Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 02-19-2014, 08:51 PM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan
Default Dana White: UFC Working on Deal to Create a Standard UFC Uniform

From BleacherReport.com (By Jeremy Botter, MMA Lead Writer Feb 13, 2014):
Quote:
LAS VEGAS—When it comes to fighter sponsorships in the UFC, the winds of change are blowing.

UFC president Dana White confirmed on Thursday that the UFC is working on a deal to create a UFC uniform.

In December, White promised that he was working on a way to fix sponsorships. On Thursday, White told Bleacher Report that the uniform was one thing he was working on to deliver on that promise, but that nothing was finalized.

"We are. We're working on it," White said. "But nothing yet."

According to multiple sources, the deal is with a major apparel company. Our sources also said the uniform will be head to toe—including fight shorts, walkout shirt and hats—and every fighter in the UFC will wear it.

Bleacher Report's sources also noted that several spaces on the shorts and shirt will be reserved for fighters and managers to sell their own sponsorships. But outside of those spots, the uniforms will consist mostly of UFC-branded product and the brand of the apparel company.

The uniform deal would seemingly benefit lower-tier preliminary fighters who have trouble selling sponsorships on their own.

White said he has heard from many of his fighters who are exhausted by the sponsorship game, specifically noting the case of Mac Danzig, who appeared at his UFC on Fox 9 bout against Joe Lauzon in December with plain-white trunks.

"It's not as big as everybody makes it out to be. Those are the guys that are making tons of money anyway, and they make big money on sponsorship," White said. "The lower level guys? They're not making a bunch from sponsorship. We just saw the thing go down with Mac Danzig. He said, 'I'm done. I don't want to deal with this anymore.'

"Do you know how many fighters call me and say they don't want to deal with sponsorships anymore? What can you do? It's not as plentiful as everybody makes it out to be."

The uniform would also help strengthen the UFC brand across its televised events; instead of an array of logos splashed across garish T-shirts and shorts, there will be a uniform look much like the one in other major sporting leagues.

It is a move that has been long predicted by pundits and those involved in the industry.

The UFC has continually attempted to inch toward becoming a mainstream sporting organization with some of the same traits as other professional sports leagues. And every other league—from the NFL and NBA to Major League Baseball and the Premier League—has its own set of uniforms, so it stands to reason that the UFC would want to capitalize on its own brand instead of allowing other companies to use the Octagon to promote competing products.

What does this mean for fighters with major apparel deals with companies like Nike? One would assume that the apparel company that is tasked with creating these uniforms would not want the logos of its competitors appearing on the uniforms. And what about MMA-specific companies such as Bad Boy or Jaco?

It's too soon to answer many of these questions. But whenever the deal is finally finished and announced, it will immediately become one of the biggest stories of the year.
Old 02-19-2014, 08:53 PM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Newcomer Felice Herrig not happy about prospect of UFC uniforms

From BloodyElbow.com (By Nate Wilcox on Feb 18 2014, 3:00p):
Quote:
We posted about Dana White's open musing about the possibility of fighters wearing official UFC uniforms. Well one fighter who isn't digging the idea is newly signed women's Strawweight fighter Felice Herrig, who's known for her wild outifts and brash sexual posturing.

Here's what she had to say on Instagram:
Quote:
I design and custom make all my weigh in and fight outfits so for me this is a very big deal and a very big part of my brand and image.

A lot of fighters like myself get paid more money from sponsors and a lot is based on marketability and mother style I bring to weigh ins and also the fights. Taking that away takes a lot away from what they are trying to do as far as getting people hooked to WMMA.

It's called business and regardless of what some people might think there is a lot more to a fighters business than just the act of them playing their sport.
Herrig will debut on the 20th season of The Ultimate Fighter.
Old 02-19-2014, 08:55 PM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

This is a post by Nate Quarry on the UG:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate 'Rock' Quarry
When I signed with the UFC this is what I was told

We can't pay you much but you can have any sponsors you want.
Then: We need to approve your sponsors.
Then: You can't have any conflicting sponsors.
Then: You can't thank your sponsors after fights.
Then: We are not approving any sponsors that we don't like their product.
Then: Your sponsors have to pay us a fee of $50,000 for the pleasure to sponsor you.
Then: Your sponsors have to pay us a fee of $100,000 for the pleasure to sponsor you.

If a sponsor has a budget of 10k to sponsor a fighter, they are then out. If there are 5 shorts companies in the UFC you can only go to them for a sponsorship. If they have spent their budget or don't want to support an up and coming fighter they give you shorts instead of money. If you're fighting for $6,000 to show and fighting 3 times a year, even $500 makes a big difference. When there is no competition they don't have to pay you. I lost And1 as a sponsor when the UFC enacted the tax.

At the UFC summit a fighter asked if he could wear his own shirt. Dana laughed and said, "Uh... we can talk about it." I turned around and asked the UFC lawyer if I could wear my OWN shirt and he said, "Sure, give me $50,000 and we can talk about it."

People have no clue from the outside what it's like to fight for the UFC. After spending 10-15 years chasing your dream only to see that the company it's been your dream to fight for cares nothing about the fighters and only cares about the bottom line.

When I was fighting for the UFC we got X-Mas presents like an iPod. A very bottom of the line iPod but it was still cool. Now the guys get a gift certificate to the UFC store and can use it ONE day. Any money they don't spend on that day is forfeited.

A fighter gets to use the gym at the hotel he's fighting at for free. The cornermen and everyone with him have to pay. So I'm helping Leben make weight the day of weigh ins and have to pay to go sit in the sauna with him. The UFC couldn't say, "The fighter gets 3 people to go into the gym with him the week of the fight."

That's just nickel and dime stuff.

With every little bit they try to squeeze out of the fighters, the more the other organizations will look more attractive.

I'm incredibly grateful for the opportunity to fight for the UFC and everything I have besides my daughter has come from fighting. But let's not fool ourselves. It's not a charity. It's a business. And they are doing everything they can to make money. The fighters are just a product to use and discard. Every up and coming fighter is the best ever. Every ex-fighter who then expresses an opinion is a coward, loser, etc, etc.

I fought for the world title for $10,000. Not a penny more. No bonus. No cut of the PPV. The gate alone was 3.5 million dollars. The third highest gate in UFC history at the time. And they must have loved the fight cuz they show the final punch at the start of EVERY UFC PPV. :-)

And that's fine. Because it's a business. But sooner or later the allure of fighting in the UFC will not be as attractive as fighting for an organization that takes care of you, appreciates you, will let you have sponsors to help make up the income gap, doesn't trash you when you think for yourself, and on and on. Just like every business you work for. It's funny to me to hear people cheer for Dana when he says things that if he was your boss and he said them about you, you would be looking for another job. But when you're signed to a contract, you can't go anywhere. No matter how much you want to.

When I retired I received a form letter, EMAILED to me that said, "Should you choose to fight again you are still under contract with the UFC." I didn't even get a hard copy with a real signature that I could frame.
As I said, I love what the UFC has done for me and my family. And specifically what Dana has done for me.

But I also know it's a business. And that's the best piece of advice I can give to wanna be fighters. Fight for the love of the game. But you better treat it like a business. Because the promoter handing you a contract sure will.
Old 02-22-2014, 03:42 AM

Wow. That's pretty deep. Honestly, I didn't know anything like this stuff.