesterday, the Bikers left Leeds, Cycled to Harewood, then did a trip round the dales before arriving in Harrogate...they passed Ripon Road, and journeyed to the centre of town, near Bettys cafe and the cenotaph...Ripon road boarders my Estate to the East.

Our main rider, Mark Cavendish was favourite to win the race...He crashed...Outside Debenhams within sight of the finish line He's hurt himself in the fall so badly, he is out of the entire 21 day tour! The collective gasp of the towns inhabitants on the stray was so loud you could hear the cry a mile away in Jennyfields

Today they came into Knaresborough, then through starbeck and turned down Skipton road, and down new park hill...this is the one mile route I take to get from Jennyfields to Work every single day on foot.
How awful! Did they say what his injuries were? He must be reliving that moment knowing how close he was to the finish and winning that leg...and now not to be able to continue on with the race!

Quote:
Want to know something ghastly?

Once the cyclists reached the new park roundabout they continued along the north side of my estate, within sight of Markenfield on the hill....The coverage on ITV decided to go for a comercial break right when the cyclists hit New park.

I never saw them pass within sight distance of my house on TV...I had to run to the private parking outside the back of my house...and stare through the ginnel to see the heads of the cyclists wizz by
Oh no what lousy timing! But I'm glad you had enough time to run and catch a glimpse of them as they rode past.

Last edited by Bonnie; 07-06-2014 at 04:33 PM.
Old 07-06-2014, 06:22 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie View Post
1) How awful! Did they say what his injuries were? He must be reliving that moment knowing how close he was to the finish and winning that leg...and now not to be able to continue on with the race!

2) Oh no what lousy timing! But I'm glad you had enough time to run and catch a glimpse of them as they rode past.
1) He was rushed to Harrogate District Hospital as soon as he crossed the finish line. He made no mention, no interview. His team mates were, subdued...most of them were still on Ripon road when it happened...they didnt see the accident first hand...and knew less then the public.

The commentators said they thought he had either broken his arm or his shoulder...he looked like he was in tears certainly. Both of the other riders that were brought down in his crash continued to compete today.

This morning he traveled to Eboracum with the rest of the team...before doing an interview to tell people he was sorry he fell, and sorry if the other two people who fell were hurt. He said he had torn ligaments in his shoulder, and it had originally been dislocated. Then they took him back to Hospital (Probably leeds coz its a bigger hostpital)

2) the commentators didnt have a clue...they kept telling people that Starbeck was the outskirts of Knaresborough...and that the tour was passing around Harrogate, despite going through the two largest residential estates in the town

I was like OMG...when they went for a break....and I RAN through the back Garden, past my aviary, down the little path and into the car park...from there the cutting gives views of Skipton road...I got there in time to see the heads whiz by through the lacking crowd
Old 07-07-2014, 02:41 PM

i was watching a portion of this on tv yesterday ... lotsa stuff going on in england yesterday .. the tour, the british grand prix (go lewis!) and wimbledon (was sad to see fed lose) ...

pretty cool that it was so close to your place ... its would be awesome to be there for even a portion ... then again, i said that about a ufc event and its been 10 minutes away from me a few times .. hahaha
Old 07-07-2014, 11:18 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rearnakedchoke View Post
i was watching a portion of this on tv yesterday ... lotsa stuff going on in england yesterday .. the tour, the british grand prix (go lewis!) and wimbledon (was sad to see fed lose) ...

pretty cool that it was so close to your place ... its would be awesome to be there for even a portion ... then again, i said that about a ufc event and its been 10 minutes away from me a few times .. hahaha
yes...and the world cup was on in Brazil also....verra exciting time in sport.

Now the Tour goes back to the continent