Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 02-25-2014, 09:26 PM

Default Gilbert Melendez

So...he was going to leave, now he is staying and is coaching TUF opposite Pettis.

So this basically means Jose Aldo vs Pettis is off? Gilbert won one fight against Diego after losing a title shot and now he is getting another?

Dana seemed so hot about Aldo vs Pettis, what do you all think happened?
Old 02-26-2014, 12:33 AM
Student of the Sport

I think the Pettis/Aldo fight will happen at some point, but I remember hearing that Aldo was not keen on giving up his title to go up and fight Pettis, as that is what the UFC said would have to happen.

Gil and Pettis are going to coach on TUF, maybe Aldo didn't want to coach or maybe the UFC didn't want him to coach against Pettis. Gil was also ready to leave and fight for Bellator, so this was likely the UFC's method of "matching" Bellator's offer.

I don't really have an issue with this as aside from TJ Grant, no one really deserves a title shot that is currently in the division. Gil beat Diego and lost a close decision to Benson, so he is the most worthy of the shot.

Only other thing I can think of is that the UFC is going to bank on both winning and being able to really hype Pettis/Aldo as a superfight in the future.
Old 02-26-2014, 01:21 PM

thats the only way they could have kept gil .. was to give him a better offer .. coaching tuf, title shot .. all part of that .. manny people thought he actually beat bendo, so giving him a title shot is a good idea .. and aldo said he wanted to go up, but kinda changed his mind ... sounded like the same thing with gsp going up to fight anderson .. sounds good, but there is a lot to lose .. sure, LOTS to gain, but i guess you feel like you own your division, why should you give up your belt .. hey, i can't say thats the reason for sure ..