Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > The Woodshed

Old 11-27-2013, 04:21 PM
SupaDupaMod

Send a message via Yahoo to Neezar

Old 11-27-2013, 06:15 PM

I love before and after pictures. You have a very good eye for design. After all these years, I still tend to plant too close together...

Someone asked me once when the garden would be finished and I said "When I'm dead".

Rejoice ever more. 1 Thessalonians 5:16
Old 11-27-2013, 08:11 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neezar View Post
Moon flower is a Generic name given to a lot of different types of plant, that flowers at night rather then day...I suspect thats ipomoea...which is for all intense a purposes, a night flowering clemetis...the thing to watch with this is that once established they can become impossible to destroy, and they grow the speed of weeds...rapid, rapid, rapid.

I have been at war with a Celemtis ever since I moved to Markenfield...its actually a type of honeysuckle...OMG it is impossible to get rid of I've tried everything from pruning back to a barren stump...to burrying the carcass in stone, and covering it with plastic sheeting...the plant wont die, it simply tunnels along the surface, or under the surface and pops up again

Beautiful...but be very sure to keep it under control...dont be afraid to prune it...trust me, thats probably on your property for life

All your gardens are so much nicer and better then mine
Old 11-27-2013, 09:26 PM
SupaDupaMod

Send a message via Yahoo to Neezar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyburn View Post
Moon flower is a Generic name given to a lot of different types of plant, that flowers at night rather then day...I suspect thats ipomoea...which is for all intense a purposes, a night flowering clemetis...the thing to watch with this is that once established they can become impossible to destroy, and they grow the speed of weeds...rapid, rapid, rapid.

I have been at war with a Celemtis ever since I moved to Markenfield...its actually a type of honeysuckle...OMG it is impossible to get rid of I've tried everything from pruning back to a barren stump...to burrying the carcass in stone, and covering it with plastic sheeting...the plant wont die, it simply tunnels along the surface, or under the surface and pops up again

Beautiful...but be very sure to keep it under control...dont be afraid to prune it...trust me, thats probably on your property for life

The winters are too cold here for it to come back next spring. I have to buy new seeds and start over each year. I wished it would come back!
Old 11-27-2013, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyburn View Post
No they aren't!! It's all subjective and the main thing is that you are planting!!!

Actually, clematis is a completely separate family although some of the blooms look similar. Ipomoea, Morning glory and sweet potato are all related genera in their own family. I think that gorgeous white-blossomed vine of Neez's is Ipomoea alba...

Old 11-28-2013, 05:44 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neezar View Post
The winters are too cold here for it to come back next spring. I have to buy new seeds and start over each year. I wished it would come back!
You live in a Clime where Winter kills Clematis

Your virtually on the Tropics no I am at the latitude of Southern Canada, and my Winters have next to no impact on such plants...except, to send them into all too brief dormancy.

What sort of Tempritures in Winter do you experience???...I thought you were also in a coastal state, so surely the waters helps maintain a slightly higher temp then inland...I mean...if you want to know what a body of water can do...look at Chicago in mind winter...burried under a tonne of snow...look at London...not even a flake
Old 11-28-2013, 05:54 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flo View Post
No they aren't!! It's all subjective and the main thing is that you are planting!!!

Actually, clematis is a completely separate family although some of the blooms look similar. Ipomoea, Morning glory and sweet potato are all related genera in their own family. I think that gorgeous white-blossomed vine of Neez's is Ipomoea alba...
Sweet potato you say....we had thought of growing that in the allotment, but we ran out of money for the seed potatoes

My Garden is a little haphazard....more has died then lived...I have finally got my Cordyline to live, my ornimental grasses are large enough now that they dont really die back in winter....The fan palm has its leaves burned by wind, but it perserveres, the date palm litterally dies almost a death in winter, and then grows a couple of new shoots in the summer, and then the winter comes and it nearly dies again...the red hot poker grasses grow, but wont flower, the bulbs are confused and try to grow in autumn as they should do in spring. Two out of three lupins survive, but only one looks good. The mini pine hasnt done a thing in a year, the holly is somehow dying, the rock plants are spreading at less then a cm per year...the alpines and the heathers look the worse for wear, the accidental planting of a water reed has thrived because it bloody rains so much, and Nana I will admit looked dead over winter and then took over half the whole garden, and the fluffy blue bell flowers but constantly gets swamped by next doors weed filled boarder, the stupid Cyclamin grows UNDERNEITH the Cabbage Lilly in near complete darkness...everything else, the canana, the bananaplants, the yukkas, and those colourful plants, celosia and marigolds became extinct...the hellibourosorientalis has been through hell and high waters but is huge and gives great winter flowers...and the rhodedendron...well..we dont talk about that

Whereas all your gardens are like structured and neat, with decorative brick boarders, and the proper soils for the proper plants...
Old 11-28-2013, 06:31 PM

Your rhododendron didn't DIE, did it???

Old 11-30-2013, 01:55 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flo View Post
Your rhododendron didn't DIE, did it???
No...actually, it seems to have adapted...its looking more healthy, I havent yet decided whether to leave it, or to dig it into a pot...
Old 01-12-2014, 08:49 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

After a month of over the festive period I made my return to the allotment today, to find it covered with frost

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-Zx8-kSFbE