Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > MMA

Old 03-12-2009, 10:25 PM
Black Mamba

Default Julie Kedzie talks return to the cage this weekend

In many ways Julie Kedzieís career mirrors the womenís divisions as a whole. In the archives are multiple updates with Julie from her time in HOOK-n-SHOOT through the breakout of the womenís divisions in bodogFIGHT and EliteXC, but like the womenís divisions as a whole since the demise of EliteXC not much was heard from Julie for almost a year. Now as Strikeforce and Bellator are pushing the womenís divisions, Julie returns this weekend to fight in Duke City MMA in Albuquerque, NM.

Julie is coming off an armbar win over Angela Hayes last April. Before joining Jacksonís MMA Julie was known as a good ďgatekeeperĒ, fighting relative legends like Tara LaRosa, Gina Carano, and Amanda Buckner to name a few. After joining Jacksonís she started to seriously climb the ranks, turning Julia Berezikova and Kelly Kobold into the gatekeepers Julie used to be. Her only loss under Greg Jackson was at the next weight class up against tough wrestler Tonya Evinger.

This weekend she faces Sarah Schneider who in her last fight lost a split decision to Jennifer Tate but put on a great performance. Schneider also fought the aforementioned Evinger and defeated Kaitlin Young at Tuff-N-uff.

KM: Tell me about this upcoming fight.

JK: Iím fighting Sarah Schneider out of Kansas City, MO. She is a really good grappler from a tough school. She is really tough, really good ground game, and she can take a beating. It has potential to be a really great war.

KM: She fought in PureCombat against Jennifer Tate.

JK: Yeah. I didnít see it but I heard she showed great jiu-jitsu in that fight. Iím trying not to let it be a high-pressure situation but jiu-jitsu chicks and wrestler chicks seem to have had my number. This is actually a tougher fight than say a standup fighter. All of my losses have been by jiu-jitsu girls except for Gina.

KM: This one is at 135, but Gina was the next weight class up.

JK: I have absolutely no business fighting at 140.

KM: What does this fight mean to your career?

JK: I was hoping I could get a ring rust fight in before I had a serious fight but this is a serious fight. I know for sure it is. She is going to bring her ďA gameĒ. It is a little unnerving, Iím not going to lie, because it has been a year since I fought. That is what you do when you are a fighter so Iím excited to get back in there.

KM: How far out did you hear about this fight?

JK: About three or four weeks but it was still in the works. It wasnít finalized until maybe two weeks ago. We didnít know who to fight; I just wanted to fight locally.

KM: Wasnít your last fight at Battlequest similar where you w