Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Politics

Old 07-15-2013, 06:23 PM
Hailey's Dad

Quote:
Originally Posted by rearnakedchoke View Post
i think the prosecution were made up of terrible lawyers who tried to get the big charge instead of going to reasonable chargers .. in the end, the jury had no choice but to acquit
Manslaughter was an option given to the jury. I thought the prosecution lawyers did a good job with what they had. The problem is, it's hard to convict an innocent man. They definitely tried, but all the evidence backed up Zimmerman's story. As for giving someone else the option to start trouble and then finish it with a gun, that would be incredibly risky. All you need is one witness to say the shooter started the fight. In this case, nobody could say that and the evidence pointed to Trayvon being the instigator of the fight.
Old 07-15-2013, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateR View Post
I don't think that's the right way to phrase it, because you're making it sound like Zimmerman went into the situation with the intent of committing a crime.

A better way to state it would be to say that Zimmerman knew he didn't to anything wrong, but was surprised to actually be charged with a crime for defending himself.

Anytime, someone is in the process of committing a crime and they get killed while the victim is trying to stop that crime, then it should never be considered anything more than manslaughter. Murder was always the wrong charge to file.
I wouldn't let Zimmerman off that easy ... he had seen this before and was mad and didn't want this person to get away .. that is why he followed him .... he said to the dispatcher that these guys always get away with this stuff ... when the dispatcher asked him if he was still following trayvon, he said yes, and was told he didn t have to do that ... so imo, he seemed like he was out to pick this fight, because he knew he had a gun ...
Old 07-15-2013, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by County Mike View Post
Manslaughter was an option given to the jury. I thought the prosecution lawyers did a good job with what they had. The problem is, it's hard to convict an innocent man. They definitely tried, but all the evidence backed up Zimmerman's story. As for giving someone else the option to start trouble and then finish it with a gun, that would be incredibly risky. All you need is one witness to say the shooter started the fight. In this case, nobody could say that and the evidence pointed to Trayvon being the instigator of the fight.
I think manslaughter was a good option to go for, but I don't think the prosecution wanted that, they wanted murder and they were never going to get that imo ... I think if they had the ms charge with an option for criminal negligence etc, they probably woulda have gotten Zimmerman on something like that .. I think the jury believed he should have gotten something, but when presented poorly with murder, ms and nothing, the only reasonable option was acquittal ...
Old 07-15-2013, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flo View Post
If you look at the law and the prosecution's case, this was the just verdict. Kudos to the jury for not being intimidated by the "protestors" at the courthouse.

This incident was willfully misrepresented by the media, the Florida Republicans brought the case for political purposes and the politicians in DC made it racially divisive by their behavior and comments (Obama, Bobby Rush, Federica Wilson, etc.).

This event was a tragedy for the Martin family and the Zimmerman family. The race-baiters got their arrest, trial and verdict. Time for them to accept it and move on.
The Florida Republicans (I is one!) did what???
Old 07-16-2013, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Plus it was just recently revealed that the prosecution withheld information (pictures, in this case) from the defense; a whistle-blower from Corey's office was concerned and finally got them to the defense a few weeks ago (too late for them to use in the trial). Zimmerman's attorneys wanted sanctions against the prosecution for abusing discovery but the Judge said she'd consider after the conclusion of the trial.

Oh, and the whistleblower? Corey fired him yesterday.

That's just one example of a corrupt and biased FL State's Attorney's Office.
Link here.
Angela Corey should be the one Eric Holder and the Justice Dept. should be investigating for violating George Zimmerman's civil rights. She's been indicted now for falsifying the arrest warrant and complaint that lead to Zimmerman being charged with 2nd degree murder. Hopefully she'll be disbarred and spend some time in jail for what she's done.

Also, NBC is in big trouble for editing that 911 call to make it sound like George Zimmerman was a racist who shot and killed a black child. The media has played their part in all the race baiting that has been going on from the very beginning.

Now you've got the race baiters wanting to make this a federal civil rights case even going so far as to compare this case to cases like Emmett Till and James Byrd Jr. They have no shame.

Quote:
Originally Posted by County Mike View Post
Not Guilty was the correct verdict. Whether you agree with him getting out of his car and following Trayvon or not, it wasn't against the law. The only time a law was broken in the entire scenario was when Trayvon Martin attacked George Zimmerman and beat him up.

You can accuse George Zimmerman of bad judgement but not of breaking any laws. He only used his gun when he felt his life was in danger, and rightfully so.
Apparently a lot of people don't understand what the law is, they think he broke the law when he got out of his car, but he didn't. Both of them can be accused of bad judgement that night--if only George Zimmerman had stayed in his car and waited for police; likewise, if only Trayvon Martin had just gone on to his dad's gf's house instead of making the decisions he did.

I applaud the jurors for following the law and not letting emotion guide their verdict.

Last edited by Bonnie; 07-17-2013 at 12:42 AM.
Old 07-16-2013, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
The Florida Republicans (I is one!) did what???
I know how you feel, Chuck, I'm also a Republican. I'll quote a friend of mine who put it best:

Quote:
This Florida v Zimmerman trial would not exist without intervention by Florida Republicans: Governor Scott(R), Attorney General Bondi (R), and Special Prosecutor Corey (R).

Rejoice ever more. 1 Thessalonians 5:16
Old 07-17-2013, 02:12 AM

Quote:
I know how you feel, Chuck, I'm also a Republican. I'll quote a friend of mine who put it best:
Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh that explains it... Rick Scott isn't a Republican. I mean he may have an R after his name but TRUST me, he's no Republican. ;)
Old 07-17-2013, 06:45 AM

Like Charlie Crist, eh Chuck? Even though it's off-topic, I'd like to know your thoughts about Marco Rubio now that he's part of the "Gang of 8" with this immigration bill.

Anyway, here is a very short but interesting article from a FL atty. about the trial.

The Embarrassment of the George Zimmerman Verdict

Rejoice ever more. 1 Thessalonians 5:16
Old 07-17-2013, 03:09 PM

Quote:
i am lost .. sorry .. what does this mean?
Old 07-17-2013, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rearnakedchoke View Post
i agree that the verdict was the correct one, but imo it gives precidence now for people to do what GZ did ... all you have to do is leave as litttle evidence as possible and make sure you kill the other person ... then it becomes easy to follow the evidence ..

it goes to the case of raul rodriguez ... imo, its very similar, except he was video taping the whole thing .. and then he got 30-40 years in prison

i think zimmerman knew he could do this, get away with it .. i think being charged actually was a surprise to him ... i think the prosecution were made up of terrible lawyers who tried to get the big charge instead of going to reasonable chargers .. in the end, the jury had no choice but to acquit
I know I could kill someone who is beating me up and get away with it too. (although get away with it sounds like you are doing something illegal and not getting in trouble so i will say "justified to do it") i would be surprised and outraged if i was arrested too. In my opinion he should never have been arrested.

I've heard so many things that people say are facts about this case that are things they want to be facts

In Florida there is a stand your ground law. I know it isn't in most states but since it happened here I will tell you what I know about Florida. We have a stand your ground law that means you no longer have to retreat if you feel threatened. You can protect yourself. Also to get a concealed weapons permit you must do a class that tells you all the right and wrong ways to carry and when to use your weapon. You can not act like a cop. Which some people are saying he did. My feeling is following the guy wasn't acting like a cop. You can not pull a gun unless you are in fear for your life. From what I understand he didn't pull it before he was getting whooped.

I never knew I had so many racist friends until this happened.

What would you guys do if you had someone walking through a neighborhood close to houses. Assume the guys wearing a hoodie so you can't tell anything about his features/age. Would you call the police? Follow him? For the ones that would follow what would you do if he/she turned on you and started beating you up? If you knew there was a home invasion in your neighborhood prior to seeing this above mentioned suspicious person would you feel differently? Home invasion meaning there were people home?

Me and my husband have had this talk many times since this happened.