Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Politics

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #31  
Old 10-07-2013, 05:56 PM
Play The Man's Avatar
Play The Man Play The Man is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,259
Default

Quote:
Across North Carolina, thousands of people have been shocked in recent weeks to find out their health insurance plans will be canceled at the end of the year – and premiums for comparable coverage could increase sharply.

One of them is George Schwab of Charlotte, who pays $228 a month for his family’s $10,000 deductible plan from Blue Cross and Blue Shield of North Carolina.

In a Sept. 23 letter, Blue Cross notified him that his current plan doesn’t meet benefit requirements outlined in the Affordable Care Act and suggested a comparable plan for $1,208 a month – $980 more than he now pays.

“I’m 62 and retired,” Schwab said. “This creates a tremendous financial burden for our family.

“The President told the American people numerous times that… ‘If you like your coverage, you can keep it,’” Schwab said. “How can we keep it if it has been eliminated? How can we keep it if the premium has been increased 430 percent in one year?”

Read more here: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/201...#storylink=cpy
__________________
"Be of good comfort, Master Ridley, and play the man! We shall this day light such a candle, by God's grace, in England, as I trust shall never be put out."
--Hugh Latimer, October 16, 1555
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 10-07-2013, 10:21 PM
Bonnie Bonnie is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Where the bluebonnets bloom
Posts: 6,587
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by County Mike View Post
Obama is our president because America is full of idiots. Green Day was right.
I thought that's what I said.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 10-08-2013, 01:01 AM
NateR's Avatar
NateR NateR is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 6,299
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rearnakedchoke View Post
http://images.businessweek.com/bloom..._COUNTRIES.pdf

http://www.businessinsider.com/best-...ld-2012-6?op=1


let me guess ... these sources are not reliable enough ... look at the evidence ... the US has the best technology in the world when it comes to healthcare.. what good is it if only the rich can afford it ...
Well, the first link just goes to a table of "The World's Healthiest Countries" according to Bloomberg, but the criteria used to determine their results have more to do with lifestyle choices (smoking, obesity, activity level, etc.) and average income, not availability or quality of healthcare.

For the second link, I'm not sure if you actually read the article itself, but the results of those studies are very much in question.

If you click on the link in article you posted, then you will see a detailed explanation of why the results of the World Health Report 2000 ranking are based on outdated and incomplete data. But just in case you didn't see it (or didn't even bother to read your own "evidence"), here is the link that questions the validity of the WHO study:
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB125608054324397621.html

If you read the article, you will see that even WHO representatives would not consider their own ranking to be current.

I understand that you made up your earlier comments and then had to scramble to find anything at all to support your claim, so as to not appear to be talking out of the side of your neck; but you need to be a little more thorough and it helps if you actually read the articles that you post as "evidence".
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 10-08-2013, 02:44 PM
rearnakedchoke rearnakedchoke is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,555
Default

like i said, the sources aren't reliable right ... sure, whatver you say ... in the end, your country is working on a new health care system, and in the end, should make for a healthier country ... in fact, the system in the US will probably end up being better than most ... civilians having to pay for their health insurance will kinda force them into a healthier lifestyle .. insurance companies will charge lower premiums to those leading a healthier lifestyle, just like they do for drivers who are better drivers ...
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 10-09-2013, 01:00 PM
TexasRN's Avatar
TexasRN TexasRN is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Texan living in NC
Posts: 4,707
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Play The Man View Post

This exact thing happened to my husband. I'm adding him to my healthcare plan this month so he'll have coveraage but he is young, healthy, and had savings just for medical expenses should they occur. No need for him to have some extensive health care plan. We wanted some coverage in place for catastrophic events only. Then BCBS of NC sent him the same letter. It'll be cheaper for hubby to go on my insurance and then we'll add the twins when they are born. My employer based insurance is extremely good but pricey. It's crazy that it'll be cheaper to buy better insurance that was already offered by my employer when Obamacare said the exact opposite would happen.


~Amy
__________________
__________________________________________

My son made this for me:
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 10-09-2013, 03:03 PM
VCURamFan's Avatar
VCURamFan VCURamFan is offline
Allons-y
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Basketball Capital of the World
Posts: 14,298
Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRN View Post
This exact thing happened to my husband. I'm adding him to my healthcare plan this month so he'll have coveraage but he is young, healthy, and had savings just for medical expenses should they occur. No need for him to have some extensive health care plan. We wanted some coverage in place for catastrophic events only. Then BCBS of NC sent him the same letter. It'll be cheaper for hubby to go on my insurance and then we'll add the twins when they are born. My employer based insurance is extremely good but pricey. It's crazy that it'll be cheaper to buy better insurance that was already offered by my employer when Obamacare said the exact opposite would happen.


~Amy
Markel just sent out a notification to us about this:
To ensure compliance with The Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (“Health Care Reform”), Markel is required to provide all employees with the attached notice of coverage options available through the Health Insurance Marketplace (the “Marketplace,” also referred to as the “Exchange”). The purpose of the notice is to inform employees of the existence of the Marketplace, describe the services of the Marketplace and provide contact information about the Marketplace.


Since Markel offers full-time employees with an employer-sponsored plan that meets both the minimum value and affordability guidelines of Health Care Reform, Markel employees are not eligible to receive a premium tax credit through the Marketplace.
I wanted to make sure I understood it right, so e-mailed my dad (who also works here at Markel):
So this basically means that we don’t have to switch over, right?
His response:
From Markel’s perspective it means that

Markel has done their legally required duty in notifying you that there is such a thing as an Exchange where you could buy your insurance and possibly save money there.

They’ve done their legally required duty in notifying you that the plans they do/will offer will qualify with the new laws, and what is the cost of the lowest priced option is among those plans (employee only), so you could compare that to whatever the Exchange has to offer.

And they’ve done their legally required duty in notifying you that, because the plans they offer meet the requirements, you would not qualify for a tax credit if you buy your insurance through the Exchange.

And yes, from our perspective it means that we don’t have to change, and likely we’d be crazy to buy our insurance from the government. (That would be interesting … would government health insurance pay for your treatment if you were declared legally insane for buying health insurance from the government … ?)

Have I mentioned I love my dad?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 10-09-2013, 09:54 PM
NateR's Avatar
NateR NateR is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 6,299
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rearnakedchoke View Post
like i said, the sources aren't reliable right ... sure, whatver you say ...
I didn't say that the first link you provided wasn't reliable, I just pointed out that it wasn't really relevant to the point you were trying to make.

As for the second one, it's an article about a 13-year-old study done by the World Health Organization that the WHO itself doesn't even stand behind. So, why should you or I take any of it as fact?

It's pretty clear that you simply got caught talking out of your ass and had to scramble to find something to support your comment. So you found a couple of links that looked promising and, instead of actually studying the information they gave to see if they really did support your point, you posted them and your plan was to try to make me appear unreasonable and closed-minded because I would rather critically examine the information, instead of taking it at face value.

It seems that you never learned how to debate outside of the internet, because your reasoning skills haven't really matured beyond grade-school level thinking.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 10-10-2013, 01:54 PM
rearnakedchoke rearnakedchoke is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,555
Default

[QUOTE=NateR;202202]I didn't say that the first link you provided wasn't reliable, I just pointed out that it wasn't really relevant to the point you were trying to make.

As for the second one, it's an article about a 13-year-old study done by the World Health Organization that the WHO itself doesn't even stand behind. So, why should you or I take any of it as fact?

It's pretty clear that you simply got caught talking out of your ass and had to scramble to find something to support your comment. So you found a couple of links that looked promising and, instead of actually studying the information they gave to see if they really did support your point, you posted them and your plan was to try to make me appear unreasonable and closed-minded because I would rather critically examine the information, instead of taking it at face value.

It seems that you never learned how to debate outside of the internet, because your reasoning skills haven't really matured beyond grade-school level thinking.[/QUOTE]

LOL

i stand behind my statement that i made ... look at a list of the healthiest countries in the world and there is a correlation on what type of system they have in place with regards to healthcare ... call it what you want, talking out of my ass or whatever ... if the current system in the US was working, they would be near the top of the list .. i am not saying that ACA is the perfect solution, but a solution is needed ... i think now that people are accountable for their health with regards to paying for insurance, most of them will start to take better care to keep premiums low .. it will take time, because people have bad habits ... but it will happen .. and i think the system will also improve over time ... and in time, it will perhaps be a better than most system .. but we won't know until its been in place for a while ... but until then, i guess i am just talking out my ass!
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 10-10-2013, 08:11 PM
Neezar's Avatar
Neezar Neezar is offline
SupaDupaMod
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: South
Posts: 6,478
Send a message via Yahoo to Neezar
Default

This is a disaster.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 10-10-2013, 08:11 PM
Neezar's Avatar
Neezar Neezar is offline
SupaDupaMod
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: South
Posts: 6,478
Send a message via Yahoo to Neezar
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCURamFan View Post
Markel just sent out a notification to us about this:
To ensure compliance with The Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (“Health Care Reform”), Markel is required to provide all employees with the attached notice of coverage options available through the Health Insurance Marketplace (the “Marketplace,” also referred to as the “Exchange”). The purpose of the notice is to inform employees of the existence of the Marketplace, describe the services of the Marketplace and provide contact information about the Marketplace.


Since Markel offers full-time employees with an employer-sponsored plan that meets both the minimum value and affordability guidelines of Health Care Reform, Markel employees are not eligible to receive a premium tax credit through the Marketplace.

I wanted to make sure I understood it right, so e-mailed my dad (who also works here at Markel):
So this basically means that we don’t have to switch over, right?

His response:
From Markel’s perspective it means that
Markel has done their legally required duty in notifying you that there is such a thing as an Exchange where you could buy your insurance and possibly save money there.

They’ve done their legally required duty in notifying you that the plans they do/will offer will qualify with the new laws, and what is the cost of the lowest priced option is among those plans (employee only), so you could compare that to whatever the Exchange has to offer.

And they’ve done their legally required duty in notifying you that, because the plans they offer meet the requirements, you would not qualify for a tax credit if you buy your insurance through the Exchange.
And yes, from our perspective it means that we don’t have to change, and likely we’d be crazy to buy our insurance from the government. (That would be interesting … would government health insurance pay for your treatment if you were declared legally insane for buying health insurance from the government … ?)


Have I mentioned I love my dad?
I think I love him, too.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 07:42 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.