Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > The Woodshed

Old 04-08-2014, 08:53 PM
SupaDupaMod

Send a message via Yahoo to Neezar
Default Upset over Easter flier from school

Muslims up in arms at school flier that touts Easter egg roll

Muslim parents in Michigan are up in arms at a flier distributed by a local school district promoting an Easter egg roll, saying the ad for the event violates the separation of church and state standard.

Easter is a Christian-based holiday that remembers the rising of Jesus Christ from the grave. Easter as celebrated by eggs and the Easter Bunny, however, has no relation to the religious or biblical story of Jesus — and is secular in nature.

Still, some Muslim parents with children in the Dearborn Public Schools system were still upset by the “Eggstravaganza!” fliers that were distributed among students because they advertised the event as taking place at a local church, United Press International reported.

“It really bothered my two kids,” one Muslim parent, Majed Moughni, told the Detroit Free Press. “My son was like, ‘Dad, I really don’t feel comfortable getting these fliers, telling me to go to church. I thought churches are not supposed to mix with schools.’ “

The event is set for Cherry Hill Presbyterian Church and is billed as an egg hunt, a relay race and an egg toss.

“it’s designed to be an opportunity to invite the community to come for a day of activity,” said Cherry Hill Pastor Neeta Nichols, UPI reported. “There is not a religious component to this event. Part of our ministry in Dearborn is to invite the community to let them know we’re here. We’re offering various kinds of programming, fun opportunities, so that we can be engaged with the community.”

The Detroit Free Press reported that Muslim parents see the flier as a backdoor attempt to convert their children to Christianity. And they’ve received some support from the Americans United for Separation of Church and States.

“It would be one thing if this were an Easter egg hunt in an otherwise secular setting,” said Greg Lipper, with the group, in UPI. “But this invitation was for an Easter egg hunt at a Christian church — and so the event has much clearer religious connotations. Context matters.”

Read more: http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...#ixzz2yKXQxhFc
Follow us: @washtimes on Twitter
Old 04-08-2014, 08:54 PM
SupaDupaMod

We get fliers through the school on Easter egg hunts every year.
Old 04-09-2014, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neezar View Post
We get fliers through the school on Easter egg hunts every year.
doesn't make it right ... if its a public school, they should not be holding events that are even remotely related to any religions
Old 04-09-2014, 03:42 PM

I think RNC just might be a Muslim....not that's there's anything wrong with that.
Old 04-09-2014, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradW View Post
I think RNC just might be a Muslim....not that's there's anything wrong with that.
nope .. just that publicly funded schools shouldn't have any religion in them ... i was raised catholic and went to a catholic school here in canada ... in ontario .. recently there was a case where a parent who was non catholic and who's child was in a catholic school ... that parent didn't want their child being taught religion .. school fought it and lost ... and i agree with the outcome, because the catholic school board here is funded by the gov't ... so they are fair game ...
Old 04-09-2014, 07:38 PM
SupaDupaMod

The school isn't holding the event. Just passing out invitations to the event which is held at the church.
Old 04-10-2014, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neezar View Post
The school isn't holding the event. Just passing out invitations to the event which is held at the church.
still .. if every religion were able to promote their events through the school, i am sure it would cause an uproar ... if the local mosque handed out fliers about a ramadan event at a local mosque, i am sure some people would be equally upset
Old 04-11-2014, 05:19 AM
Stump Rules!

Oh my GOD kid, suck it up! Those Christians are not out you "get you"!

http://stumpdotcom.com/
Old 04-11-2014, 12:00 PM
SupaDupaMod

When I get an invitation that I don't want, I throw it in the trash and forget about it. It's the American way.
Old 04-11-2014, 12:04 PM
SupaDupaMod

They school teaches my kids about Darwin's theory evolution in school. And they pretty much teach it as fact, not theory. I may not believe in that but I don't get all butt hurt about it. I teach them that it is one theory and also teach them the alternative.

Last edited by Neezar; 04-11-2014 at 12:10 PM.