Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > MMA

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 12-20-2013, 12:31 PM
TexasRN's Avatar
TexasRN TexasRN is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Texan living in NC
Posts: 4,707
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by flo View Post
Well, let's face it, there is already man vs. woman fights since the "transgendered" guy was allowed to fight as a woman (can't remember his name right now).

Just my 2 cents but I'm sorry that Dana went back on his word and has brought women into the UFC.
I agree 100%. I was surprised that he changed his mind. I don't and won't watch them.


~Amy
__________________
__________________________________________

My son made this for me:
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 12-20-2013, 06:38 PM
Bonnie Bonnie is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Where the bluebonnets bloom
Posts: 6,587
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by flo View Post
Well, let's face it, there is already man vs. woman fights since the "transgendered" guy was allowed to fight as a woman (can't remember his name right now).

Just my 2 cents but I'm sorry that Dana went back on his word and has brought women into the UFC.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRN View Post
I agree 100%. I was surprised that he changed his mind. I don't and won't watch them.


~Amy
Yeah, I really hate seeing the women getting hit in the face, it's just not the same as watching the men getting hit. Even then, at times, it's even hard watching when the guys are receiving repeated blows to their head and face. At those times, all I can think about is, "what's happening to their brains?"

Not too long ago I saw a news piece on children competing in mma matches/fights. They showed arm bars and chokes, just like the adults, I was shocked. I know kids learn karate and judo, etc., but I don't agree with children competing like adults in mma, if that is what's happening--they didn't specify if the same rules apply, for instance, if someone doesn't "tap". How do y'all feel about this?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 12-20-2013, 08:12 PM
VCURamFan's Avatar
VCURamFan VCURamFan is offline
Allons-y
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Basketball Capital of the World
Posts: 14,298
Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie View Post
Not too long ago I saw a news piece on children competing in mma matches/fights. They showed arm bars and chokes, just like the adults, I was shocked. I know kids learn karate and judo, etc., but I don't agree with children competing like adults in mma, if that is what's happening--they didn't specify if the same rules apply, for instance, if someone doesn't "tap". How do y'all feel about this?
Yeah, I saw that same thing & I wasn't sure how I felt about it. Let me ask you this, though: what do you think about kids BJJ matches? Because I love seeing those little tikes go at it on competition day.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 12-20-2013, 11:18 PM
TexasRN's Avatar
TexasRN TexasRN is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Texan living in NC
Posts: 4,707
Default

I worry about the kids in BJJ matches because their joints can still be very loose and the strain of that kind of sport can do long term damage that they'll regret later in life. Now, when you say "kids" are you meaning like 5 years old and up or teens? I'm all for teens (12 and up) who can handle the knowledge and be responsible learning it. Before age 12, I much prefer them learning TKD or boxing with dummies to learn technique. I know some programs are super careful and make sure that when a joint lock is correct, it doesn't get cranked at all. I just worry about the competition when adrenaline runs high and you don't always realize your own strength or the other person's limits.


~Amy
__________________
__________________________________________

My son made this for me:
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 12-21-2013, 03:26 AM
Bonnie Bonnie is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Where the bluebonnets bloom
Posts: 6,587
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCURamFan View Post
Yeah, I saw that same thing & I wasn't sure how I felt about it. Let me ask you this, though: what do you think about kids BJJ matches? Because I love seeing those little tikes go at it on competition day.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRN View Post
I worry about the kids in BJJ matches because their joints can still be very loose and the strain of that kind of sport can do long term damage that they'll regret later in life. Now, when you say "kids" are you meaning like 5 years old and up or teens? I'm all for teens (12 and up) who can handle the knowledge and be responsible learning it. Before age 12, I much prefer them learning TKD or boxing with dummies to learn technique. I know some programs are super careful and make sure that when a joint lock is correct, it doesn't get cranked at all. I just worry about the competition when adrenaline runs high and you don't always realize your own strength or the other person's limits.


~Amy
They didn't specify ages, and of course, kids, like some adults, can "look" younger than their actual age, but the ones I saw appeared to look a bit younger than teens. Ben, my concerns with the kids is what Amy points out about their young bodies, and their judgment.

Ben, how do you feel about watching women fight? Also, I'm sure their are some women who could beat some men, but I don't want to see men fighting women either.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 12-23-2013, 12:56 AM
Vizion's Avatar
Vizion Vizion is offline
Hughes fanboy
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 2,214
Default

The fact that there was discussion of the issue begs for the issue to be explored later on.

The day will come when people will reverse everything from right to wrong and from wrong to right.

Am I off base in saying this? Sometimes I feel like the crazy street preacher on this forum
__________________


Please consider England in your prayers!

http://www.intercessuk.org/iuk3/
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 12-23-2013, 01:11 PM
VCURamFan's Avatar
VCURamFan VCURamFan is offline
Allons-y
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Basketball Capital of the World
Posts: 14,298
Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRN View Post
I worry about the kids in BJJ matches because their joints can still be very loose and the strain of that kind of sport can do long term damage that they'll regret later in life. Now, when you say "kids" are you meaning like 5 years old and up or teens? I'm all for teens (12 and up) who can handle the knowledge and be responsible learning it. Before age 12, I much prefer them learning TKD or boxing with dummies to learn technique. I know some programs are super careful and make sure that when a joint lock is correct, it doesn't get cranked at all. I just worry about the competition when adrenaline runs high and you don't always realize your own strength or the other person's limits.


~Amy
I was thinking about kids (5-12), not teens (13+). I guess I'm "spoiled", because of how things are run at USGrappling. Andrew (my coach/co-owner of USGrappling) only has 1 or 2 refs that he lets run the kids matches, and they are HYPER-aware of anything that might possibly be dangerous. They talk to all the parents before hand & make a big deal of saying "I have no clue what your kid's flexibility is or his toughness or if he's double-jointed and I will call a match if I think he's in danger, even if he doesn't tap. I'm telling you this now so that you don't get pissed during a match, because I'm not going to let your child be injured on my watch, even if you think they could keep going. I don't want that on my conscience."

It's just adorable seeing a 5yr-old boy & a 6yr-old girl trying to foot sweep each other 'cause it looks like they're dancing in their pajamas.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie View Post
They didn't specify ages, and of course, kids, like some adults, can "look" younger than their actual age, but the ones I saw appeared to look a bit younger than teens. Ben, my concerns with the kids is what Amy points out about their young bodies, and their judgment.
Yeah, I think there's a ton of responsibility that falls into the lap of the adults running the event, but that's the case in every activity that kids do. Football, little league, swimming, video games, etc.: kids rely on their parents & coaches & referees to make sure that they don't go too far by accident. Our sport might be newer (and therefore not as commonplace), but the challenges of protecting a child from his own inexperience & enthusiasm if the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie View Post
Ben, how do you feel about watching women fight? Also, I'm sure their are some women who could beat some men, but I don't want to see men fighting women either.
I like the women's fights! I think they're really talented & can really throw down. Some of them are boring, just like men's fights. Some of them are mismatches, just like men's fights. Some of them don't necessarily belong in the UFC yet, just like men's fights. But then there are a lot of them that are absolutely world class & put on an amazing show for the fans, just like men's fights!

I'll be honest, I'm almost as stoked about Rousey/Tate II Saturday night as I am about Weidman/Silva II. So excited I get to work this event!!
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 12-23-2013, 03:40 PM
TexasRN's Avatar
TexasRN TexasRN is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Texan living in NC
Posts: 4,707
Default

Yeah, Ben. I've met Andrew and I agree that he runs a very clean competition. I still have his cell phone number in my contacts list. I just worry that there are other places that don't and won't teach the kids how much harm can be done by taking the joint locks too far or who let little angry brats in the gym who hurt others on purpose out of anger.

I know the gym that my kids went to in Texas had very specific rules about what kids are allowed to do any mma activities and most were turned away. My son was allowed to participate when he asked because he was able to show restraint and is very even keeled emotionally. They knew he wouldn't go to school and start choking other kids out. He was 11 by then. My daughter had no desire to do any of that. She liked the forms competitions for TKD.

With the twins, hubby and I have discussed what sports we'd want to expose them to and TKD is one we are fine with. Hubby would like to get them into krav maga but that one makes me nervous. He said it will be good for them to be able to defend themselves. So I don't know. If we find a really good program, we may go for it.

As for women, I'm all for women getting to be in sports and compete. I was in the mma classes at the gym and there were definitely guys who wouldn't want to partner with me in class. The instructor would yell at them and tell them that I could likely kick their a$$ so they better step up. Then he'd say that if any of the guys wouldn't partner with anyone the instructor picked regardless of gender, they should leave. I like women getting to compete. I just don't want to watch it on tv PPVs.


~Amy
__________________
__________________________________________

My son made this for me:
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 12-23-2013, 04:09 PM
TexasRN's Avatar
TexasRN TexasRN is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Texan living in NC
Posts: 4,707
Default

And the reason I have his cell number has to do with the competitions we were doing at the time, nothing else. I figured I better clarify that.


~Amy
__________________
__________________________________________

My son made this for me:
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 12-26-2013, 12:41 AM
Tyburn's Avatar
Tyburn Tyburn is offline
Angry @ Injustice!
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: England
Posts: 16,910
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRN View Post
I agree 100%. I was surprised that he changed his mind. I don't and won't watch them.


~Amy
me either
__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 03:40 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.