Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 11-26-2013, 05:49 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Unhappy Rich Franklin wants to retire :(

"You know, I lost my last fight, and that really kind of solidified my decision to make this my last fight coming up. I know that took me out of title contention and so for me to get back into the title hunt would be a couple years' worth of work and I know that. I'm 39, I'll be 40 next year and it's getting to the point where it's late in my life and it's really too late to have that title run so I started questioning, what am I really fighting for, if I can't make it to the title anymore? I know I'm not in title contention anymore and I realize that so, that's how it is."

He says he wants his next fight to be his last
Old 11-26-2013, 09:40 PM
Stump Rules!

At least he knows when to hold em'...knows when to fold em'.. knows when to walk away...

Hey it was a good run while it lasted...

http://stumpdotcom.com/
Old 11-26-2013, 11:20 PM
7X Prediction Champ !!!!!

He really has nothing more to prove. UFC is what it is today because of him and others like Matt Chuck and such
Old 11-27-2013, 03:16 AM
Super Moderator

*sigh*

I love Rich Franklin. I miss the good old days of Rich, Jeremy Horn, Matt, etc. but when it's time, it's time. Rich deserves to go out happy and healthy and on his own terms. I wish him all the happiness in his retirement.

~Amy

My son made this for me:
Old 11-27-2013, 03:29 AM
Stump Rules!

The good ol days

[IMG][/IMG]

http://stumpdotcom.com/
Old 11-27-2013, 08:25 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattHughesRocks View Post
The good ol days

[IMG][/IMG]

Rich Franklin is the only person who I met unplanned on the spur of the moment, who recognised me from my Video Predictions before I has chance to tell him who I was

A very intelligent individual For me, his Retirement really would prove to be the last of a specific generation of Fighters, those who I first knew when I first encountered MMA, and who were still in their prime, or just about at their hey-days.

They are like the third real generation, not the ones who founded the UFC, not the ones who underwent the transition between SEC and Zuffa, and the weight classes...but the first institutionalized Fighters I suppose....We are now in the fourth generation which are producing superfighters who are so well rounded they bearly have weaknesses...I suppose the generation after that will start to produce those who were actually born into the sport and cross trained from birth...

IDK...but I certainly feel like Rich Franklin has become the last of his kind, Chuck Liddell is gone, Randy Couture is gone, BJ Penn is gone, Matt Hughes is gone....Who is there left in that Generation? CroCop? Fedor...? do they even fight anymore UFC wise...I would feel like the world of MMA that I knew when I first started on this forum pretty much dies upon Franklins Retirement...that does make me sad...because I care far more for His Generation then the one we are experiencing now...all your GSPs and your Anderson Silvas, and you Jon Jones...they lack a certain amount of honnesty and integrity, because it is no longer part of the championship culture...They care to much about protecting a legacy to understand that true legacy isnt made that way...but by being able to do what the institution ask of you, and still having the ability to win

Sure...he might be right to retire now...but I still think it will be a sad day personally
Old 11-29-2013, 03:52 AM

Don't count out BJ Penn just yet. He will be back for at least one more fight and TUF. Hopefully he will win and we can continue to watch him compete.
Old 11-30-2013, 01:53 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liddellfan View Post
Hopefully he will win and we can continue to watch him compete.

am rooting for the other guy

Old 12-01-2013, 02:15 AM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan

I feel like an old fogey when I see all the guys i "grew up" rooting for retire.
Old 12-01-2013, 10:52 AM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCURamFan View Post
I feel like an old fogey when I see all the guys i "grew up" rooting for retire.
same here