Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Politics

Old 09-28-2013, 10:28 PM
Administrator

Here's an interesting article about the student loan debt that most doctors end up with:
http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/0...ent-debt/?_r=0

A key quote for those people thinking that doctors are only concerned about affording their second summer home:
Quote:
For almost three generations, debt has been a nearly inescapable part of becoming a doctor. Over 80 percent of each medical student class will graduate in debt; and while that percentage has remained unchanged for 25 years, the increase in the total amount owed has leapfrogged over all other economic reality checks, like inflation and the consumer price index. According to the Association of American Medical Colleges, which has been trying to address the problem for nearly a decade, young doctors who graduated from medical school last year had an average debt of $158,000, or $2.3 billion for the group as a whole. Almost a third of students owed more than $200,000, a number that will only increase with the addition of interest over payback periods of 25 to 30 years.
So it takes them 25-30 years to pay back all of their student loan debt under the current system. If doctors are going to start getting reduced wages because of Obamacare, then they could be looking at being buried in student loan debt for their entire life. So, what's the incentive to becoming a doctor under this new plan? The medical profession would essentially become a new form of slavery.
Old 09-30-2013, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateR View Post
Here's an interesting article about the student loan debt that most doctors end up with:
http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/0...ent-debt/?_r=0

A key quote for those people thinking that doctors are only concerned about affording their second summer home:

So it takes them 25-30 years to pay back all of their student loan debt under the current system. If doctors are going to start getting reduced wages because of Obamacare, then they could be looking at being buried in student loan debt for their entire life. So, what's the incentive to becoming a doctor under this new plan? The medical profession would essentially become a new form of slavery.
doctors aren't the only people coming out of college with loans .. and like anything else, no one is forcing them to become doctors ... like i said, years of colluding to make the price of medical treatments high is the problem (as it was pointed out, this is also the problem of the insurance companies) ... people need insurance to drive, so they have to pay the price for whatever is out there .. people need medical treatment, same thing ...
Old 09-30-2013, 09:17 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rearnakedchoke View Post
doctors aren't the only people coming out of college with loans .. and like anything else, no one is forcing them to become doctors ... like i said, years of colluding to make the price of medical treatments high is the problem (as it was pointed out, this is also the problem of the insurance companies) ... people need insurance to drive, so they have to pay the price for whatever is out there .. people need medical treatment, same thing ...
That's exactly my point. No one is forced to become a doctor. However, if a person can only look forward to a lifetime buried under crushing debt with no way out, then what is the incentive to become a doctor?

Yes, people need car insurance to drive in the US, however that's very different compared to what's being required of us here.

For one, I only need to buy enough car insurance to cover damage that I do to someone else's car. That's state minimum coverage. I am not required to buy insurance that covers damage to my car or my own body, in the case of an accident where I am at fault.

Secondly, I only need to purchase car insurance if I want to drive a car. If I decide to walk to work or ride a bike, then I never need to buy insurance.

Obamacare is essentially taxing people just for the privilege of being alive. The penalty for not purchasing health insurance was described as a tax by Obamacare's defenders, which means it's a tax. So the two laws are not even comparable.

The entire point of this law was to fix the problem of skyrocketing healthcare costs and the fact that most people can't afford health insurance. So their solution is to force those same people, who couldn't afford health insurance before, to buy health insurance at a significantly increased cost or face IRS fines and/or jail time? That's simply immoral and you would really have to be an idiot to defend it.

That's like telling a single-mother, who is struggling to keep food on the table, "Oh, we know that you are having trouble affording groceries with your salary, so what's we're going to do is double the price of food and then mandate exactly what food we decide you should be buying for your children. And if you don't buy the food we tell you to buy, at the increased price, then we're going to take your kids away and throw you in prison."
Old 10-03-2013, 02:09 PM

Quote:
That's exactly my point. No one is forced to become a doctor. However, if a person can only look forward to a lifetime buried under crushing debt with no way out, then what is the incentive to become a doctor?

Yes, people need car insurance to drive in the US, however that's very different compared to what's being required of us here.

For one, I only need to buy enough car insurance to cover damage that I do to someone else's car. That's state minimum coverage. I am not required to buy insurance that covers damage to my car or my own body, in the case of an accident where I am at fault.

Secondly, I only need to purchase car insurance if I want to drive a car. If I decide to walk to work or ride a bike, then I never need to buy insurance.

Obamacare is essentially taxing people just for the privilege of being alive. The penalty for not purchasing health insurance was described as a tax by Obamacare's defenders, which means it's a tax. So the two laws are not even comparable.

The entire point of this law was to fix the problem of skyrocketing healthcare costs and the fact that most people can't afford health insurance. So their solution is to force those same people, who couldn't afford health insurance before, to buy health insurance at a significantly increased cost or face IRS fines and/or jail time? That's simply immoral and you would really have to be an idiot to defend it.

That's like telling a single-mother, who is struggling to keep food on the table, "Oh, we know that you are having trouble affording groceries with your salary, so what's we're going to do is double the price of food and then mandate exactly what food we decide you should be buying for your children. And if you don't buy the food we tell you to buy, at the increased price, then we're going to take your kids away and throw you in prison."
Bingo! And not only do we the taxpayers get to pay for other peoples insurance, but we have to try and afford ours. Another example of the government robbing Peter to pay Paul..........eventually, Peter is going to run out of money! Then what?
Old 10-03-2013, 02:24 PM
Hailey's Dad

Check out the facebook page Healthcare.gov. TONS of people complaining about the website to sign up for Obamacare being full of errors.

Then, the people who finally do get through to sign up are finding out that the premiums are super high and deductibles are super high. The site won't offer estimates unless you sign in and give all your info first. Nothing but a giant scam.
Old 10-03-2013, 02:45 PM

Quote:

the thing is, is that a very small percentage of the country (you can take any country for that matter) is going to go their whole life never needing medical care .. so most people will need to go ... relying on your employer for insurance is not good enough ... imo, not only is the ACA to make healthcare more affordable for all americans, but it is also going to make Americans healthier, and arguably make the US stronger! ... if you don't have coverage, you will put things off, but with insurance, you will get things checked out, make sure you are healthy ... this will in turn make the population healthier and will probably make people less reliant on other programs ... if you look at a list of countries with the best universal healthcare in the world, and a list with the healthiest countries, i am sure you will find a good chunk in the top 10 of each list are common ...

obama is looking long term at the health of all americans ... in the long run, this will be a benefit to the US
Old 10-03-2013, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by County Mike View Post
Check out the facebook page Healthcare.gov. TONS of people complaining about the website to sign up for Obamacare being full of errors.

Then, the people who finally do get through to sign up are finding out that the premiums are super high and deductibles are super high. The site won't offer estimates unless you sign in and give all your info first. Nothing but a giant scam.
its a new system ..... gonna have some glitches and some growing pains ....
Old 10-03-2013, 02:47 PM
Allons-y

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan

Here's something "fun":

http://www.americanthinker.com/blog/...gSgeU.facebook
Quote:
Guess what the new Obamacare 1-800 National Hotline spells out? Weasel Zippers first figured out what 1-800-318-2596 spells.

That is, 1-800-3(F) 8(U) 2(C) 5(K) 9(Y) 6(O)

Here is the clueless Kathleen Sebelius giving out the number.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=Gx_nu5WDYR8

Last edited by VCURamFan; 10-03-2013 at 02:53 PM.
Old 10-03-2013, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCURamFan View Post
Here's something "fun":

LOL
Old 10-03-2013, 03:59 PM
Hailey's Dad

Quote:
Originally Posted by rearnakedchoke View Post
its a new system ..... gonna have some glitches and some growing pains ....
Sure, the system itself but people are complaining about the high cost of the "affordable" health care plan. Problem is, they don't get to know how much it will cost until after they've begun the signup procedure and already entered their info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCURamFan View Post
Funny, except they didn't account for the 1 (which has no letters, so maybe that's why.)