Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 02-23-2014, 04:00 PM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan
Default Cris Cyborg plans to drop to 135 pounds, 'retire' Ronda Rousey by end of year

From MMAFighting.com (By MMA Fighting Newswire on Feb 22 2014, 12:24a):
Quote:
Before Ronda Rousey enters the Octagon on Saturday night, her rival Cris Cyborg had some strong words for the UFC women's bantamweight champion. In a prepared statement to 'Inside MMA' on Friday, Cyborg vowed to defeat her by the end of the year.

Here is the full statement below:
Quote:
In reference to Rondaís statement that I am looking for a payday so that I can retire, youíre right, I am looking for a payday to retire you like I did Gina Carano. But to show itís not only about money, I challenge you to a fight Ė winner takes all. Or better yet letís fight for FREE. ANYTIME! ANYWHERE! Ask your daddy Dana to make it happen. My English is not that great, so sorry if I was misunderstood. I didnít literally mean I would die if I made 135. What I meant was that my doctor recommended that I did not fight the rest of my career at 135, which is what the UFC wanted.

You have fought 154 in the Olympics and 145 in MMA. You can meet me at 140 easier than for me to go down to 135. The only reason you want the fight at 135 is because you feel that is your only chance because you hope the weight cut will affect me. You guys say Iím irrelevant, yet watch my highlights. The true MMA fans not only know me, but know Iím the best. Sad that you give the true MMA fans no recognition by saying that they donít matter.

Iím currently training to fight at 145 on March 28 and in early May. My team has hired a medical doctor to help me make 135. I plan to challenge and win the Invicta 135 Championship in the summer and challenge you, champion to champion, for your 135 belt in December.

Now I know critics will say "I thought you said you would die if you made 135." All Iím promising is that I will give 100 percent to try to get to 135 to make this plan happen. If I do, I will still listen to my doctorís advice and fight no more than three times at 135: first to win the Invicta belt, the second time to kick your ass and the third time to kick your ass again so that the world can see it wasnít luck. You can even have me tested every week up to the fight. That way you will not have an excuse after I kick your ass.
Old 02-23-2014, 04:15 PM

I hope this fight happens.
Old 02-23-2014, 07:46 PM
Student of the Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by F34R View Post
I hope this fight happens.
I think it does....especially if this PPV and the next one Ronda headlines does bad. McMann was the last real threat. Cat may be have a shot, but with over a year off and numerous issues with the ACL and death of her husband, I am just not seeing her beating Ronda.

I went to the bar to watch the fight last night, many people that normally buy PPVs did not last night, which is why I think the Rousey fights are starting to lose their luster. Her vs Cyborg is the only real fight that the fans want to see.
Old 02-24-2014, 03:33 AM

I'd also like Gina to come back and fight her too.
Old 02-24-2014, 12:12 PM

i'd like to see this fight .. closer than a lot of people think .. ronda can def take her down and armbar her ... should be good .... and a lot of people are complaining about the stoppage .... sure, hindsight is always better, but herb has to make that call in a split second ... sarah dropped and was holding her side ... good stoppage imo ... ooops, I guess I should spoiler this ..
Old 02-24-2014, 04:15 PM
Student of the Sport

What kinda drives me nuts is that Dana wants her to cut down and fight several times and then he will see. He also said that Cyborg would not cut to the front of the line to fight Ronda, which is complete BS. That is EXACTLY what Ronda did to get the title in Strikeforce. She was set to fight at 145 for Cyborg's title only to talk her way into a fight with Tate in a division she never fought in.

Oh yeah, forgot, this is Dana's girl.
Old 02-25-2014, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevint13 View Post
What kinda drives me nuts is that Dana wants her to cut down and fight several times and then he will see. He also said that Cyborg would not cut to the front of the line to fight Ronda, which is complete BS. That is EXACTLY what Ronda did to get the title in Strikeforce. She was set to fight at 145 for Cyborg's title only to talk her way into a fight with Tate in a division she never fought in.

Oh yeah, forgot, this is Dana's girl.
I read that too, Kevin, about what Dana said regarding Cyborg. If Dana is anything, he's a self-serving flip flopper (I really hate that term because of it's overuse in politics but DW defines the word. ) He doesn't seem to have a problem leap-frogging someone to the front of the line when it suits him. But it could just be a part of "Daddy's" strategy to begin building big hype for the fight....y'all think?

Cyborg: "Make it happen Daddy."....love it!
Old 02-26-2014, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie View Post
I read that too, Kevin, about what Dana said regarding Cyborg. If Dana is anything, he's a self-serving flip flopper (I really hate that term because of it's overuse in politics but DW defines the word. ) He doesn't seem to have a problem leap-frogging someone to the front of the line when it suits him. But it could just be a part of "Daddy's" strategy to begin building big hype for the fight....y'all think?

Cyborg: "Make it happen Daddy."....love it!
the hype is there now .. before someone loses, it needs to be done ... but dana knows that cyborg will kill women's mma if she wins .. let's face it, its sad, but true .. for a women to be well known in athletics, she not only has to be good, but pretty .. heck, she doesn't even have to be that good .. for years anna kournikova was the highest paid tennis player, all because of her looks ... ronda can be made up to look pretty and dana can say she is the best as long as she is champ .. dana was sooo mad at herb dean for stopping the urijah/renan fight early, but was glad with this stoppage .. his cash cows in gsp, anderson and brock are no longer champs .. he is gonna do whatever he can to keep ronda champ
Old 02-26-2014, 07:37 PM
Student of the Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by rearnakedchoke View Post
the hype is there now .. before someone loses, it needs to be done ... but dana knows that cyborg will kill women's mma if she wins .. let's face it, its sad, but true .. for a women to be well known in athletics, she not only has to be good, but pretty .. heck, she doesn't even have to be that good .. for years anna kournikova was the highest paid tennis player, all because of her looks ... ronda can be made up to look pretty and dana can say she is the best as long as she is champ .. dana was sooo mad at herb dean for stopping the urijah/renan fight early, but was glad with this stoppage .. his cash cows in gsp, anderson and brock are no longer champs .. he is gonna do whatever he can to keep ronda champ
You are completely right, RNC. Even in the olympics this happens. When Lindsay Vonn stated that she was not going to compete, the US olympic team added Lolo Jones to the bobsled team. She was 5th or 6th best and was not deserving to go, but she is good looking and could be dubbed "America's Sweetheart".

I am sure there will be more roadblocks that DW or RR will throw at Cyborg, but if he would just take his business hat off for a minute and see how this fight is needed for the sport itself, hopefully he makes it happen.