Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Christianity

Old 02-10-2014, 03:10 PM
Stump Rules!

Exclamation Christian Vs Catholc-What's the difference

What are the major differences in Christians and Catholics. I'm speaking in terms of...why shouldn't a Christian girl date,marry, a Catholic man? Just wondering...
Please hurry

http://stumpdotcom.com/
Old 02-10-2014, 05:45 PM

like in all religions, you have people interpretting the bible different ... catholics have a different interpretation of the bible than christians ... catholics have been labelled as non-christians on this site plenty of times and some catholic posters have left because of it ... i'd say don't worry if the guy is catholic .. if you wanna marry him, marry him!!!!!
Old 02-10-2014, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rearnakedchoke View Post
like in all religions, you have people interpretting the bible different ... catholics have a different interpretation of the bible than christians ... catholics have been labelled as non-christians on this site plenty of times and some catholic posters have left because of it ... i'd say don't worry if the guy is catholic .. if you wanna marry him, marry him!!!!1
She's showing good judgment by asking ?s first before getting too involved with someone who might or might not be compatible with her.
Old 02-10-2014, 06:47 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattHughesRocks View Post
What are the major differences in Christians and Catholics. I'm speaking in terms of...why shouldn't a Christian girl date,marry, a Catholic man? Just wondering...
Please hurry
There is no difference between Christians and Roman Catholics in terms of the Christian Faith....Roman Catholicism is known as a Denomination of Christianity, just like Baptist, Methodist, Anglican...etc.

Unless you are the Monarch of England, you are permitted by any Denomination to marry someone of a different Denomination.

However, there are differences between the denominations. Roman Catholics are High Church...so they will enjoy pomp, ritual, sung litergy, sung literny, a very formal setting of Holy Communion...and they will NOT allow YOU to receive Communion at their Churches UNLESS you become a member of that denomination via Baptism or Confirmation.

The Roman Church runs under the authority of The Roman Curia...a Council based in The Vatican City and headed by The Bishop of Rome, also known as "The Pope" or "Pontifex Maximus"

The Roman Church is run on a local basis in an Episcopal Manner, that means each area is split into Diocese, headed by a Bishop, above him an Archbishop, and above him a Cardinal. Cardinals are known as "Princes of The Church" and many have positions within the Curia itself...they meet together to decide which one of them should be Bishop of Rome when a Pope dies or resigns.

Inside the Roman Tradition there are certain societies, and it IS very important that if you do get involved with a Roman Catholic, you find out if he is a member of any religious, or monastic society...there are many, and they originated from times when the Church ran its Monastic programmes...they are what remains of the Roman Catholic Mystics and Contemplatives...the most famous are the Jesuits, the Benedictines, and the Augustinians...If your man turns out to be one of them, then get back to me and I can provide more detail on that particular society.

Remember...it also matters how devote he is...he might call himself Catholic...but does he actually follow the Popes advice, or like many Romans...simply ignore what the Pope says?

Questions to ask include...does he accept forms of contraceptive...because in theory Catholics shouldnt...but most do.
How Marian is he..? What is his Views on Mary? Was she without sin? Was she assumpted or did she die?
Does he ask the saints for intercessions? Does he wear a medalion with a saint on it?
Does he believe in Transubstantiation? What are his views on Vatican Two?

Like with Anglicanism...there is room for a great many levels in one denomination.

I dont think, ultimately, you would get along theologically with someone VERY Roman. But someone who was at the low church end of Romanism, you might be able to tollerate.
Old 02-10-2014, 06:53 PM
Stump Rules!

What are the BIG SIGNIFICANT differences.
BTW haven't dated him yet. That's why I'm asking now

Quote:
Originally Posted by rearnakedchoke View Post
like in all religions, you have people interpretting the bible different ... catholics have a different interpretation of the bible than christians ... catholics have been labelled as non-christians on this site plenty of times and some catholic posters have left because of it ... i'd say don't worry if the guy is catholic .. if you wanna marry him, marry him!!!!!

Old 02-10-2014, 06:53 PM
Stump Rules!

Now I just wait for the answer I want to hear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie View Post
She's showing good judgment by asking ?s first before getting too involved with someone who might or might not be compatible with her.

Old 02-10-2014, 06:58 PM
Stump Rules!

I've cut, copied and pasted and put into a Word doc() your questions I'm to ask him.
I was thinking that he can go to my ( when I find a new one....long story..) . He's supposed to obey me isn't he?
That whole praying to Mary is too freaky for me too...hummm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyburn View Post
There is no difference between Christians and Roman Catholics in terms of the Christian Faith....Roman Catholicism is known as a Denomination of Christianity, just like Baptist, Methodist, Anglican...etc.

Unless you are the Monarch of England, you are permitted by any Denomination to marry someone of a different Denomination.

However, there are differences between the denominations. Roman Catholics are High Church...so they will enjoy pomp, ritual, sung litergy, sung literny, a very formal setting of Holy Communion...and they will NOT allow YOU to receive Communion at their Churches UNLESS you become a member of that denomination via Baptism or Confirmation.

The Roman Church runs under the authority of The Roman Curia...a Council based in The Vatican City and headed by The Bishop of Rome, also known as "The Pope" or "Pontifex Maximus"

The Roman Church is run on a local basis in an Episcopal Manner, that means each area is split into Diocese, headed by a Bishop, above him an Archbishop, and above him a Cardinal. Cardinals are known as "Princes of The Church" and many have positions within the Curia itself...they meet together to decide which one of them should be Bishop of Rome when a Pope dies or resigns.

Inside the Roman Tradition there are certain societies, and it IS very important that if you do get involved with a Roman Catholic, you find out if he is a member of any religious, or monastic society...there are many, and they originated from times when the Church ran its Monastic programmes...they are what remains of the Roman Catholic Mystics and Contemplatives...the most famous are the Jesuits, the Benedictines, and the Augustinians...If your man turns out to be one of them, then get back to me and I can provide more detail on that particular society.

Remember...it also matters how devote he is...he might call himself Catholic...but does he actually follow the Popes advice, or like many Romans...simply ignore what the Pope says?

Questions to ask include...does he accept forms of contraceptive...because in theory Catholics shouldnt...but most do.
How Marian is he..? What is his Views on Mary? Was she without sin? Was she assumpted or did she die?
Does he ask the saints for intercessions? Does he wear a medalion with a saint on it?
Does he believe in Transubstantiation? What are his views on Vatican Two?

Like with Anglicanism...there is room for a great many levels in one denomination.

I dont think, ultimately, you would get along theologically with someone VERY Roman. But someone who was at the low church end of Romanism, you might be able to tollerate.

Old 02-10-2014, 07:41 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
I've cut, copied and pasted and put into a Word doc() your questions I'm to ask him.
I was thinking that he can go to my ( when I find a new one....long story..) . He's supposed to obey me isn't he?
Well...If he is perpared to go to your church, then that answers a lot of things, because strict Roman Catholics would not go to any other denomination.

But you should ask him the questions, because they are great talking points...and you do need to know what he thinks if your to get together long term.

There is nothing that says HE should Obey YOU He should Obey his Parents, and The Pope...
Old 02-10-2014, 10:38 PM
Stump Rules!

I'm pretty sure the obeying promise is in the wedding vow...at least it will be in mine

I'm just glad it isn't a sin to marry a Catholic cause you just never know!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyburn View Post
Well...If he is perpared to go to your church, then that answers a lot of things, because strict Roman Catholics would not go to any other denomination.

But you should ask him the questions, because they are great talking points...and you do need to know what he thinks if your to get together long term.

There is nothing that says HE should Obey YOU He should Obey his Parents, and The Pope...

Old 02-11-2014, 03:26 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Praying to the Virgin Mary and/or the Saints is nothing short of idolatry and it disqualifies Roman Catholicism from being considered a Christian Denomination. Anyone who believes that praying to false gods is somehow compatible with Christianity is likely not a true Christian.