Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Politics

Old 07-17-2013, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinsmama View Post
I know I could kill someone who is beating me up and get away with it too. (although get away with it sounds like you are doing something illegal and not getting in trouble so i will say "justified to do it") i would be surprised and outraged if i was arrested too. In my opinion he should never have been arrested.

I've heard so many things that people say are facts about this case that are things they want to be facts

In Florida there is a stand your ground law. I know it isn't in most states but since it happened here I will tell you what I know about Florida. We have a stand your ground law that means you no longer have to retreat if you feel threatened. You can protect yourself. Also to get a concealed weapons permit you must do a class that tells you all the right and wrong ways to carry and when to use your weapon. You can not act like a cop. Which some people are saying he did. My feeling is following the guy wasn't acting like a cop. You can not pull a gun unless you are in fear for your life. From what I understand he didn't pull it before he was getting whooped.

I never knew I had so many racist friends until this happened.

What would you guys do if you had someone walking through a neighborhood close to houses. Assume the guys wearing a hoodie so you can't tell anything about his features/age. Would you call the police? Follow him? For the ones that would follow what would you do if he/she turned on you and started beating you up? If you knew there was a home invasion in your neighborhood prior to seeing this above mentioned suspicious person would you feel differently? Home invasion meaning there were people home?

Me and my husband have had this talk many times since this happened.
this is why i didn't buy gz's story of how things happened .. there was a video evidence of him being asked if he knew about florida stand your ground laws/self defense etc ... he said he didn't know and his teacher stated that this was of particular interest among the group and they spent a lot of time on it ... gz was changing the story to make himself look innocent ... also the fact that he lied about his $$ situation to get his original bail revoked gave a pretty good idea of his credibility ... like i said in another post, best way to claim self defence is make sure there are no witnesses ... something raul rodriguez didn't do well ...

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_1...round-defense/

seems to me if your latino and kill a white person, you get 40 years ... if you are latino and you kill a black kid, you go free ... but hey, i am just an ignorant canadian who knows nothing about gun laws in the US
Old 07-17-2013, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rearnakedchoke View Post
I think manslaughter was a good option to go for, but I don't think the prosecution wanted that, they wanted murder and they were never going to get that imo ... I think if they had the ms charge with an option for criminal negligence etc, they probably woulda have gotten Zimmerman on something like that .. I think the jury believed he should have gotten something, but when presented poorly with murder, ms and nothing, the only reasonable option was acquittal ...
what makes you think it was manslaughter? i mean obviously someone died but what exactly makes you think he did something wrong?
Old 07-17-2013, 05:14 PM

Quote:
what makes you think it was manslaughter? i mean obviously someone died but what exactly makes you think he did something wrong?
i think he was trying to be a cop .. he knew he had a gun .. sure he didn't know what the other guy was carrying, but he knew he had a gun ready with a bullet in the chamber and more in the clip ready to go ... (i know, nothing more useless than a gun that aint loaded) ... he could have called the cops like he did and that was it ... sure, bad judgement isn't illegal, but he followed the kid ... i think that is wrong .. ain't his job ... he was told he didn't have to follow him and based on his credibility, i think he altered the story to save his hide and it worked ...
Old 07-17-2013, 05:20 PM

Quote:
this is why i didn't buy gz's story of how things happened .. there was a video evidence of him being asked if he knew about florida stand your ground laws/self defense etc ... he said he didn't know and his teacher stated that this was of particular interest among the group and they spent a lot of time on it ... gz was changing the story to make himself look innocent ... also the fact that he lied about his $$ situation to get his original bail revoked gave a pretty good idea of his credibility ... like i said in another post, best way to claim self defence is make sure there are no witnesses ... something raul rodriguez didn't do well ...

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_1...round-defense/

seems to me if your latino and kill a white person, you get 40 years ... if you are latino and you kill a black kid, you go free ... but hey, i am just an ignorant canadian who knows nothing about gun laws in the US

i wasn't watching enough to know he lied. lying to the law enforcement in my mind should have some punishment. there is something about the guy that i don't like.

the law is in place to make sure someone protecting themself isn't convicted of murder. on the flip side i'm sure there are people that use it to their advantage. even if the boy lived we still wouldn't know what really happened.

i won't respond to the last statement because it is stupid.
Old 07-17-2013, 05:24 PM

Quote:
i wasn't watching enough to know he lied. lying to the law enforcement in my mind should have some punishment. there is something about the guy that i don't like.

the law is in place to make sure someone protecting themself isn't convicted of murder. on the flip side i'm sure there are people that use it to their advantage. even if the boy lived we still wouldn't know what really happened.

i won't respond to the last statement because it is stupid.
well the punishment was that his bail was revoked and set at a higher $$ level ... as for the other lie, it wasn't under oath and he was within his rights not to take the stand .... imo, i think the prosecution did a terrible job of putting his interview with hannity as evidence ... i don't know what they were thinking ... here we are giving GZ a chance to take the stand, tell his story and not get cross examined ... now i have to do some research and see if the prosecution or defense let that it ... LOL
Old 07-17-2013, 05:27 PM

Quote:
i think he was trying to be a cop .. he knew he had a gun .. sure he didn't know what the other guy was carrying, but he knew he had a gun ready with a bullet in the chamber and more in the clip ready to go ... (i know, nothing more useless than a gun that aint loaded) ... he could have called the cops like he did and that was it ... sure, bad judgement isn't illegal, but he followed the kid ... i think that is wrong .. ain't his job ... he was told he didn't have to follow him and based on his credibility, i think he altered the story to save his hide and it worked ...
if he had pulled the gun before the kid starting hitting him maybe i would agree but since he didn't pull it until after he got injured i'd think he wasn't as trigger happy as people are making it seem.
Old 07-17-2013, 05:51 PM
Hailey's Dad

Regardless of what he knew, he never broke a law. If Trayvon just went home instead of attacking him, nothing would have happened. The only law breaker in this scenario was Trayvon. End of story.
Old 07-17-2013, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by County Mike View Post
Regardless of what he knew, he never broke a law. If Trayvon just went home instead of attacking him, nothing would have happened. The only law breaker in this scenario was Trayvon. End of story.
Exactly.

Rejoice ever more. 1 Thessalonians 5:16
Old 07-17-2013, 08:11 PM

Quote:
i am lost .. sorry .. what does this mean?
I know you're just trolling to stir things up but I'll bite.

The republicans in FL brought this case for political reasons, the police had investigated and decided there weren't grounds to bring a charge against Z. He was defending himself. That's why a jury found him not guilty.

We republicans don't like it when "our side" make very consequential decisions based on political pressure rather than letting the justice system work. This whole FUBAR mess right now (DoJ making noise about a fed case against Z even though the FBI investigation said there were NO grounds for such, the new DoJ site to give "tips" about Z so they can pursue a civil rights case, the CBC comments this morning, stoking the fires of racial hatred and dismissing our treasured justice system, etc) is thanks so them, the media, our embarrassment of a president and the usual race-baiters who make a living off the subject.

Quit stoking the fire. The case you linked to has nothing in common with the Z case with the exception of using self-defense. People can cherry pick cases all they want, this was NOT ABOUT RACE.

Rejoice ever more. 1 Thessalonians 5:16
Old 07-17-2013, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flo View Post
I know you're just trolling to stir things up but I'll bite.

The republicans in FL brought this case for political reasons, the police had investigated and decided there weren't grounds to bring a charge against Z. He was defending himself. That's why a jury found him not guilty.

We republicans don't like it when "our side" make very consequential decisions based on political pressure rather than letting the justice system work. This whole FUBAR mess right now (DoJ making noise about a fed case against Z even though the FBI investigation said there were NO grounds for such, the new DoJ site to give "tips" about Z so they can pursue a civil rights case, the CBC comments this morning, stoking the fires of racial hatred and dismissing our treasured justice system, etc) is thanks so them, the media, our embarrassment of a president and the usual race-baiters who make a living off the subject.

Quit stoking the fire. The case you linked to has nothing in common with the Z case with the exception of using self-defense. People can cherry pick cases all they want, this was NOT ABOUT RACE.
yes .. i honestly didn't know the republicans in fla made this case happen .. i thought it was pressure from everywhere ... but i don't get how you are equating the republicans with the defense ..

as for the other case, it is very similar imo ... raul rodriguez called the police for a disturbance and wanted the police to break up the party ... he brought a gun and when he felt threatened he brandished hit, stood his ground and the others backed off ... one of the others did something to him, grabbed him or whatever (its on tape) and he shot him .. the others rushed in and got shot as well ... he was standing his ground in his opinion, and he is in jail for 40 years