Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-14-2013, 06:17 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Default Outrageous Contracts...

So it turns out that the UFCs basic fighter contract has been made public due to the fact its come up in court with Alverez.

Its funny because no true numbers are used for pay, but we have a load of verbal guarentees by the Management on special bonus etc.

Now, usually I might give the benefit of the doubt to such a company, there is no way that really good fighters would tollerate being paid peanuts...but now im not so sure..

Why?

Well its simple...because they have a written part that they make the same verbal guarentees against concerning fighters being cut.

The Truth is the UFC can terminate your contract the moment you loose a single fight. That is the written statement on fighter contracts being terminated. Whilst of course they assure us they dont use that as a bench mark...the ultimate reality is, they keep who they like, and they terminate who they dont like.

If they can not be honnest about termination clauses, why should we assume they are being honnest about pay rates???

I expect its about as adhoc...the more they like you, I bet, the more they pay you. Its probably as simple as that, and as unbelievably descretionary as that also.

In my opinion, they do not treat their Fighters with the Respect or Fairness they deserve. They hold their most basic fundemental rights, not just whilst the contract runs, but for life...and infact, even hold rights over fighters AFTER they have died. Whilst one presumes thats merely the right to show video taped promotional stuff...that ISNT what it says in the contract, you could very much interpret that differently.

In essence, the Fighter has no rights...and the company has lots of Rights, the right to treat its fighters like slaves should it so wish. If, for example, you get injured in an accident...they could decide to extend the contract without your permission, holding you with them chronologically longer...OR they could take aggreed fights off you, dropping your aggreed quota of fights, and failing to pay you what was a guarenteed pay check. Or...if they like you, they could "ellect" to do nothing at all.

Its like being in King Henrys Court...best stay in favour, or meet Madame Guillotine. Absolutely appauling. The only way to combat this is a Union, that is the only way to make sure this company treats people right....the irony, is that if they treat people well and guarentee them afew rights, they would have found that content people wouldnt even consider the need for such an institution. People never think about their rights, unless they feel they are being unfairly treated.

I knew this was the case with that company when they started cutting good fighters for no reason whatsoever, and keeping their special favourites. They are acting in a corrupt manner...and that wont go down well with non american viewers, who struggle to tollerate "at will employers" anyway, let alone blatant coruption.

I am extremely dissapointed.

See for yourself

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...ghter-contract