Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Christianity

Old 02-11-2014, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattHughesRocks View Post
It starts off with "Hail Mary", that throws me...she isn't a Redskin But why bother with that prayer when you can go straight to the source (God). Does it say in the bible somewhere that it's what you need to do our is it a made up thing by Catholics. That's another thing that blows my mind, where do they (Catholics) get the ideas that they "need" to do some of the things that they do when it isn't clear any where in the bible that it's what you need to be doing. That's why I think of Catholic more like "club"...or a gang even
well, i could give you my thoughts on it, but it would offend a lot of people ...

as dave said, the catholic church has a lot to do with ceremony etc ... the sacrements being the major part of the catholic church .. so i gues a lot of these thngs came from historical practices .. but yes, a lot of it is not biblical ..
Old 02-11-2014, 05:56 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateR View Post
Praying to the Virgin Mary and/or the Saints is nothing short of idolatry and it disqualifies Roman Catholicism from being considered a Christian Denomination. Anyone who believes that praying to false gods is somehow compatible with Christianity is likely not a true Christian.
Only according to you

The logic of it, is that they do not pray, but ask for others to pray for them. The only difference between them and you...is that they ask those Christians who are also dead...because, truely, in Christ, their is no past, present or future. Personally I wouldnt bother with it...but its theologically sound from a Christian point of view.

...if you truely meant it, you would reject the canon of the new testament, compiled, completely by Rome...and go back to the Heretical mass of "scriptures" floating around the early church...which you dont...because you are illogical, irrational, hypercritical...and wrong.
Old 02-11-2014, 06:05 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattHughesRocks View Post
That's what I'm thinking. I can't even get my head wrapped around WHY anyone would pray to Mary...say 10 Hail Mary's...seriously..what's a "Hail Mary" anyway?
They do NOT pray to Mary.

They ask HER to pray for them.

It is a standard and agreed form of petition.

...and its beautiful in choral format. Its not even called "Hail Mary" its called The Angelus. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7BbncHyw9E Just listen to the beautiful diction of the singer...never heard latin sound like that before...and READ THE TRANSLATION...oh and recognise also that the word "Hail" is not just a show of status, but a form of Greeting....at the time this literny was composed, it was akin to a formal "hello" in latin....most of the literny is nothing more then the Magnificat...a statement directly out of the bible!
Old 02-11-2014, 06:08 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
It's a chant to a demonic entity.
WTF would you know about "demonic entities" absolutely nothing, judging on what i've seen from you in the past seven years. anything you dont understand, or dont like, is from the devil according to you. Thank GOD you were born in this era, and not the medieval. Youd be the first to burn a witch no doubt
Old 02-11-2014, 06:22 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
So the idea of praying through another person has no basis in Scripture whatsoever.
Well then...lets here you put your money where your mouth is...and ban prayer requests on this forum

When two or three are gathered in my name..... What you just dont seem to get is that Romans make no distinction between Christians Past and Present. A dead Christian is still in communion with God, just as a live Christian is. A dead Christian is still part of the Bride of Christ, just as a live Christian is. When we mention "Community of saints" we mean ALL THE FAITHFUL...both dead and alive.

You talk to me now, you ask me to pray for you.....that is no different to a Roman, then asking Mary to do the same thing...you dont seem to mind living people praying for you...why do you hate dead people praying for you....They do not cease to exist because they have shrugged off their mortal coil.

Why Mary specifically? well probably because she is the closest to Christ in terms of the Biblical narrative. But the Romans dont just ask her for prayers...the sacred literny lists all the major saints of the Roman Church...the name is read alloud, followed by the word "oreamus" which means, "pray" bascially...again, another beautiful choral work...this particular piece was what the college of cardinals processed into conclave, they picked Francis, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CP0hE1qPhqg

I oughta add...the order of the procession includes Choir, followed by members of the Roman Curia, Former Cardinals who have retired, and Cardinals over the age of the conclave Vote, I think one of the final two is Bertone..Vatican Secretary of State. Then the active vote cardinals, and then the warden of the college...the pope...who shouldnt really be there, but retired rather then died, is last to enter...it should be noted that during the conclave that picked him, he was actually the Warden, and last in then also. Behind Benedict, but not officially part of the Procession is the Carmelengo...He is the person who organises and rules the vatican during an interegnum...Liturgically, they dont use that word...they call it "Sede Vacante" meaning The Vacant Chair...its a reference to The Bishop of Romes Cathedra...want to know some useless information? His Cathedral...his primary Throne, doesnt reside within Saint Peters Basilica. Of course not, because St Peters isnt in Rome, but in The Vatican, and so His Seat is as Bishop of Rome, in a Cathedral outside the vatican. Officially, the Pope therefore does not rule from Saint Peters Basilica....its a little known fact, even amoung Catholics

The Pope Rules from the ArchBasilica (as in, more important then St Peters) of Christ The Saviour And Saint John of Lateran. Similarly, his official residence is not the Apostolic Palace...but the Lateran Palace....As well as Saint Peters and Saint John Lateran...the Bishop of Rome can take jurisdiction over two other Basillicas in Rome who technically speaking are run by Priest and therefore dont really have a Bishop, they include Saint Mary Major, and Saint Pauls, which is technically speaking not in Rome, but "outside the walls" of the city.

...and tommorow March 12th is the same date this happened lol

Last edited by Tyburn; 02-11-2014 at 06:54 PM.
Old 02-11-2014, 07:09 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamt View Post
catholics believe the Pope is God on earth, or at least His voice, so they obey him as God, they think he is the heir to the apostle peter
Which Pope...there are about Five people in Christondom that carry that name.

...All of them are "Gods Representative" on Earth....All of them acknowledge each other...and All of them claim Apostolic Succession.

If one is not aware of this, how can other things that one declaires be trusted as truth?
Old 02-11-2014, 09:05 PM
Stump Rules!

I guess it's just I don't see any real point to any of these things. It doesn't get you into heaven.It's just a bunch of unnecessary ritual, which I just don't do rituals.
Nothing personal though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyburn View Post
They do NOT pray to Mary.

They ask HER to pray for them.

It is a standard and agreed form of petition.

...and its beautiful in choral format. Its not even called "Hail Mary" its called The Angelus. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7BbncHyw9E Just listen to the beautiful diction of the singer...never heard latin sound like that before...and READ THE TRANSLATION...oh and recognise also that the word "Hail" is not just a show of status, but a form of Greeting....at the time this literny was composed, it was akin to a formal "hello" in latin....most of the literny is nothing more then the Magnificat...a statement directly out of the bible!

http://stumpdotcom.com/
Old 02-11-2014, 09:08 PM
Stump Rules!

Dave, your Catholic? I should have known

Old 02-11-2014, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Only according to you
Not hardly Dave. That's a common opinion shared by um... MILLIONS of people including me.

Quote:
...but its theologically sound from a Christian point of view.
We would have to agree on your definition of the word Christian before this statement could be even remotely true. As far as mainstream Christianity here in our country, no it's not theologically sound. If it was then the practice would be embraced by all Christians. As it is now it's only embraced and even then only half heatedly by Catholics.

Quote:
...because you are illogical, irrational, hypercritical...and wrong.
Bitter much Dave? We get it. You're still butthurt because you're not a mod or Nate has somehow wronged you and you just can't let it go but really.... this is starting to bore me.
Old 02-12-2014, 03:09 AM
Stump Rules!

Hey! No fighting in my thread!
Dave be nice to NateR!