Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 02-18-2014, 08:06 PM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan
Default Feared grappler Ronda Rousey: I'm also the best striker

From MMAJunkie.com (By Mike Bohn February 18, 2014 8:00 am):
Quote:
(This story first appeared in today’s USA TODAY.)

Ronda Rousey possesses arguably the most dangerous ground game in women’s MMA. However, the reigning UFC women’s bantamweight titleholder thinks her striking is of equal threat.

Rousey has worked diligently to raise her comfort level on the feet ahead of Saturday’s UFC 170 pay-per-view headliner with Sara McMann in Las Vegas. That work has paid off after just a brief period of stand-up training, Rousey says, and she feels her skills have already surpassed those of her peers.

“My MMA striking is the best in the game,” Rousey tells USA TODAY Sports.
It’s a bold claim ahead of a historic title defense – one in which Olympic medalists meet in the UFC for the first time; Rousey (8-0 MMA, 2-0 UFC), a 2008 judo bronze medalist, meets McMann (7-0 MMA, 1-0 UFC), a 2004 wrestling silver medalist.

Rousey has earned all of her career wins via armbar submission, but the 27-year-old continues to expand on her horizons and target what was once her weakness. As an athlete who has put in years on the mat, adjusting to punches, kicks, knees and elbows is a difficult task. However, it’s also one Rousey enjoys.

“It definitely is a challenge,” she says. “With judo I spent so many years with a certain posture that the hardest thing was adjusting it.”

The shift from hurling a judo opponent through the air to knocking her out with a punch is no easy feat. Rousey has found success so far, though, and her offensive and defensive striking statistics over her past six fights now hover right around the UFC average.

While “Rowdy” intends to bolster those stats as she feels more comfortable standing, don’t expect her to completely abandon what got her to the dance. In the end, she says, she’ll always posses the instincts of judoka, which means striking will be used to better her chances of taking a fight to the mat.

“I’ve reached a certain level of competition where what’s required out of striking to come into the clinch to grapple is a lot more complicated than at the lower levels,” Rousey says. “It requires much more high-level footwork and striking to be able to use grappling at all.”

As a whole, the level of striking in women’s UFC fights is still a notch below what you’ll find in the male weight classes. Since the adoption of the women’s division in early 2013, a female UFC fighter is yet to score a single knockdown due to a standing strike.

The exact reasoning for the lack of knockdowns is difficult to pinpoint, but from Rousey’s perspective, it’s a product of women’s MMA still being in its infancy.

“It’s a younger side of the sport that’s still developing,” she says. “It’s going to need a little more time before we can reach the same standard the guys are at because they had a big head start.”

Saturday’s bout with McMann marks Rousey’s third title defense since she was appointed UFC champion in early 2013. Some titleholders get more complacent as their reign wears on, but Rousey remains on her toes. She thinks McMann could be her toughest test yet, and despite the growing confidence in her overall game, she can’t take any opponent – especially this one – for granted.

“I approach every fight like I’m fighting for a new belt,” Rousey says. “It doesn’t matter who you’re fighting. You don’t start with an extra score on the scoreboard because you won the last fight.”

For the latest on UFC 170, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of the site.
Old 02-18-2014, 09:10 PM

i'll give her that she is probably the best striker out of the women in mma, but not best striker overall ... i don't see mccann being a problem for her, even in grappling .. rousey by first round arm bar
Old 02-19-2014, 09:09 PM
Student of the Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by rearnakedchoke View Post
i'll give her that she is probably the best striker out of the women in mma, but not best striker overall ... i don't see mccann being a problem for her, even in grappling .. rousey by first round arm bar
I do see McMann being an issue. I think McMann is the closest to Cyborg that there is when talking about strength and if she can get Ronda down, she will keep her there. Striking, yes, Ronda is likely better, but I don't think she stops Sara's takedowns, at least no all of them. While Sara may now win the fight, she wins at least one round which is more than most give her a chance to do.

BTW, I am picking Sara to win by decision.
Old 02-19-2014, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevint13 View Post
I do see McMann being an issue. I think McMann is the closest to Cyborg that there is when talking about strength and if she can get Ronda down, she will keep her there. Striking, yes, Ronda is likely better, but I don't think she stops Sara's takedowns, at least no all of them. While Sara may now win the fight, she wins at least one round which is more than most give her a chance to do.

BTW, I am picking Sara to win by decision.
i would love to see sara win .. not because i dislike ronda, but just because i feel dana has been force feeding mma fans the ronda brand .. i get it, he likes her .. he wants to make her a star and wants to profit off it .. but don't go overboard man .. lol
Old 02-19-2014, 09:50 PM
Student of the Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by rearnakedchoke View Post
i would love to see sara win .. not because i dislike ronda, but just because i feel dana has been force feeding mma fans the ronda brand .. i get it, he likes her .. he wants to make her a star and wants to profit off it .. but don't go overboard man .. lol
Exactly...I agree with you about Dana. Ronda has everything that Dana and the UFC want to try and promote women's MMA. She has the looks, the attitude, and can fight. Problem is, they aren't trying to promote women's MMA, they are only promoting Ronda. For the sake of the sport the best thing that could happen for women's MMA is for Ronda to lose and for TUF straweights to have an impact.

There is not a lot of buzz out there for this fight (partly because this card fell apart). But they are really making this out to be just another walk in the park for Ronda, which sucks. Sara is a dangerous fighter, she has been my pick to dethrone Ronda for about 2 years now. I think this fight may be one fight too soon for Sara, but still think she can pull it off.
Old 02-21-2014, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevint13 View Post
Exactly...I agree with you about Dana. Ronda has everything that Dana and the UFC want to try and promote women's MMA. She has the looks, the attitude, and can fight. Problem is, they aren't trying to promote women's MMA, they are only promoting Ronda. For the sake of the sport the best thing that could happen for women's MMA is for Ronda to lose and for TUF straweights to have an impact.

There is not a lot of buzz out there for this fight (partly because this card fell apart). But they are really making this out to be just another walk in the park for Ronda, which sucks. Sara is a dangerous fighter, she has been my pick to dethrone Ronda for about 2 years now. I think this fight may be one fight too soon for Sara, but still think she can pull it off.
sara has one fight in the ufc almost a year ago against someone winless in the ufc .. cat zingano is the only fight that makes sense, but she is injured .. i think on paper this is close, but in reality, ronda gonna win .. i can only hope that sara wins tho ... lol
Old 02-24-2014, 05:20 PM
Student of the Sport

After watching the fight, if Ronda's striking is the best in the women's division, that isn't saying much. Neither her or Sara showed any technique, it was just swinging. I will give Ronda credit, her striking in the clinch was really good, but her striking in general is not and it has been this way her entire career.

With that said, her fighting Cyborg would be similar. Cyborg is a brawler too. I guess when someone makes a claim that they are the best striker, I expect to see technique and strategy, not throwing caution to the wind and throwing punches like in a toughman competition.