Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12-20-2013, 08:14 PM
Tyburn's Avatar
Tyburn Tyburn is offline
Angry @ Injustice!
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: England
Posts: 16,952
Default Fighter Of The Year

Sooo...who would yours be...and why?

I have quite a systematic way of calculating my Fighter of the year. Each event I select who I think is the best fighter on the card, and then at the end of the year I choose from a shortlist of five, drawn from that batch. I always include those who have been selected on more then one event in the year, and anyone else who I feel has done something fantastic.

The one rule I have is that you can only be fighter of the year once...I gave my Fighter of the year in 2012 to Chris Weidman..so I did not give him the award this year for deposing Anderson Silva.

I shall be back after my FOTY video is uploaded and tell you who I have chosen, but I'm interested to see who you would choose.

Oh and its not a mistake that I put this in the UFC section...after all, if one really considers the UFC as the prime market, then the fighter of the year cant possibly be selected from another institution can they? which is why, going all the way back to 2000 backdated from 2010 when I first decided to do this...you wont find Fedor in the list

Here is the list

2000 - Patrick Miletich
2001 - Tito Ortiz
2002 - Jens Pulver
2003 - Randy Couture
2004 - Chuck Liddell
2005 - Matt Hughes
2006 - Rich Franklin
2007 - Georges Saint-Pierre
2008 - Anderson Silva
2009 - BJ Penn
2010 - Anthony Pettis
2011 - Jon Jones
2012 - Chris Weidman

2013...?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12-20-2013, 09:00 PM
Tyburn's Avatar
Tyburn Tyburn is offline
Angry @ Injustice!
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: England
Posts: 16,952
Default

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tf_maHGxxAc
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-21-2013, 07:10 PM
kevint13's Avatar
kevint13 kevint13 is offline
Student of the Sport
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Greeley, CO
Posts: 682
Default

The easy pick would be Ronda Rousey for what she has done for womens MMA. But I am going with Mighty Mouse. He successfully defended his title 3 times this year, which is more than any other champion. The amount of times he fought and his success makes him my FOTY.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-22-2013, 06:53 AM
Bonnie Bonnie is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Where the bluebonnets bloom
Posts: 6,637
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyburn View Post
I agree with your final two picks, Dave. l liked how you cut the music at the end when showing the past winners...nice touch. Also how you went backwards ending with Pat Miletich

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevint13 View Post
The easy pick would be Ronda Rousey for what she has done for womens MMA. But I am going with Mighty Mouse. He successfully defended his title 3 times this year, which is more than any other champion. The amount of times he fought and his success makes him my FOTY.
He's always exciting to watch.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-22-2013, 08:28 PM
Tyburn's Avatar
Tyburn Tyburn is offline
Angry @ Injustice!
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: England
Posts: 16,952
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie View Post
I agree with your final two picks, Dave. l liked how you cut the music at the end when showing the past winners...nice touch. Also how you went backwards ending with Pat Miletich



He's always exciting to watch.
Well it was hard enough to squeeze them all in on one track...there is music for the FOTY recap...but its just a sort of drum rythm, and so quiet, one can bearly even hear it...Last year I did a similar thing...but I used the tune "See the conquering hero comes" I just fancied a change.

(see the 3.55 mark) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jf4mf7Xy7Dw

I only began my FOTY in 2010, so everything before that is backdated, I had absolutely no wish to delve back pre this Century because it was sooo far before I was interested in MMA, the people are mere names on the page to me. For me, it literally all started with Patrick Miletich, He was my introduction to MMA, the first bit of footage I ever saw was his championship match with carlos newton....and that was about five years old at the time I saw it. But I became quite interested in his story so to speak, and the group of people he had around him. At the time Matt Hughes was half way through his Second Reign, and the only person who seemed to have anything in the way of an interactive online set up...and that was only just developed, in the fall of 2005, the same time i discovered MMA.

The forum somewhat waylaid me, I suppose, and I never really got to Patrick in the end. But looking back, he kind of represents to me the second generation of fighters, not those who set the whole thing up, a time when the UFC was not Zuffa, which I dont know, but those who founded the modern structure, who laid down the rules, who devised the original weight brackets...of which, the most important, has always been the Welterweight category, and whose camp has owned the division practically dynastically, and looks like its set to continue that trend in 2013.

For me he was a good place to begin, a year dot, so to speak. For me, the UFC before Patrick Miletich as Welterweight Champion, may as well not have ever existed, because I know little about it, and care even less. Whereas everything that has happened since. The rise and fall of Jens Pulver, The founding and continuation of TUF, The return of Jens Pulver, the Rise and Fall of Matt Hughes, The recognition of the Lower Weight Divisions through WEC, The inclusion of Matt Hughes in the hall of fame, and his promotion to the Executive, The collapse of Pride, EliteXC, Strikeforce, and WEC, the rise of Bellator, and now the inclusion of women, the dominace, and of late, fall, of some of the uber champs...and now the probable rise of Robbie Lawler...all of this begins with Patrick Miletich....I guess Pat is my Royce Gracie, so to speak
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-22-2013, 08:44 PM
Tyburn's Avatar
Tyburn Tyburn is offline
Angry @ Injustice!
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: England
Posts: 16,952
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevint13 View Post
But I am going with Mighty Mouse.
I quite agree

Whilst Chris Weidman did depose Anderson Silva, I already foresore his greatness, and gave him FOTY 2012, so that I could basically snub Benson Henderson who was blessed with one two many decision victories..equally, decisions are why I felt I couldnt give it to Johny Hendricks, we all know he beat GSP...but, technically speaking, he didnt, and that technicality counts...Anthony pettis was another top prospect, but he has already been FOTY in 2010, winning at the close of WEC, and another champion I pretty much foresore. Ricardo Lamas hasnt done quite enough yet for me to be certain enough...and whilst its arguable that Jose Aldo really oughta some time win a FOTY award...he's never quite good enough to shine the brightest on his cards...and THE ONLY WAY to become Fighter Of The Year, is to have been awarded BEST of one of the cards...and I do that for a good reason. With so many tallented young men, I need not just know that they shine bright, but that they have shone brightest on one of the cards. Demetrious Johnson was nominated TWICE this year...two out of the three times he fought, he was the best on his entire card by my calculation...Jose Aldo was nominated once in 2012, and not at all this past year....Johny Hendricks has reached the short list last year, and this year...in theory, even he is doing better then Jose Aldo....So whilst you might expect to see Jose Aldo in my FOTY winners montage...he isnt as of yet, and has bearly featured...maybe this year will be better for him
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-26-2013, 01:18 PM
VCURamFan's Avatar
VCURamFan VCURamFan is offline
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Basketball Capital of the World
Posts: 14,324
Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyburn View Post
I quite agree

Whilst Chris Weidman did depose Anderson Silva, I already foresore his greatness, and gave him FOTY 2012, so that I could basically snub Benson Henderson who was blessed with one two many decision victories..equally, decisions are why I felt I couldnt give it to Johny Hendricks, we all know he beat GSP...but, technically speaking, he didnt, and that technicality counts...Anthony pettis was another top prospect, but he has already been FOTY in 2010, winning at the close of WEC, and another champion I pretty much foresore. Ricardo Lamas hasnt done quite enough yet for me to be certain enough...and whilst its arguable that Jose Aldo really oughta some time win a FOTY award...he's never quite good enough to shine the brightest on his cards...and THE ONLY WAY to become Fighter Of The Year, is to have been awarded BEST of one of the cards...and I do that for a good reason. With so many tallented young men, I need not just know that they shine bright, but that they have shone brightest on one of the cards. Demetrious Johnson was nominated TWICE this year...two out of the three times he fought, he was the best on his entire card by my calculation...Jose Aldo was nominated once in 2012, and not at all this past year....Johny Hendricks has reached the short list last year, and this year...in theory, even he is doing better then Jose Aldo....So whilst you might expect to see Jose Aldo in my FOTY winners montage...he isnt as of yet, and has bearly featured...maybe this year will be better for him
So because you were bitter about one guy, you gave it to someone who didn't deserve it last year. And now, when a win Saturday night would absolutely cement him as FotY, your arbitrary "Only 1 award" rule prevents him from getting it.

In my opinion, the FotY should be like any of the ___ of the Night awards: no one thinks it unfair for Joe Lauzon or Christ Lytle to have 80 billion awards.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-26-2013, 02:00 PM
F34R F34R is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,101
Default

Cain Velasquez!
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12-26-2013, 02:19 PM
VCURamFan's Avatar
VCURamFan VCURamFan is offline
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Basketball Capital of the World
Posts: 14,324
Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by F34R View Post
Cain Velasquez!
He's done a great job, defending his belt twice this year (he won it on Dec 29th, 2012, so just barely missed 3 title wins in a calendar year), but I don't think he's made enough waves. Demetrius Johnson defended his belt 3 times this year, and has looked better every. Single. Time. From the come-back win over John Dodson to the late submission over John Moraga to the vicious KO over Joe B, he's everything you could ever want from a divisional champ. I my opinion, the only way that anyone can snake the FotY title away from him is if Weidman beats Anderson again. To defeat the greatest fighter in MMA history twice in the same year? You can't deny him what he deserves.

(Unless you're Dave & your weird rules/previous grudges are coming back to bite you in the ass! )
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 12-26-2013, 07:16 PM
Tyburn's Avatar
Tyburn Tyburn is offline
Angry @ Injustice!
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: England
Posts: 16,952
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCURamFan View Post
So because you were bitter about one guy, you gave it to someone who didn't deserve it last year. And now, when a win Saturday night would absolutely cement him as FotY, your arbitrary "Only 1 award" rule prevents him from getting it.

In my opinion, the FotY should be like any of the ___ of the Night awards: no one thinks it unfair for Joe Lauzon or Christ Lytle to have 80 billion awards.
It is generally accepted that Benson won all his decision in 2012, but if you dissagree with some of those decision wins, then it wouldnt be pertinent to award his FOTY, that would be hypocritical considering one would no doubt have said that they dissagreed with the Judges decision. Weidman had done enough to qualify if one discounted Hendersons gifted decisions.

As for this year...well it depends on what happens this weekend...largely popular opinion appears to still be that Anderson Silva will win, because popular opinion honnestly states that Chris won because Silva was messing around rather then concentrating...another reason why it wouldnt really be right, prior to this rematch, on the basis of the former doubt to give him FOPTY this year.

My MOTC awards are more like the UFCs awards, because they are given out every card for the best on that card, and one can get many...but in a similar way to the UFC hall of fame, there is no need to induct the same fighter more then once...so when judging on the best of the year, its a bit silly to give it to the same person.

The real problem is its slightly prejudice anyway...I mean how does one really judge the criteria for best? most won throughout the year? most retained titles? how many points for a deposition...? it would end up like the UFC rankings...pretty much meaningless and distorted.
__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:19 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.